advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I particularly like #2.
Two took some waiting around to get...it was a day of strong cold wind and little patches of sun being blown about...had an idea that if I was patient one would light up the ruin.
Interesting place...in the grove of trees beyond the house is a roofless carriage shed and the tumbled walls of Plas y Llyn, which was the quarry managers house, and in the marshy fields behind is a deserted village, Treforys, which was built to house the workers in the mill and quarry. Altogether a model project, and huge sums of money must have been spent, probably dunned from rich southerners with glowing prospectus of the wealth which was just waiting to be dug from the hill. It closed in 1867.
I read a quote somewhere, which I paraphrase, which said - they had a quarry laid out and worked in the most favourable modern fashion, they had a tramway, they had a village built for the workers, they had the most impressive water powered slate mill in North Wales, all they were in want of was a good vein of slate.

50560569961_2625a01214_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back