advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could park at the Nantperis end and walk in the road from that direction...no steep gradients and no wife worrying slopes. An easy walk to where I took the Rainbow Slab pic from.

Lens I'm fancying is 18 - 135, been a few occasions where more proximity would have been good, and they're not scarce second hand. But I really know very little about what various lenses might bring to the table, so picking your brains would be great!

Sounds good

XF18-135 is not the sharpest lens that Fujifilm make, but it does have WR and superb OIS. Owned one in the past but sold it in one my regular lens culls (ie have too many!!)

Lincoln Performing Arts Centre:

LPAC by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Ricoh GRIII

Love the colour rendition in that Richard. Natural yet bold / vibrant.

How are you getting on with the Ricoh GRIII? I've been a long time admirer of that series of cameras as a potential alternative to the Fuji X100 series. I actually prefer the 28mm focal length to 35mm as well....

Lefty

How are you getting on with the Ricoh GRIII? I've been a long time admirer of that series of cameras as a potential alternative to the Fuji X100 series. I actually prefer the 28mm focal length to 35mm as well....

Lefty

Leica Q ..........

er69MI.jpg

Willow tangle, F3/FP4/DDX

Could park at the Nantperis end and walk in the road from that direction...no steep gradients and no wife worrying slopes. An easy walk to where I took the Rainbow Slab pic from.

Lens I'm fancying is 18 - 135, been a few occasions where more proximity would have been good, and they're not scarce second hand. But I really know very little about what various lenses might bring to the table, so picking your brains would be great!

If you need more reach & use Fuji consider the 55-200mm. I've just started using one & am pretty impressed so far. A downside is no WR, but good image quality & OIS:

49506475801_bd6286885a_b.jpg

Lefty

Thanks Amar - this was from the raw file, with just a little bit of straightening.

Re the GR, so far so good. I'm slightly on the fence where f/l is concerned and can appreciate both sides when looking at 35 vs 28. I dare say 28 does allow for cropping - and with 24MP on hand there's still a reasonable number of pixels left if cropped to 35mm equivalent FoV.

The lens on the Ricoh is just incredible though - utterly tack-sharp and the macro function (down to 6cm distance) is a nice touch. Some great profiles too, including 'colour positive' which is a lovely filmic look - different to Fuji's Classic Chrome, but equally endearing. Took a wander down to our village church this afternoon where the GR"s IBIS came into play. No problem with 1/8sec exposures.

If you need more reach & use Fuji consider the 55-200mm. I've just started using one & am pretty impressed so far. A downside is no WR, but good image quality & OIS:

49506475801_bd6286885a_b.jpg
Thanks...will check it out.

Edit...sounds the biz. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:

an 18-135 lens is a good focal length range lens, However, lenses of this type will lose image quality at the near and far ends of the focal length range..personally, I opted for an even bigger, you might say, super zoom and opted for a Tamron 18-270mm, which again will lose image quality at the extreme and close end...but...If you are wanting 135mm, this lens gives excellent image quality in the middle sections of the zoom range..I use Canon Digital SLR's and find this inexpensive lens to be very good indeed, providing you don't use the extreme wide end...and the far end of the zoom range.imho..;)

an 18-135 lens is a good focal length range lens, However, lenses of this type will lose image quality at the near and far ends of the focal length range..personally, I opted for an even bigger, you might say, super zoom and opted for a Tamron 18-270mm, which again will lose image quality at the extreme and close end...but...If you are wanting 135mm, this lens gives excellent image quality in the middle sections of the zoom range..I use Canon Digital SLR's and find this inexpensive lens to be very good indeed, providing you don't use the extreme wide end...and the far end of the zoom range.imho..;)
Thanks...but needs to be Fuji.

Leica Q ..........

Not a fan of the Leica Q (or any other Leica) I'm afraid. They are good cameras, but way overpriced!

Thanks Amar - this was from the raw file, with just a little bit of straightening.

Re the GR, so far so good. I'm slightly on the fence where f/l is concerned and can appreciate both sides when looking at 35 vs 28. I dare say 28 does allow for cropping - and with 24MP on hand there's still a reasonable number of pixels left if cropped to 35mm equivalent FoV.

The lens on the Ricoh is just incredible though - utterly tack-sharp and the macro function (down to 6cm distance) is a nice touch. Some great profiles too, including 'colour positive' which is a lovely filmic look - different to Fuji's Classic Chrome, but equally endearing. Took a wander down to our village church this afternoon where the GR"s IBIS came into play. No problem with 1/8sec exposures.

Thanks for the feedback Richard. Makes me wish I'd considered bagging a 'II' as I recently (as in yesterday) got myself a little Sony RX100 III for pocket duties. The Z7 is a beast, but I do miss having a pocketable camera on me all the time, as I did with the Fuji X100T. Time will tell if I can get used to the UI...

In terms of focal length, I just found 28mm more 'interesting' if that makes sense? JUdging from what I'm seeing in your images so far, there is definitely something special about that camera. The seed has been planted.... :D

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back