advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a fraction of his talent and I'll be one happy chap. :)

You and me both! I don't think the man knows how to take a bad picture! When I last saw him I told him to come back to PFM but I don't think he will sadly :(

I remember watching a tv programme some years ago a Lakeland photo-walk with Derry Brabbs. In the first few mins of the programme, he explained the kit he used (this was pre-digital) and stated that a wide-angle lens wasn't necessarily his first choice. In fact he was a big fan of a portrait f/l and produced an SLR with 100mm lens - could well have been the 105 as I'm sure he was shooting Nikon at the time.

I've not seen that, but I agree with him. Give me a 70-200 over a 14-24 any day of the week. Since selling my Tamron 17-35, I know that I 'should' get another ultrawide of some description, but I just can't see me using it very much. I still have the 105/2.5 and it's definitely one of those lenses that'll have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

Lefty

A triptych of images taken on the day we arrived for a family holiday in Tenerife back in 2017. Got a bit carried away by the wonderful terracotta coloured architecture of the hotel we were staying in!

50868092756_9faf5953b7_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100T

50867372633_44a116e8c9_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100T

50868092811_e2c0946512_b.jpg

Fujifilm X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8

Lefty

Give me a 70-200 over a 14-24 any day of the week. Since selling my Tamron 17-35, I know that I 'should' get another ultrawide of some description, but I just can't see me using it very much. I still have the 105/2.5 and it's definitely one of those lenses that'll have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

Lefty

Shame Mark won't be with us on PFM but I'll just keep following him on Insta and marvel at his works. He spins a good yarn too. :)

Derry (as you'll no doubt know) was the photographer for Wainwright's Lakeland books, along with those he also compiled for walking in Scotland. I first took up hill-walking in 1985, and for a long while, Derry's images were partially responsible for my continual love-affair with this part of the world.

A triptych of images taken on the day we arrived for a family holiday in Tenerife back in 2017. Got a bit carried away by the wonderful terracotta coloured architecture of the hotel we were staying in!

50868092756_9faf5953b7_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100T

50867372633_44a116e8c9_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100T

50868092811_e2c0946512_b.jpg

Fujifilm X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8

Lefty

Oh my...just perfect!

Shame Mark won't be with us on PFM but I'll just keep following him on Insta and marvel at his works. He spins a good yarn too. :)

Derry (as you'll no doubt know) was the photographer for Wainwright's Lakeland books, along with those he also compiled for walking in Scotland. I first took up hill-walking in 1985, and for a long while, Derry's images were partially responsible for my continual love-affair with this part of the world.

He certainly does - to be honest, I'm not sure what I like more sometimes: his images or his stories!

Indeed - I only came to know of Derry in more recent years as my love affair for that part of the world has taken hold. It was actually Mr LJ's images which started it for me!

Oh my...just perfect!

Thank you! Decided to have a go at re-processing these images with RNI FIlms 5 and it struck me that they would look good together as a triptych :)

Lefty

Decided to have a go at re-processing these images with RNI FIlms 5 and it struck me that they would look good together as a triptych :)

Lefty

You'll have no quarrel from me - they look utterly superb. Will certainly check out RNI. :)

You'll have no quarrel from me - they look utterly superb. Will certainly check out RNI. :)

I highly recommend it. Whilst it's not cheap, it is very good :)

Lefty

Edit - although it's cheap compared to the Fuji X100T I'm going to have to buy as a result of revisiting these old images :D

I highly recommend it. Whilst it's not cheap, it is very good :)

Lefty

Just been checking it out - you're not wrong! Mind you, at least it's not subscription-based and looks to offer a vast library to play with. Shame they don't have Films 5 for Capture One though.

@Gromit - ah that's a shame that Films 5 still hasn't been updated to work with C1 (as I know that Films 4 was compatible).

Having said that, I think I read that it was no way near as good as the Lr / Ps version. It was clearly developed with the Adobe software in mind and perhaps with the improvements made in version 5 (dedicated XMP profiles for each camera and for each film stock) porting this over to C1 has been a challenge they haven't been able to overcome as yet.

Another thing I will say is that RNI have excellent support. I had a problem pulling an image I started editing with RNI in Lr into Ps and e-mailed them about it this evening. I had a reply in 10 mins.

Lefty

Just been checking it out - you're not wrong! Mind you, at least it's not subscription-based and looks to offer a vast library to play with. Shame they don't have Films 5 for Capture One though.

@Gromit - ah that's a shame that Films 5 still hasn't been updated to work with C1 (as I know that Films 4 was compatible).

Having said that, I think I read that it was no way near as good as the Lr / Ps version. It was clearly developed with the Adobe software in mind and perhaps with the improvements made in version 5 (dedicated XMP profiles for each camera and for each film stock) porting this over to C1 has been a challenge they haven't been able to overcome as yet.

Another thing I will say is that RNI have excellent support. I had a problem pulling an image I started editing with RNI in Lr into Ps and e-mailed them about it this evening. I had a reply in 10 mins.

Lefty

I often find myself pottering along quite happily in the photo forum, then suddenly the conversation takes a tangent and I realise that everyone has started to speak in strange tongues, and I can't understand a word of what is being said!

Last edited:
I often find myself pottering along quite happily in the photo forum, then suddenly the conversation takes a tangent and I realise that everyone has started to speak in strange tongues, and I can't understand a word of what I'd being said!

:D

I often feel that way when I visit the audio room these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back