advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorothea Beam Egine, the last Cornish Beam Engine contructed in the world, finished in 1905. Capable of pumping water from 500ft depth. Original boilers still intact. Superceded with electric pumps in the 1950s

220112 Dorothea Beam Engine
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

220112 Dorothea Boilers Mono by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Both GFX50S+GF30mm

The definitive account of the construction of the Holman Cornish Engine and sinking of the shaft by the excellent Iain Robinson.

DSCF1124_800px.jpg

A weekend in London with Jess; a visit to the Tate Extension: Fuji X100, handheld, 1/4s exp.

Dorothea Beam Egine, the last Cornish Beam Engine contructed in the world, finished in 1905. Capable of pumping water from 500ft depth. Original boilers still intact. Superceded with electric pumps in the 1950s

220112 Dorothea Beam Engine
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

220112 Dorothea Boilers Mono by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Both GFX50S+GF30mm

I was aware of this engine house, but didn't realise that it was quite so intact, with the engine and boilers still in situ. Sad and surprised to see that it is being allowed to fall apart, there aren't so many of these around.

I was aware of this engine house, but didn't realise that it was quite so intact, with the engine and boilers still in situ. Sad and surprised to see that it is being allowed to fall apart, there aren't so many of these around.

11 apparently and this one is the only with boilers in situ - it was 'restored' starting in the late 1960s

I'm currently trying Capture One 22 and have to say I'm impressed! I would still need Photoshop for a few things so don't see myself abandoning Adobe, but I may pick it up next time it's on sale.

Lefty

I had an email from them today, offering a discount to upgrade to CO22 - also it appears they no longer offer manufacture specific versions so the price has probably gone up to the general 'Pro' level. I will stick with the Fuji CO20 & use Affinity for blending, stacking & panoramas etc. I also don't think the heal & clone layers match up to other programmes

I'm currently trying Capture One 22 and have to say I'm impressed! I would still need Photoshop for a few things so don't see myself abandoning Adobe, but I may pick it up next time it's on sale.

Aspley Woods - 15th Jan 2022 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P

Lefty

Amar, I notice that your last couple of posts have a certain, glowing, softness about them, which is quite noticeable for example juxtaposed against the next post from Pete. Is this a deliberate processing thing, it almost looks on the way to what I think I recall as Orton effect?

I had an email from them today, offering a discount to upgrade to CO22 - also it appears they no longer offer manufacture specific versions so the price has probably gone up to the general 'Pro' level. I will stick with the Fuji CO20 & use Affinity for blending, stacking & panoramas etc. I also don't think the heal & clone layers match up to other programmes

I've just read about this. Interesting. Apparently it's a rationalisation of their product offering with a view to developing a mobile app and also offering cloud storage akin to what Adobe are doing.

Having more a of a play this evening, there are still a fair few things lacking for me.
  • As you say, the healing, cloning etc just isn't as good as offerings from competing software. (Especially Adobe Photoshop) Interesting that Affinity Photo can do this too - thanks for the information.
  • The lack of an editing history with the ability to go back to a given step is a big annoyance.
  • The rigid nature of the proofing margin and not being able to smoothly scale the size of the image in the window.
  • The printing module isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as Lightroom.
There are things I like though:
  • Luma curves which allow you to adjust contrast without affecting saturation
  • I really like the magic brush
  • The film grain options are far more varied than Lightroom's offerings (I don't use these often but it's nice to have)
  • Although Lightroom has largely caught up now, I still like CO's colour editor.
  • I prefer the way CO applies clarity.
I've got 21 days left on my trial. Let's see if I can work past my annoyances and find a workflow which works for me.

Lefty

Amar, I notice that your last couple of posts have a certain, glowing, softness about them, which is quite noticeable for example juxtaposed against the next post from Pete. Is this a deliberate processing thing, it almost looks on the way to what I think I recall as Orton effect?

Yes - I generally reduce clarity and texture on my woodland images as they can sometimes be too 'brittle' straight out of camera if that meas sense? It's due to the number and complexity of the textures that that are present in these types of scenes.

I do sometimes add a subtle Orton Effect using the TK Panels in Photoshop, but I try and use a light hand when doing this as it's easy to go over board!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back