advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just returned from a most enjoyable family holiday to Pembrokeshire. Needless to say the camera came along and whilst photography time was limited, I did manage to sneak in a couple of outings.

This is probably my favourite image from the trip.

Church Rock by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 24-70mm f4 S
Formatt Hitech Filters Firecrest Circular Polariser + 1.2 Hard Grad
Kase Filters Wolverine 6 Stop ND
Manfrotto MT190 CX Pro 4 / 3 Legged Thing Airhed Neo

@Gromit - sorry to hear about the X-T2 locking up. I remember the same thing happening to me when I was shooting an outdoor family portrait. I had a theory that it night have been problems writing to the memory cards (I had two cards in and set it to duplicate the RAW images to both cards) but I never got round to testing out the theory. Turning it off / on again sorted it. Not ideal and if it were my job I wouldn't be happy. Hope it didn't cause too many problems / missed shots?

Lefty

@Lefty @Gromit i don’t suffer any lock up problems with my X-T2, I write Raw+JPG to both cards in backup mode and run latest firmware. Cards are Sandisk 64Gb Extreme Pro (not the fastest ones, they are 3 years old). I don’t remove the cards from the camera though (except for firmware updates), I’ve had an issue in the past where I corrupted a card mid-inserting it into my computer -user error!! I always extract images via USB.

If you are running current firmware, then I would suspect the cards as Lefty says. Buy a couple of new ones, they aren’t expensive these days (unless you want ultimate video speed)

At the wedding I shot on friday, the evening's music was provided by an old colleague's band (check out London Showband). Tony (in the photo) was depping on lead Alto - he's been through a rough time recently but as is his way, he remains positive. Bloody good muso too - and a great friend. Was wonderful to spend time chatting, so caught up for a jar during some downtime between sets:

Interval drink by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2/XF35-1.4

@user510 What is even more impressive at Dinowic is the sheer size of some of the slate structures, there are retaining walls 10m high, inclines that comprise of tens of thousands of slate blocks, and none of these blocks are light. The cutting sheds high up in quarry and just simply enormous.

Look at this wall, and it runs around the whole of the front of the cutting shed (getting taller as it goes), you can see the other end of it in @ff1d1l post 2nd image in the first of the two posts - through the gap.

kXbOhqxh.jpg

And the cutting shed to show you some idea of scale, the smaller building is the steam engine maintenance shed, so it big enough to get a couple of small steam locomotives in the front part!)

181227 Dinorwic - Australia Cutting Sheds
by David Yeoman, on Flickr
Hmmmm....I was in that shed a few years after the quarry had closed down. The roof was perfect, I remember air extraction ducts, a central raised room with stairs up to it, some sort of boiler in the rear and trefails in little slate booths down the wall nearest the lake. And the slate saws, of course.
I guess the saws will outlive the building.

Hmmmm....I was in that shed a few years after the quarry had closed down. The roof was perfect, I remember air extraction ducts, a central raised room with stairs up to it, some sort of boiler in the rear and trefails in little slate booths down the wall nearest the lake. And the slate saws, of course.
I guess the saws will outlive the building.

Like some other quarries it’s degraded a lot in the last 5 years

Photos like this are pushing me to throw away all my cameras and not to take photos anymore.

That's very kind Yuri - honestly, it's 95% location/timing and 5% photographic skill.

We spent most of our time on this beach on glorious sunny days. However, it wasn't until a cloudy and tempestuous evening that I decided it was worth photographing (the threat of rain also helped to ensure I had the location to myself - which was an added bonus!)

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back