advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
New year, new camera:

49375844206_a1ddfd47bc_b.jpg

In Dinorwic yesterday, went to several paces I’ve not need to before, on way back to car stumbled, jammed right foot, went head over heals and when stopped my right foot was pointing out at 45 degrees!!

the guy who I was with had done the same 9 months earlier, mountain rescue there in less than 40 mins, airlifted to Bangor hospital, ankle re-aligned yesterday, going to be inner today.

so you will all have to wait for the pictures!!

currently featured on the Llanberis Moutain Rescue Team Facebook page - they were simply phenomenal

it’s a lesson to those of us who wander out alone - take care

OK here is the image to remind you to take extra care, and I for one will certainly think twice before going out alone, I had known of Greg's incident, and obviously my friend who was with me, but you never think these things are going to happen to you. You'll still have to wait for the pictures, not sure if the X100F still works ok, but its taken a bit of a beating, but this is a phone snap of the surgeon's phone copy of the X-Ray

The Llanberis mountain rescue team where simply phenomenal (I will definitely be making a significant donation to them), as were the team at Bangor hospital, who are possibly are more used to this kind of injury than many hospitals. The newspaper reports of swearing that could be heard across the valley are definitely exaggerated, as even my lungs cannot drown out a helicopter!!! There may have been a bit of the Queen's best English as my ankle was reset on the mountainside!!! The whole thing was a very scary experience and not one I wish to repeat

tBb3nY8h.jpg

OK here is the image to remind you to take extra care, and I for one will certainly think twice before going out alone, I had known of Greg's incident, and obviously my friend who was with me, but you never think these things are going to happen to you. You'll still have to wait for the pictures, not sure if the X100F still works ok, but its taken a bit of a beating, but this is a phone snap of the surgeon's phone copy of the X-Ray

The Llanberis mountain rescue team where simply phenomenal (I will definitely be making a significant donation to them), as were the team at Bangor hospital, who are possibly are more used to this kind of injury than many hospitals. The newspaper reports of swearing that could be heard across the valley are definitely exaggerated, as even my lungs cannot drown out a helicopter!!! There may have been a bit of the Queen's best English as my ankle was reset on the mountainside!!! The whole thing was a very scary experience and not one I wish to repeat

tBb3nY8h.jpg
Good to hear you're well on the mend.

tBb3nY8h.jpg

I pressed 'like', but I really don't like.

Well, I guess you'll cause all sorts of fun and games at airport security when you're mended.

Nice one! I could also say he does have a look of Chick Corea (in his younger days) too so the connection to jazz pianists is very strong. :)

Went for a wander with the F3 this afternoon, it's going to sound a tad clichéd but it felt like coming home. I can't even start to think how many rolls of film I put through my old one but Nikon hit a true bullseye with this camera. I so wish they (or Olympus with the OM-1/2) would make a modern version - keep the controls as per the originals, but add a digital sensor. And keep the thing as simple and 'direct' as possible. I'd even go without a screen. :)

So he does! :)

I'll have to get my hands on an F3 by the sounds of it as it sounds like my sort of camera. That sense of directness is something that's incredibly important to me. Probably why I like the Fuji X100 series of cameras so much and is one of the main reasons I abandoned the Sony A7rII for the Nikon Z7.

In terms of modern day equivalents, have you tried the Nikon Df? On the face of it the value proposition is poor. Only 16 megapixels and a very steep price. But... that sensor is taken from a D4 and it has a UI / form factor / directness which harkens back to the time of the F3. Mark LJ is a big fan of it.

Also, the Fuji X-Pro 3 appeared to be designed along these lines and is getting a good write up from those who value that directness.

Lefty

tBb3nY8h.jpg

Bloody hell David - that's gruesome.

Very best wishes for the recovery. Have they given you a timeframe / prognosis?

Bloody hell David - that's gruesome.

Very best wishes for the recovery. Have they given you a timeframe / prognosis?

4-8 weeks in plaster, then building strength back up, my friend who did the same thing is pretty mobile now, 9 months after his incident, but uses walking poles for step downwards descents. Its annoying but I'm not going to let it get in the way of doing what I want to do!

4-8 weeks in plaster, then building strength back up, my friend who did the same thing is pretty mobile now, 9 months after his incident, but uses walking poles for step downwards descents. Its annoying but I'm not going to let it get in the way of doing what I want to do!

That's an excellent prognosis and coupled with that positive attitude you'll be back in the hills before you know it.

Best wishes mate.

Managed to get to my desk today and extract some images from my battered X100F - one from last Friday (before the fall) - and in the words of Led Zeppelin - Going To California

Going To California
by David Yeoman, on Flickr
The farther of the two large blocks in the foreground used to be in situ in the roof of the tunnel. I noticed it was coming ever lower, like a very slow guillotine, and used to faintly scribe a line, which on the next visit would have dropped a centimeter or two. Going under it was a bit fraught and done as quick as possible. Then one day it was on the floor...

Did you see the other Mary Mary in the far tunnel?

The farther of the two large blocks in the foreground used to be in situ in the roof of the tunnel. I noticed it was coming ever lower, like a very slow guillotine, and used to faintly scribe a line, which on the next visit would have dropped a centimeter or two. Going under it was a bit fraught and done as quick as possible. Then one day it was on the floor...

Did you see the other Mary Mary in the far tunnel?

Scary!!!

And yes to the other Mary Mural

200110 Marys Other Mural
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back