advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Amar- I did indeed trade the T2 in, got a good enough price to make it worthwhile. :)

Had a lot of fun with the T2, it (along with my old Pro1) certainly did a good job when I shot a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago. Downside is that I've got so used to IBIS I ended up taking risks with shutter speeds, resulting in a handful of slightly fuzzy images. Took the Pen F also which was putting out tack-sharp images at speeds which would've been utter failures with the Fujis.

This got me thinking that an ideal combo would be that Fuji sensor and ergos/non-menu-delving controls alongside a stabilised sensor. Now, the H1's IBIS isn't even in the same timezone as the Oly (which is crazy-clever) but it's safe'n'sharp down to 1/30sec with the XF56. Even slower if I'm extra careful. In doing so it means keeping ISO low or being able to stop the lens down...perhaps even a bit of both. :)

The H1 also has a more developed shutter - electronic first curtain, and unbelievably quiet. Noise-wise there's no need whatsoever for the ES.

Makes total sense - I can't imagine not having IBIS now. I'd actually go so far as to say it's essential with high resolution cameras.

The electronic front curtain shutter also helps and Nikon has a clever 'auto' mode for the EFCS whereby it cuts in at 1/200s and below (to help minimise the effects of shutter shock) but switches to full mechanical shutter above this (to avoid the detrimental effects of EFCS when shooting wide open at higher shutter speeds).

I look forward to seeing the results :)

Lefty

You've suddenly gone huge. Not just the camera, but also the photos; they no longer fit on my screen! Look forward to seeing the results

Apologies, John - think I've used the wrong dimensions in Flickr so will re-adjust next time. <oops>

Two interpretations of photographing a pepper:

48618017542_bdee20aa23_b.jpg

48617523188_61e955ee3c_b.jpg

The second is a shameless re-creation of a very famous photograph, with apologies to the original artist

Makes total sense - I can't imagine not having IBIS now. I'd actually go so far as to say it's essential with high resolution cameras.

The electronic front curtain shutter also helps and Nikon has a clever 'auto' mode for the EFCS whereby it cuts in at 1/200s and below (to help minimise the effects of shutter shock) but switches to full mechanical shutter above this (to avoid the detrimental effects of EFCS when shooting wide open at higher shutter speeds).

I look forward to seeing the results :)

Lefty

It's definitely the way forward IME. The X-H1 has a 'suspended' shutter mechanism, held in place by springs which damps out any residual shock apparently. In practice, I've never known a mechanical shutter (away from leaf shutters) to be so quiet and free from vibration. I'm still not sure about the top panel LCD - would still rather have a manual exp comp dial - but it's quiet handy being able to see the camera's important settings without using the screen.

It's definitely the way forward IME. The X-H1 has a 'suspended' shutter mechanism, held in place by springs which damps out any residual shock apparently. In practice, I've never known a mechanical shutter (away from leaf shutters) to be so quiet and free from vibration. I'm still not sure about the top panel LCD - would still rather have a manual exp comp dial - but it's quiet handy being able to see the camera's important settings without using the screen.

I'll have to get my hands on X-H1 and give it a go. I do love a good shutter. IMHO the leaf shutter on the X100 series cameras is a big part of their success - I absolutely love it.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back