advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're fortunate where we live to be surrounded by a huge amount of aviation history (it is Bomber County after all). Trouble is, some of it takes quite a lot of finding but today I ventured our to search out the old RAF Wellingore site. It's visible via Google Earth - in fact the old runway and peri-track are obvious. On the ground it's a slightly different story unless you have a 1:25000 OS map. The site is ringed by several pill boxes:

Pill boxes by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Steps by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

RAF Wellingore by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Wellingore by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Top 2: Olympus Pen F/Lumix G 20-1.7

Bottom 2: Leica M-P typ 240 Voigltänder 35 & 28 Ultrons.

First and last one are screaming for the mist/fog!!!

Visitor's Centre, Mottisfont Abbey:

50994289852_8a6fced808_b.jpg

Fuji X10
Awesome spot!
And beautifully realised!

A bit of comparison fun from yesterday - it'll be fairly obvious which is which due to the aspect ratio but these are both RAWs, simply edited with the same RNI 5 preset (Agfa Optima 200 faded which I love) and WB-checked. No further edits at all:

Pen F/Lumix 20-1.7 & Leica M-P typ 240/Voigtländer Ultron 35 f2

Pillbox by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Pillbox by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

We're fortunate where we live to be surrounded by a huge amount of aviation history (it is Bomber County after all). Trouble is, some of it takes quite a lot of finding but today I ventured our to search out the old RAF Wellingore site. It's visible via Google Earth - in fact the old runway and peri-track are obvious. On the ground it's a slightly different story unless you have a 1:25000 OS map. The site is ringed by several pill boxes:

Pill boxes by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Steps by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

RAF Wellingore by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Wellingore by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Top 2: Olympus Pen F/Lumix G 20-1.7

Bottom 2: Leica M-P typ 240 Voigltänder 35 & 28 Ultrons.

My subject, though more concentrated on East Anglia. Unsurprisingly I love these, and the washed-out quality of the Optima preset really suits the subject.

I see Wellingore has a couple of (quite rare) defended fighter bays. The pill box with the steps appears to be the Battle Headquarters.

My subject, though more concentrated on East Anglia. Unsurprisingly I love these, and the washed-out quality of the Optima preset really suits the subject.

I see Wellingore has a couple of (quite rare) defended fighter bays. The pill box with the steps appears to be the Battle Headquarters.

Thanks - Optima (for some subject matter) is becoming my go-to at the moment.

John Magee - the Canadian pilot who wrote 'High Flight' was stationed at Wellingore during WW2, and is buried in a CWG at Scopwick, a couple of miles away to the East. He was killed in a mid-air collision, his aircraft hitting the ground not far from our own village.

Guy Gibson spent a short time here too, in fact shooting down his first enemy aircraft over Skegness having taken off from Wellingore in a Beaufighter in March 1941. Correct - that is the old Battle HQ. It's about 1' deep in water down there at the moment but I'll risk it in my wellies next time.

I looked at the photos of it on Google satellite, and it's quite unusual in that it's built within a largely above ground bunker. Normally the only bit showing above the surface is the smaller structure on the roof. I guess the land lies wet there?

I looked at the photos of it on Google satellite, and it's quite unusual in that it's built within a largely above ground bunker. Normally the only bit showing above the surface is the smaller structure on the roof. I guess the land lies wet there?

If you'll give me a few mins, I'll dig out from more photos I took of it the other day. The water table must be very high at the moment - the ground is gently undulating in the area, with Wellingore occupying slightly higher ground so one would hope that the bunker will drain once the summer sets in. Had so much rain recently, pretty much everything is sodden at the moment. The bunker is actually approx 20yds from the Ermine Street Roman road.

Sadly, it's not possible to get any nearer to other features of Wellingore - the peri-track is crossed by a Public Footpath but is fenced on one side to prevent anyone doing so. A real shame, would love to have a good look around.

I so envy you these wonderful portraits, Pete.
Thank you - itching to do more

another corker of a shot, have you by any chance got a colour shot...I bet the colours in this shot would be great..especially the chinese style jacket...very fashionable lady..the out of focus poster in the back ground looks great too...nice work
No colour - was only shooting b/w that trip. Poster in the background is an old Clash one. I've a cross processed colour shot of Roslyn from the 90's I can dig out

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back