Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Discussion in 'photo' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Saturday's lockdown fun, rebuild (and slight upgrade to my desktop PC) - new case, more RAM, bigger HDDs, taken with X100F + ProMist 1/4 filter

[​IMG]

mad-moon, plum and Gromit like this.
  2. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sail lofts at Tollesbury in Essex.

I was delivering a case of wine last week, and was satnavved down a muddy track that terminated with a closed gate and two rather fine but seemingly uninhabited houses. Beyond the gate I could see the mud-flats, and across the estuary in the distance the newly encased decommissoned nuclear power station at Bradwell. I had passed a lone walker, a handsome, fairly elderly man, and as I reversed back out I wound my window down to explain my dilemma. Before I could do so he swung towards me and growled 'We don't like people here, we don't want anybody coming here at all.' He warmed very slighty when I mentioned the name of my client, put me in the right direction, and marched on his way. I felt for a moment as though I had driven into a Steven King book.

As with so many of these estuary villages, the quayside and the moorings out on the saltings promise more than they deliver, odd hints towards the ancient and unchanging overwhelmed by shabby, unloved fibre-glass hulled pleasure yachts decomposing away in the mud, and an air of ungenteel desolation. Overlooking these beautifully maintained sail lofts, which were apparently built to store the sails of the famous J-Class yachts during the winter, is a range of the most appallingly designed and now very tatty 1960s council flats, blocking the view both towards the estuary and back towards the village. The vandalism of the post-war planners and their cohorts in the architectural profession is unforgivable.

3. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

kcc123, askseeknock, stevied and 14 others like this.
  4. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

5. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Interesting and interesting shots. Nice!

eternumviti likes this.
  6. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Starting off the new year with wonderful photos again! Not that I expected anything but!

7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Lefty likes this.
  8. eternumviti

9. user510

user510 pfm Member

[​IMG]
    -Steve

TimF and ff1d1l like this.
  10. user510

user510 pfm Member

[​IMG]
    -Steve

ff1d1l likes this.
  11. user510

user510 pfm Member

[​IMG]
    -Steve

12. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Rico, Tigerjones, Dev and 8 others like this.
  13. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

I like the one with the red background. But that's likely because I'm a sucker for clean, minimalist images. I also feel the composition is slightly better as the bowl is further from the edge of the frame and this allows it space to breathe and also doesn't cut the shadow off.

Lefty

14. mad-moon

mad-moon pfm Member

bottom one...hands down...it's so much more natural and the colours will also be nearer the mark, knock about 10-15 off saturation for my eyes...a pleasing image...

have you tried using a grey card when metering and using your meter lock

15. mad-moon

mad-moon pfm Member

Love the top image...I bet the other two are great in colour too...especially the 2nd image..although B&W works great in the last image....for my eyes...

Gromit likes this.
  16. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Dev, TimF, plum and 4 others like this.
  17. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Thank you :)

I did umm and aaah over the middle one and do in fact have a colour version taken from the raw file which I'd admit does look a wee bit better.

18. eternumviti

Thank you Mr ff1, much appreciated.

19. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Dev, user510, mad-moon and 4 others like this.
  20. mad-moon

mad-moon pfm Member

That must be some camera/lens combo...It's snatched every bit of detail considering the low light..good composition..was this a program shot..or did you use aperture prority...32 seconds at f4...nice shot..

Gromit likes this.