advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norwich Cathedral:

51424122201_a68e997c4e_b.jpg

51424122301_94e377031a_b.jpg

Fuji X10

Wonderful..a lovely high key portrait..and dare I say it.. a competition winner if ever I saw one...

Blimey! Thank you.

To be honest, I hardly ever post, or even look in the photography section of PFM. My only reason for having a camera is to capture family moments (holidays and special occasions). I set my camera up to how I like and don't really mess with the controls much. I'm more of a point and shoot type of person - so it's nice to know I've captured something good - especially when the skill level is so high here.

Perhaps I should try and enter it into a competition? I wouldn't know where to enter it though.

Blimey! Thank you.

To be honest, I hardly ever post, or even look in the photography section of PFM. My only reason for having a camera is to capture family moments (holidays and special occasions). I set my camera up to how I like and don't really mess with the controls much. I'm more of a point and shoot type of person - so it's nice to know I've captured something good - especially when the skill level is so high here.

Perhaps I should try and enter it into a competition? I wouldn't know where to enter it though.

You've certainly hit the nail right on the head with this particular shot...Is there a camera club anywhere near you?..that would be my advice..the club members will help you along no end..They will have competitions at the club..bus trips out..all sorts of tasks..it'll be inexpensive and you'll have good fun too..a great place to start if you want to develop the skill...You'll be astonished at what the wee Sony can do, when you start setting it up manually...you're half way there already, as you seem to have the knack of pointing your camera in the right direction...;)

Watching Thomas Heaton's walk through Skye on YouTube reminded me of this photo. We had driven to Armadale through the first snow fall of the year wondering if we would make the early morning ferry across to the mainland. Looking back the rising sun was beginning to break through the heavy clouds:

51439488831_b0aee1d7a4_c.jpg

I used to pass through Little Walden airfield quite often when we lived near Stansted. On a hot day it had a lovely atmosphere about it. I was in love with the control tower… :)

Like the establishing shots from 'Twelve O'clock High'.
Lovely.

A truly great film, somewhat forgotten, acknowledged as a groundbreaking study into the psychology of combat and command. The writers, Sy Bartlett and Beirne Lay, both served with the 8th Airforce in the UK, the latter flying combat missions with the 'Bloody 100th' out of Thorpe Abbotts, later returning to command the 487th BG flying B-24s out of Lavenham. That establishing sequence is superb, and strikes a deep emotional chord.

I used to pass through Little Walden airfield quite often when we lived near Stansted. On a hot day it had a lovely atmosphere about it. I was in love with the control tower… :)

The Tower was for years a rather haunting sight, lying abandoned and windowless, but it was eventually converted into a house, years ago now, and has become rather hemmed in by trees, losing it that open-skied airfield ambiance.

A truly great film, somewhat forgotten, acknowledged as a groundbreaking study into the psychology of combat and command. The writers, Sy Bartlett and Beirne Lay, both served with the 8th Airforce in the UK, the latter flying combat missions with the 'Bloody 100th' out of Thorpe Abbotts, later returning to command the 487th BG flying B-24s out of Lavenham. That establishing sequence is superb, and strikes a deep emotional chord.

12.jpg

Yep, and yours slots right in... as if the same tree from another view.

I just love that capture. Seminal for me, although by the time I saw the film it merely encapsulated something that registered with me many years before, when (there's a nagging sense that I've already told this) a boyhood friend and I cycled to a local airfield in about 1968, and found a scene spookily reminiscent of those opening scenes, still scattered with bits of airframe, and huts filled with crates of aircraft and vehicle parts. And those vast empty runways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back