advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
51603527972_925965eb8f_b.jpg

@Tantris A pedant writes... "Cuillins" is incorrect, the plural is "Cuillin". In Gordon Stainforth's superb book of photographs "The Cuillin" he writes "the plural, Anglicized form of the name, 'the Cuillins', is as incorrect as calling the Caucasus 'the Caucasuses' or the Himalaya 'the Himalayas', and only slightly less grating on the enthusiast's ear than the cringe-making 'Cuillin Hills' - which makes then sound like something akin to the Cotswolds."
Great photos though, many thanks for sharing them.
BTW The Gordon Stainforth book is well worth getting for anyone who loves film photography of dramatic mountain scenery, IMO. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0094715505/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Tantris your pictures sent me to find and scan some of my Skye pictures. These are from a traverse of the ridge, mid 80s I think, on a hot couple of days in May - I remember we were short of water and had to descend into a corrie to get some snow. Taken on an Olympus Trip 35 that I "borrowed" from my dad and later perished in spectacular fashion when I dropped it in Glencoe. Prints, scanned and a bit of colour correction applied.

Skye ridge
by Tim, on Flickr

Bivvy on Skye ridge
by Tim, on Flickr

Coruisk and Scavaig
by Tim, on Flickr

Loving these fabulous Scottish landscapes chaps! Proof (as if it were needed) that I need to get myself up to Scotland.

Tangent alert: The only time I have ever been to Scotland was to attend a job interview at Linn when I graduated from University (I didn't get the job - turned out they wanted someone with 2 years experience). How different my life would have been if I did.

I still remember meeting Gilad whilst I was up there and him saying to me: 'Why would you want to move to Glasgow from London at your age?' I responded with an astonished look and 'Why wouldn't I?'

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back