Not open for further replies.

Witness by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P

....and here's the print

50378308798_5af84f18bf_b.jpg

Canon Pro-1000 / Fotospeed Platinum Etching 285

Lefty

Last edited:
Long time since I've been up there, only approached it from Cwm Pennant - a quarry that had a very short working life (15 years)
Yes, I've done that a number of times, and I'd gone over, with a bike, down to the Beddgelert forest once, too. It's much harder finding your way in the other direction - a maze of similar forestry tracks, until you get to the lake, after which it's a little more straightforward.

I think this concern, like Gorseddau in the next valley, were principally vehicles for separating wealthy investors from their cash, so needed to look good - Prince of Wales with its tramway to the coast, inclines, slate works and barracks, and Gorseddau with tramway, purpose built village with semi detatched cottages (yes really - it's still there in the boggy fields above the tramway), and the most magnificent slate works in North Wales. "All they were in want of", as some wag had it, "was a good vein of slate".

There are some workings passed in the forest on the way up, including quite a large pit with levels and tunnels, so overgrown its difficult to see. I can't find any references to this online.
On the far hillside, in the mono image, you can just see the even more remote Princess of Wales quarry, which I've yet to visit. Saving that one up...

Feeling quite smug, just spent a couple of hours playing with my new scanner (Epson V600)

Original Image using Portra400 on a Fujifilm GSW690III (earlier this month), shot wide open at F5.6!!, scanned as a 3200dpi 64bit RAW in Silverfast, converted using Negative Lab Pro and a final Crop and Edit in Lightroom. (96MP image!)

Quite pleased with the result, much more to learn about scanning negatives and their subsequent conversion, but a decent start. Going to print this on A2 to see how it looks, but thats a task for tomorrow.

Rhosydd Barracks
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Feeling quite smug, just spent a couple of hours playing with my new scanner (Epson V600)

Original Image using Portra400 on a Fujifilm GSW690III (earlier this month), shot wide open at F5.6!!, scanned as a 3200dpi 64bit RAW in Silverfast, converted using Negative Lab Pro and a final Crop and Edit in Lightroom. (96MP image!)

Quite pleased with the result, much more to learn about scanning negatives and their subsequent conversion, but a decent start. Going to print this on A2 to see how it looks, but thats a task for tomorrow.

Rhosydd Barracks
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

That's some serious resolution! I see you are selling a lot of your digital kit. Are you going full on film or have you finally given in to the temptation of a medium format Fuji?

That's some serious resolution! I see you are selling a lot of your digital kit. Are you going full on film or have you finally given in to the temptation of a medium format Fuji?

Just selling a bunch of lenses, probably going to buy a Leica Q2, though I keep getting distracted by MF film!

Don't think the scanner can actually resolve to 3200dpi (or even the quoted 6400 dpi), probably more like 2500dpi, but I just thought why not!!!

Just selling a bunch of lenses, probably going to buy a Leica Q2, though I keep getting distracted by MF film!

Don't think the scanner can actually resolve to 3200dpi (or even the quoted 6400 dpi), probably more like 2500dpi, but I just thought why not!!!

Interesting! Perhaps a MF Digital Fuji would be a good move if you plan to shoot MF film. You could share lenses between the systems that way ;)

Interesting! Perhaps a MF Digital Fuji would be a good move if you plan to shoot MF film. You could share lenses between the systems that way ;)

Fujifilm Digital sensor is just not big enough, even 645 is bigger!! Think I might add a 6x6 to my camera arsenal though.

Couple of snaps trying out my OM1, developed myself and then scanned... I've only recently resurrected the cameras but with so many opportunities to muck them up at each stage and the time it takes just to get these I'm not entirely sure I'll be continuing.... Jeez it's hard work :)

50389814437_e636362840_h.jpg

50389640651_0de20de634_h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back