advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gromit - Great lens choice Richard. That Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai-S is a beauty. I made the mistake of selling mine a few years ago and only re-acquired one last year. Needless to say I will never sell it. (Especially as it's a really nice example).

Gorgeous film images too - both from the archives (I LOVE Kodachrome) and your recent stuff with the Hassy. Hope you're enjoying it. I would love to own one someday.

Thanks Amar - you're most kind. :)

I remember you having a 105, didn't realise you'd picked up another one but what a lens it is! I've been after one for quite some time now, and finally tracked one down (from a dealer) which arrived the other day. It's in lovely condition, glass is flawless - sure it wasn't cheap, but this is a proper 'cold, dead hands' lens I think. Values are rising, and rising quickly so it was really a now or never.

Also gave in to the demons which have haunted me since selling my trusty old Nikon F3 nearly 20 years ago. I had a huge amount of affection for that camera, it travelled everywhere with me to various parts of the globe and not once did it let me down in any type of weather. It was utterly bombproof, even surviving a couple of motorcycle accidents (I always carried it in a tankbag). Prices of these have gone mental though (I sold mine for 80 quid!!) but I hung out for a decent one at a price which didn't make me wince. This one arrived today and it is in great shape, with the minimum of brassing and new seals. Downside this hobby is in danger of costing me more than hifi did :D

My F3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Amar - you're most kind. :)

I remember you having a 105, didn't realise you'd picked up another one but what a lens it is! I've been after one for quite some time now, and finally tracked one down (from a dealer) which arrived the other day. It's in lovely condition, glass is flawless - sure it wasn't cheap, but this is a proper 'cold, dead hands' lens I think. Values are rising, and rising quickly so it was really a now or never.

Also gave in to the demons which have haunted me since selling my trusty old Nikon F3 nearly 20 years ago. I had a huge amount of affection for that camera, it travelled everywhere with me to various parts of the globe and not once did it let me down in any type of weather. It was utterly bombproof, even surviving a couple of motorcycle accidents (I always carried it in a tankbag). Prices of these have gone mental though (I sold mine for 80 quid!!) but I hung out for a decent one at a price which didn't make me wince. This one arrived today and it is in great shape, with the minimum of brassing and new seals. Downside this hobby is in danger of costing me more than hifi did :D

My F3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

That's a potent (and beautiful) pairing. Yes, I was also worried about the prospect of prices going up. I was very lucky that an eBay gamble on what looked like a good example paid off. It certainly won't be babied though and will be used regularly. I used it extensively on a family holiday to Pembrokeshire last year where it definitely delivered the good paired with the Nikon Z7.

I am VERY tempted to start shooting film again myself. I still have my Nikon F80 which whilst no way near as bomb proof / wonderfully tactile as the F3, impressed me when I briefly revisited film a few years ago. Here's a image from that period of my son wielding my Fuji X100T.

Like Father, Like Son by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon F80 / Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 / Kodak Tri-X 400.
Home dev: Ilfosol-3 / Ilfostop / Ilford rapid fixer
Home scan: Reflecta Proscan 7200 / Vuescan / Colorperfect.

Lefty

That's a wonderful image, Amar - and it's got Tri-X written all over it, such gorgeous textures. Just got myself a few rolls to keep in the fridge as availability has been slightly sparse of late (and it would seem Kodak are putting their prices up significantly very soon!).

My film of choice at the moment is HP5, pushing it one stop where it really seems to come alive. That and Portra 160 which I just love.

... just joined today because hugely impressed by the standard of photography - so much so that tempted to take camera out for a spin.

was going to post one I made earlier ... but system says it's spam so no go :(

OK ... another day, another attempt. I have created a Flickr account so hopefully that will be less problematic ... here goes:
49368887523_3f84ae751c_c.jpg

YAY - seemed to work .... if you guys can see it that is.

scanned slide: Amsterdam, 1978 - Pentax SP

And another ... bigger this time.
Also scanned slide from Pentax original: West 45 NYC, 1979 (seemed to be stuck on contre-jour back then)

49369352806_3922c68c45_o.jpg

Some of my slides suffered from damp in the intervening years - needing a fair bit of PS work. This one was still shows some damage in the sky

That's a wonderful image, Amar - and it's got Tri-X written all over it, such gorgeous textures. Just got myself a few rolls to keep in the fridge as availability has been slightly sparse of late (and it would seem Kodak are putting their prices up significantly very soon!).

My film of choice at the moment is HP5, pushing it one stop where it really seems to come alive. That and Portra 160 which I just love.

That's sad news about film prices :( May well have to do the same and buy up film and stick it in the fridge.

I love Tri-X. I did also try HP5 and pushed it 2 stops on my first roll (which I mistakenly got Jessops to develop - they did not do a good job and they were expensive). I shot all of my subsequent rolls at box speed (and home dev'd them) but the results were a bit 'flat' compared to Tri-X? Perhaps I should have tried pushing 1 stop.

You've got me looking through my old film images now! Here's another from my first home dev'd roll of Tri-X:

Take 5 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon F80 / Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 / Kodak Tri-X 400.
Home dev: Ilfosol-3 / Ilfostop / Ilford rapid fixer
Home scan: Reflecta Proscan 7200 / Vuescan / Colorperfect.

Great image that, Amar - and shows off Tri-X so well with the trousers in particular. One of the reasons I like HP5 so much is its tonal graduation, although at box speed - whilst good - I agree it can be a little flat. Haven't tried it pushed with 35mm yet though, although have some rolls to load up soon.

Got some Tri-X in the F3 at the moment so will look forward to getting those back from the lab. :)

@Gromit - many thanks Richard, he was a chef from a nearby restaurant who was on his break. I asked him if I could take his portrait and he was happy to oblige. There was something of the Dave Brubeck about his look, combined with the fact that he was taking a break which made the title for the image easy :)

Looking forward to the results from that roll of Tri-X

Lefty

There was something of the Dave Brubeck about his look, combined with the fact that he was taking a break which made the title for the image easy :)

Nice one! I could also say he does have a look of Chick Corea (in his younger days) too so the connection to jazz pianists is very strong. :)

Went for a wander with the F3 this afternoon, it's going to sound a tad clichéd but it felt like coming home. I can't even start to think how many rolls of film I put through my old one but Nikon hit a true bullseye with this camera. I so wish they (or Olympus with the OM-1/2) would make a modern version - keep the controls as per the originals, but add a digital sensor. And keep the thing as simple and 'direct' as possible. I'd even go without a screen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back