advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
JzkznK.jpg

Kestrel on the fencepost at the end of our garden. Light wasn't great but I've never seen a Kestrel that close before (swear he spotted my lens poking through the curtains in the dining room)
ZEv3QFb.jpg

Always a bit of a buzz when you get a bird of prey in your garden. If I go for my camera they have often flown off by the time I get back or I have a flat battery or I am shaking with excitement!.......

First proper outing with the little Fuji X-E3 this morning. I've forgotten how fun these Fujis are! Despite it being a dull and dreary day, I really enjoyed myself. These are all JPEGs, shot using the in-camera square crop.

50965065003_467d27d393_b.jpg

50965064873_9926d4ca05_b.jpg

50965064753_3767c880b7_b.jpg

50965771446_60196b046a_b.jpg

Fujifilm XE-3 / XF18-55mm f2.8-4

Lefty

Amar, dare I say that I find these files a bit 'cold'? It might of course just be the light.

I have, incidentally, suspected some of the same from photos I've seen posted elsewhere from the Nikon Z6/7, though your own posts have usually served to confound that.

I never feel that of the recent posts of Nikon Df photos, which dare I say feel a bit more 'natural'.

Amar, dare I say that I find these files a bit 'cold'? It might of course just be the light.

I have, incidentally, suspected some of the same from photos I've seen posted elsewhere from the Nikon Z6/7, though your own posts have usually served to confound that.

I never feel that of the recent posts of Nikon Df photos, which dare I say feel a bit more 'natural'.

I'll have to revisit the files (I'm still getting used to the Fuji files again - which are very different to the Z7). I think there are a number of factors at play here. The Fuji JPEGs are a bit over sharpened by default (this is using out of the box jpeg settings. I need to refine these and as part of this, I can dial this back the sharpness setting on the camera). Also, the Flickr resizing algorithm can introduce a 'brittle' quality to images.

In terms of the Z6 / Z7, I have to say I find the files to be astonishingly good. Of course, a lot of it comes down to how the files are treated (I never apply any sharpening in post). The only files I've played with which bettered the Z7 are those from the Fuji GFX (which were absolutely mind-blowing!). I need to 'dial in' to these X-Trans files again so I can get the best out of them. I'm currently working on an image and will post later today. I might process from RAW this time rather than JPEG.

Lefty

To add some context to the above image

This is the same site in 1930, from a vantage point over to the left, looking across to the right of my image!! Image taken by Hoppe and scanned by Mike Ashworth

ICI - a short account of the activities of the company, 1929 - Winnington Works, Cheshire by mikeyashworth, on Flickr

The metal framed building above on the right, is the same one as partially dismantled towards the left of my image!!!

And the wharf in front of the houses in 2016 !!

160824 Brunner Mond, Winnington by David Yeoman, on Flickr

[QUOT
A bit more playing around with ye olde Tamron 80-210, out in the garden. Taken at around 200mm, at 5.6-1/60 sec hand-held. Don't you just love IBIS :)

Colourpegs by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Oly Pen F.

great idea IBIS..it certainly has its uses when using lenses from days gone by..that is an exceptionally sharp image..did you by any chance close the aperture down and try the IBIS with even slower shutter speeds??

great idea IBIS..it certainly has its uses when using lenses from days gone by..that is an exceptionally sharp image..did you by any chance close the aperture down and try the IBIS with even slower shutter speeds??

Yes, I'm definitely a convert to IBIS and when so well implemented by Olympus, it's amazing what you can get away with. Didn't try it any slower than 1/60 for this picture; the f/l means holding things really steady, and extremely difficult. Lens was one stop down from fully open - when used wide open its CA is quite shocking. :D

Cool...can you switch the IBIS on and off like an image stabilized lens...and does the IBIS work on a tripod..or is it only hand held shots, like image/optical stabilized lenses??

Correct, IBIS can be turned off, although because the sensor actually 'floats', it's never truly 'off' as it were. To be honest, I've never actually switched it off, even when using a tripod, and never noticed any kind of degradation. It's one hell of a tool IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back