advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
43166467025_b51fa92195_b.jpg

42267886240_17be516d3c_b.jpg

29139402187_7e373ae5c1_b.jpg

Adopt a cowboy dress code and you've got "Marlboro Man." A nice tough guy portrait, Vuk

thanks paul. it was just a silly snapshot of an artist friend who also works at the camera shop (he was taking a break there at the time) and i did not expect it to turn out this well. he is a good critic, so i routinely shown him my latest shots.

btw -- also glad you "like" the 2 construction abstracts. others here don't seem to be fans for this sort of thing, but i am getting some attention outside pfm (or i'd be totally depressed and selling the cameras by now). one of my big problems is that one can not just wander around construction sites freely after hours. everything is locked up and monitored by camera. i climbed over a fence a few months ago, only to have the police arrive 5 minutes later. for the two above, i just held the camera above the fence and tried to frame as best as possible.

Last edited:
Superb Richard - this is dripping with atmosphere. Looks like a still from a movie. Wonderfully processed too.

Lefty

Thanks Amar - you're very kind. :)

Been trying to emulate Fuji's Classic Chrome by playing with the Pen F's colour profiles. The number of permutations available is just huge but it's fun trying to get there.

Thanks Amar - you're very kind. :)

Been trying to emulate Fuji's Classic Chrome by playing with the Pen F's colour profiles. The number of permutations available is just huge but it's fun trying to get there.

You've done a very good job! Have you still got the X100F? For geek purposes only, it might be interesting to do a side-by-side with your home brew CC vs Fuji's :)

What are these colour profiles out of interest? Are they the in-built JPEG modes on the camera which can be tweaked in terms of contrast, saturation, sharpness etc or are they something different? On a related note, I have to say I've been very impressed with the black and white images I've seen from that camera. The in-built profile for that is clearly excellent.

Lefty

You've done a very good job! Have you still got the X100F? For geek purposes only, it might be interesting to do a side-by-side with your home brew CC vs Fuji's :)

What are these colour profiles out of interest? Are they the in-built JPEG modes on the camera which can be tweaked in terms of contrast, saturation, sharpness etc or are they something different? On a related note, I have to say I've been very impressed with the black and white images I've seen from that camera. The in-built profile for that is clearly excellent.

Lefty

Hi Amar - I don't have the X100F any more, sadly. It was (is) a lovely camera but prefer using the Pen F. Not only is it virtually as good in terms of IQ, but it's quicker, has superb IBIS and of course can be used with different lenses. With the Panny 20-1.7 pancake it's just as small as the Fuji. All things considered, I think I liked the X100T the best out of all the X100 range.

The colour profiles are many and varied! You can go with the camera's default settings (of which there are 3 different profiles) or you can adjust to your heart's content: Shadows/highlight/midtones adjustable in 6 steps either way of '0'. Also saturation over the whole spectrum by the same amount. The same with filters - especially good in the mono modes. I first though the small 'Art' wheel on the front of the camera was a gimmick, but it's far from it. The mono profiles (especially '2') are gorgeous.

Hi Amar - I don't have the X100F any more, sadly. It was (is) a lovely camera but prefer using the Pen F. Not only is it virtually as good in terms of IQ, but it's quicker, has superb IBIS and of course can be used with different lenses. With the Panny 20-1.7 pancake it's just as small as the Fuji. All things considered, I think I liked the X100T the best out of all the X100 range.

The colour profiles are many and varied! You can go with the camera's default settings (of which there are 3 different profiles) or you can adjust to your heart's content: Shadows/highlight/midtones adjustable in 6 steps either way of '0'. Also saturation over the whole spectrum by the same amount. The same with filters - especially good in the mono modes. I first though the small 'Art' wheel on the front of the camera was a gimmick, but it's far from it. The mono profiles (especially '2') are gorgeous.

Thanks for the feedback Richard. I suspected that may be the case re: X100F as I hadn't seen any images from it for a while. I totally understand where you're coming from, having been in similar situations before. Having more than one camera sounds great, but when they are so similar, I find you always end up taking your preferred camera out and the other just gathers dust. The only time I've found it makes sense to have more than one camera is when they fulfil totally different needs. (e.g. one camera for slow, purposeful, IQ critical work, and another for small, portable, spontaneous image making). Also interesting comments re: X100T vs F. I've not used the F, but the T certainly has (still has) a special place in my heart. Such a wonderful little camera....

Also thanks for the feedback on the colour profiles. It's probably a good thing that I don't have a camera like that as the geek in me wouldn't be able to stop playing with it! Seriously though, that sounds like a great feature. I'd love to get my hands on a Pen F someday as I've never even seen one in the flesh.

Lefty

My pleasure, Amar. :)

I tend to use the Pen a lot more than the E-M1 to be honest - it's not as quick, but in AF-S mode (which is what I use 99% of the time) it's right up there with the quicker lenses. To be honest, I could probably live with just the one camera now - shot a friend's wedding last weekend (plus the QTM gig which you've seen the photos of) and didn't really find 2 bodies gave any advantage.

The Pen has the slightly better (newer) sensor than the E-M1 but the IQ difference, whilst there, is small. Both cameras are beautifully built though - the E-M1 rugged, the Pen just downright gorgeous. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back