advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
0n1wIB.jpg

Ginchy, Somme, March 2018.

There's a lovely light in the second of the duo, Steve. I like the emptiness too.

Thanks, it was one of those obvious shots when I got there. It was taken on a humped back bridge over the canal - if you follow the link to Flickr you can see the exact location.

Just got back from a very enjoyable family holiday to Cyprus. Needless to say I took my camera along and managed to take some images which I am happy with. Most of the 'serious' stuff focussed around coastal sunset long exposures. This is not my usual style of image but with conditions being the way they were it would have been rude not to!

I also provided a good opportunity for me to practice my wide angle landscape photography (again something which I don't do a lot of as I tend to favour telephoto for landscapes). This was made possible by the purchase of a Samyang 12mm f2 for my Fuji X-T2. (Which as it turns out is a lovely piece of glass).

At first I was a bit uncomfortable sharing these images as they are heavily saturated and have an almost HDR look to them (although they are not HDR - just very carefully balanced exposures using filters). However, I can assure you that no saturation sliders were harmed in the making of these images. This is what it actually looked like! Once I realised this, I was ok about sharing the images.

Fire in the Sky by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / Samyang 12mm f2

Lefty

There's a bit of pareidolia (I see faces) in that pylon, Toby! I can imagine a team of mechanical horses on the end of those wires ploughing the field.

Just got back from a very enjoyable family holiday to Cyprus. Needless to say I took my camera along and managed to take some images which I am happy with. Most of the 'serious' stuff focussed around coastal sunset long exposures. This is not my usual style of image but with conditions being the way they were it would have been rude not to!

I also provided a good opportunity for me to practice my wide angle landscape photography (again something which I don't do a lot of as I tend to favour telephoto for landscapes). This was made possible by the purchase of a Samyang 12mm f2 for my Fuji X-T2. (Which as it turns out is a lovely piece of glass).

At first I was a bit uncomfortable sharing these images as they are heavily saturated and have an almost HDR look to them (although they are not HDR - just very carefully balanced exposures using filters). However, I can assure you that no saturation sliders were harmed in the making of these images. This is what it actually looked like! Once I realised this, I was ok about sharing the images.

Fire in the Sky by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / Samyang 12mm f2

Lefty

It doesn't look HDR at all, soft and almost slighly desaturated. That is a beautiful lens, the detail and clarity are fabulous.

Thanks Paul, hadn't seen that until you mentioned it.

It doesn't look HDR at all, soft and almost slighly desaturated. That is a beautiful lens, the detail and clarity are fabulous.

Thank you Toby - that's reassuring to hear. We seem to be bombarded with HDR sunset shots so it's a difficult subject to do tastefully. I tend to prefer sunrise to sunset but as I was on holiday I promised myself I would resist the urge to set the alarm!

Yes, it's a cracking little lens and a bargain. It also has a minimum focus distance of 0.2m so is great for a different take on close up work too. (Although obvs. not a true macro)

Lefty

I saw that sequence on instagram earlier, Amar, they are really beautiful, the colours are so gentle.

Just a note though, I noticed the horizon is off kilter.

I saw that sequence on instagram earlier, Amar, they are really beautiful, the colours are so gentle.

Just a note though, I noticed the horizon is off kilter.

Thanks for the kind words Toby - much appreciated :)

I must admit to struggling a bit with the horizon on this one. When I captured the image, I ensured the camera was level using the electronic level indicator. However, the presence of the sloping hills on the right side of the image still made the horizon appear off-kilter (an optical illusion). I tried to subjectively level it in post but could never get it quite perfect. (Annoying as these things
always stick out to me!)

Lefty

It is an awe-inspiring photo, Merlin. You've shown it on the forum before, in a cycling thread, way back, I think. I remember being pretty stunned then.

How was it taken, the vantage point looks potentially precarious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back