advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, lovely colours, almost magical - you are in your element in these conditions.

Thank you! As you can tell, I love a bit of mist - by far my favourite type of conditions to shoot in. Give me an atmospheric misty morning in a woodland over a clear and crisp conditions at a 'big vista' honey pot location any day of the week :) That's not to say I don't enjoy big, well known vistas (I do) but I don't find them as satisfying to shoot. The experience can be a bit 'paint by numbers' if you know what I mean?

Here's another - taken with the wee Sony.

[

Halcyon Dawn by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony RX100 mkIII

...and here's a complimentary image (I can't help but process and organise images as 'spreads' in a book now - I blame @Mr Perceptive :D )

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P

Lefty

Last edited:
The 7artisans 35mm F0.95 Lens for APS-C mirrorless cameras - Bokeh Monster

I ordered this lens on 27th Oct 2020 and received it yesterday. So I took some shots with it on a Panasonic GX7 at home and here are some jpeg images (all are shot at F0.95, except one) with no edits at all. What do you think?

Aperture F0.95, ISO 400, Speed 1/125 sec.

50600016038_51ee4b5244_b.jpg

Aperture F0.95, ISO 500, Speed 1/125 sec.

50600885432_95b499a677_b.jpg

Aperture F0.95, ISO 320, Speed 1/125 sec.

50600021088_f04762000e_b.jpg

Aperture F2.8, ISO 1600, Speed 1/125 sec.

50600761086_6fb9b50068_b.jpg

Thank you! As you can tell, I love a bit of mist - by far my favourite type of conditions to shoot in. Give me an atmospheric misty morning in a woodland over a clear and crisp conditions at a 'big vista' honey pot location any day of the week :) That's not to say I don't enjoy big, well known vistas (I do) but I don't find them as satisfying to shoot. The experience can be a bit 'paint by numbers' if you know what I mean?

Here's another - taken with the wee Sony.

Sony RX100 mkIII

Lefty

Yes big vistas are great (especially if you are witnessing them in person) but often the real magic in imagery is in the many images within the vistas, that's what sets you apart - not many people can see the details....

I think the wee Sony picture would be better cropped just below the treeline, maybe editing out the ducks - but that's just me!:)

Yes big vistas are great (especially if you are witnessing them in person) but often the real magic in imagery is in the many images within the vistas, that's what sets you apart - not many people can see the details....

I think the wee Sony picture would be better cropped just below the treeline, maybe editing out the ducks - but that's just me!:)

Thanks for the wind words :)

Re: the Sony image - I personally like the trees that encroach into the picture as being darker and more in the foreground, they help to give a sense of depth to the image as compared with the lighter blacks of the background (IMHO) - similar to what painters do. Cropping the trees out would leave the image without any anchor / reference / sense of place. Also, the ducks help to balance out the composition (again IMHO). I think if going for a minimalist type of image with fewer elements in the frame, then cloning / cropping rarely gives a satisfactory result as when you get rid of one element / distraction, it simply highlights the next most 'obvious' thing (e.g. the debris in the foreground). You're better off (IMHO) going for an approach like I did in the second image, which is inherently clean and free of distractions.

Thanks for the comments - I like discussion / critique, it's healthy :)

Lefty

Thanks for the wind words :)

Re: the Sony image - I personally like the trees that encroach into the picture as being darker and more in the foreground, they help to give a sense of depth to the image as compared with the lighter blacks of the background (IMHO) - similar to what painters do. Cropping the trees out would leave the image without any anchor / reference / sense of place. Also, the ducks help to balance out the composition (again IMHO). I think if going for a minimalist type of image with fewer elements in the frame, then cloning / cropping rarely gives a satisfactory result as when you get rid of one element / distraction, it simply highlights the next most 'obvious' thing (e.g. the debris in the foreground). You're better off (IMHO) going for an approach like I did in the second image, which is inherently clean and free of distractions.

Thanks for the comments - I like discussion / critique, it's healthy :)

Lefty
I think I may not have expressed what I meant very well. Yes I like the trees encroaching the picture I am just not a fan of central horizons so cropping below the horizons treeline about half way from the bottom of the picture looks more balanced in my mind. It's really none of my business you take some lovely images and they are yours to present however you want.........:)

I think I may not have expressed what I meant very well. Yes I like the trees encroaching the picture I am just not a fan of central horizons so cropping below the horizons treeline about half way from the bottom of the picture looks more balanced in my mind. It's really none of my business you take some lovely images and they are yours to present however you want.........:)

Ah - I see what you are saying. Yes, I had considered that as I also don't generally like horizons running through the middle of the frame. Indeed - it could be corrected by cropping and I also noticed it in the field when I took the image. However, point the camera up would have resulted in the branch crossing the horizon which (again only in my humble opinion) would have been a greater evil.

No problem at all with the comments - I take no offence and I hope you are ok with me responding. I don't mean to be defensive, just trying to explain the considerations and decisions I made when taking / processing the images. Of course, there's no right answer, which is one of the reasons why photography / art is so fun :)

Lefty

Amar the Linford Wood photo just glows beautifully - a fantastic look that just makes me wish I was there. You really do produce the most stunning tree landscapes - not at all easy and something I never really manage to do.

Also - the pfm PAW has to be the most civilised place on the internet!

That's incredibly kind of you to say Ian - thank you! :)

And agreed about the PAW thread being such a civilised place. Were it not for this thread and the photo room, I would not have started on my photographic journey. Definitely one of the jewels in PFM's crown I'd say!

Amar

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back