advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victory Rolls...
Seen at Goodwood Revival last week

ODTqmM.jpg

Tony, I love your latest of Orford lighthouse, your game seems to have taken a step up recently.

I'm not sure that I realised the sea had got that close, surely the structure can't survive a winter storm of the kind they had 3 or 4 years ago when the Ness was almost broached at Slaughden. I walked down the ness almost as far as the LH the following summer. I don't recommend it, the shingle collapses under your feet, it is exhausting.

They’re expecting the lighthouse to go with the next big storm. The tidal action is having most effective on the other side from where I took this photo. It’s not nice.

Thanks for the comment, @eternumviti. I recently bought an SRB ND1000 Rugged filter, and that seems to have helped me progress a little. Only £40 for the 77mm, so why not!

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/nd1000-rugged-filters-1559-c.asp

I think I've probably mentioned it on here before, but my daughter's bedroom at the top of Aldeburgh looked down the Alde towards Orford, and she used to love the light from the lighthouse passing across her bedroom walls, found it somehow very comforting. There was much sadness when they switched the light off, I suppose it was about 4 years ago. I've a cousin whose house in the boondocks below Orford also looks straight onto it.

Presumably the plan to dismantle and move the structure inland came to nothing.

If you go down to the woods tonight..
48798164456_6760e1a4b6_b.jpg

Went to visit the Bombay Sapphire distillery recently and was greeted by some very organic/bonkers architecture. I can imagine the glaziers/builders must have been scratching their heads when the architects gave them the plans and said "Build this.." whilst chortling to themselves :D They're used to grow some of the botanicals used in their gin, btw.

48693379141_28dc52c1a6_c.jpg

48693378631_49e580f2ac_b.jpg

48693375486_48d9990248_b.jpg

48693037368_f1d46e2e91_b.jpg

Kind of reminds of something out of The War of the Worlds!

I think I've probably mentioned it on here before, but my daughter's bedroom at the top of Aldeburgh looked down the Alde towards Orford, and she used to love the light from the lighthouse passing across her bedroom walls, found it somehow very comforting. There was much sadness when they switched the light off, I suppose it was about 4 years ago. I've a cousin whose house in the boondocks below Orford also looks straight onto it.

Presumably the plan to dismantle and move the structure inland came to nothing.

The light was switched off for the last time in 2013.
There are various plans to do something with the lighthouse, but the environmental impact of moving such a large structure on a sensitive and important piece of land is of great concern. The rest of the buildings on the Ness, excepting about six, are to be left in a state of ruination, and I think that speaks volumes for what will happen to the lighthouse.

edit to add:

that image shows how the defences have worked well, but you can’t hold it back forever.

and in 1998:

Today in The Lakes

Ullswater_1 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Wonderful stuff, Ian. :)

Mrs Gromit and I are in the Lakes for a few days from this sunday, so looking forward to it. We did have several days' fell-walking planned but sadly won't be able to this time, but still hope to drag myself up to Orrest Head on one of the days. We've always done the 'big' stuff on walking holidays so it'll be good to go up O.H for a change as never been up there before.

Wonderful stuff, Ian. :)

Mrs Gromit and I are in the Lakes for a few days from this sunday, so looking forward to it. We did have several days' fell-walking planned but sadly won't be able to this time, but still hope to drag myself up to Orrest Head on one of the days. We've always done the 'big' stuff on walking holidays so it'll be good to go up O.H for a change as never been up there before.
Thanks - much appreciated. We've had a very mixed week here (weather-wise) but this shot was an example of just being patient, and always taking the camera in hope if not expectation!. The walk up to this point had been rainy / cloudy / flat and not great for photos. We stopped for a break on a little peninsula - the sun shone through very briefly. A couple of shots only and this one worked for me. We head back south tomorrow - hope you both have a great visit. I'd not been for several years but have been knocked out by the sheer beauty, spectacle and tranquility of the Lake District.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back