advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back working in Yorkshire earlier this week, and even a broken toe is not going to stop me getting out with the camera!

Pancake Rock Sunset, Burley Moor (X100F)

90XriS2h.jpg

though in continuing my mono phase, I think I prefer this one pre-sunset

190513 Burley Moor
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

@Gromit @Pete MB&D - thank you chaps! Resistance was futile :D

Summer isn't my most photographically productive period, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with it :)

Lefty

When I got my RIII I had a brief 'feel' of the Z6 and it did impress greatly. Nikon really do have a knack with the whole UI thing, making their cameras ones to 'work' with, rather than 'put up' with. Have to admit though - over time - the RIII is a massive step in the right direction and with My Menu set up as I need it, it's a nice thing to use. The new 3.0 firmware has given a boost too, the animal eye-AF is great fun! :)

Had a close look at Samyang's new 85-1.4 AF today which for the money is one hell of a tool. Going back to the store on monday with my own camera to have a proper play.

+1 on the Nikon UI, far better than the Canon most of which you can't switch on with the hand you are holding it with.

Pete

When I got my RIII I had a brief 'feel' of the Z6 and it did impress greatly. Nikon really do have a knack with the whole UI thing, making their cameras ones to 'work' with, rather than 'put up' with. Have to admit though - over time - the RIII is a massive step in the right direction and with My Menu set up as I need it, it's a nice thing to use. The new 3.0 firmware has given a boost too, the animal eye-AF is great fun! :)

Had a close look at Samyang's new 85-1.4 AF today which for the money is one hell of a tool. Going back to the store on monday with my own camera to have a proper play.

It was a very close call between the rIII and the Z7. Ultimately it was the glass which swung it. Whilst Sony's glass is superb, it isn't cheap. A case in point being the 100-400. I'm surprised by how much I miss my old Tamron 150-600 on the D800E. I wanted to get the 100-400 but just couldn't justify the cost. Hence why I bagged myself a Tamron 150-600 G2 for my Z7.

It seems like Sony price their bodies cheaply but their glass is expensive to recoup the money? Nikon bodies are expensive by comparison but their glass is cheaper (in general). On a related subject, I'm pleased to report that the FTZ adaptor works wonderfully. The AF with F mount lenses on the FTZ is definitely faster than I remember on the D800E and that's good enough for me. Crucially, the AF is also dead on accurate. (As evidenced by my son's eye in the image above being perfectly in focus - shot at f2.2 on the 85/1.8).

I don't think you can lose these days. There are so many excellent cameras on the market. Reviewers like to exaggerate the differences but I think the truth is there is no 'bad'' camera. It comes down to individual preference and shooting style at the end of the day.

As regards the Samyang 85/1.4, I'd be keen to hear how you get on. It's not a lens I'm familiar with. How does it compare price wise with the Sigma ART 85/1.4?

+1 on the Nikon UI, far better than the Canon most of which you can't switch on with the hand you are holding it with.

Pete

I've not had a huge amount of experience with Canon, but I definitely do love Nikon's UI. My muscle memory is used to their cameras to the point where picking up the Z7 felt like coming home. The D850 would probably feel even better but I love mirrorless cameras too much.

Lefty

I don't think you can lose these days. There are so many excellent cameras on the market. Reviewers like to exaggerate the differences but I think the truth is there is no 'bad'' camera. It comes down to individual preference and shooting style at the end of the day.

This is a very good point, well made.

I am slightly concerned (they're a big name when all's said) where Canon are going. Chatting to a couple of friends in the trade (one of whom is store manager of a highly respected camera dealer - and a Canon Pro outlet). Sales of Canon cameras have bombed recently, and the EOS-R has been - whilst not a disaster - a bit of a flop c/w Sony Mk3's and Nikon Z's. I had a brief pick-up of an EOS-R and it was a bit of a 'meh' moment. They really need to look at Nikon. It's almost as though Canon have made a half-arsed attempt at mirrorless because they feel duty-bound to do so, but at the same time feel it's an abomination that will go away. Hoping I'm wrong - the photographic world needs them.

When all's said though - there is no one perfect camera, but likewise there isn't a bad one. Although if we could have all this in one body...

Nikon UI
Olympus build/ergo's and IBIS
Sony sensor and AF
Fuji glass and jpeg engine

...I'd be one happy chap. :)

This is a very good point, well made.

I am slightly concerned (they're a big name when all's said) where Canon are going. Chatting to a couple of friends in the trade (one of whom is store manager of a highly respected camera dealer - and a Canon Pro outlet). Sales of Canon cameras have bombed recently, and the EOS-R has been - whilst not a disaster - a bit of a flop c/w Sony Mk3's and Nikon Z's. I had a brief pick-up of an EOS-R and it was a bit of a 'meh' moment. They really need to look at Nikon. It's almost as though Canon have made a half-arsed attempt at mirrorless because they feel duty-bound to do so, but at the same time feel it's an abomination that will go away. Hoping I'm wrong - the photographic world needs them.

When all's said though - there is no one perfect camera, but likewise there isn't a bad one. Although if we could have all this in one body...

Nikon UI
Olympus build/ergo's and IBIS
Sony sensor and AF
Fuji glass and jpeg engine

...I'd be one happy chap. :)

Yes, agreed about Canon (unfortunately). It's a shame as they make great glass. I for one hope that they shock us all and release a high megapixel monster with a totally new sensor design and re-designed UI. (Not too good though as I don't want it to be better than my Z7 :D ) Seriously though, it's great to have so much choice and competition is healthy.

As to your perfect camera - I'd buy it!! :D

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back