advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC_1082.jpg

Steve

Back to Dinorwic yesterday, a nice damp, overcast day, something that suits the mood of the place. I went up to some of the higher levels, and there was a noticeable deterioration (since my last visit) in many of the buildings (and some of the inclines are now fairly dodgy underfoot), the Snowdonia weather finally getting its turn nearly 50 years after the quarry closed.

The Australia Level - Cutting Sheds are nearly 1600ft up. Built in the 19th century, the size of the building is quite incredible given its position.

181227 Dinorwic - Australia Cutting Sheds
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

181227 Dinorwic - Australia Cutting Sheds 2

Some lovely photographs on your site Amar.
I take the shed is for cutting slate David? Did the workers live on the site? Pictures look good saying how overcast it is.

I take the shed is for cutting slate David? Did the workers live on the site? Pictures look good saying how overcast it is.

Yes, slate cutting dressing, before transporting to lower levels. second largest quarry in N. Wales at it's peak, 3000 workers (on piece work!!!). Some did live on site, there were some barracks on lower levels (didn't visit them this time, a older photo from 2016 for reference. Piece Work must have been a real pain, as it could take an hour to walk from bottom to top!!

161203 Anglesey Barracks, Dinorwic Quarry

Wonderful images of Dinorwic, David - for a long time I've found industrial decay a fascinating (albeit sad) topic and these places throw up fabulous image-making opportunities too. The lead mines above Swaledale in N Yorks are great too.

Some good old Helios-swirl:

Last leaves by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Sony A7RII/Helios 55M

Some lovely photographs on your site Amar.

Thank you - I really appreciate it.

I've just updated my website so really pleased you like it :)

Yes, slate cutting dressing, before transporting to lower levels. second largest quarry in N. Wales at it's peak, 3000 workers (on piece work!!!). Some did live on site, there were some barracks on lower levels (didn't visit them this time, a older photo from 2016 for reference. Piece Work must have been a real pain, as it could take an hour to walk from bottom to top!!

161203 Anglesey Barracks, Dinorwic Quarry

Mr P - that is a fabulous image. I really need to get myself over to Dinorwic, but I fear it's the kind of place that is difficult to get your bearings in just one visit.

Lefty

Some awesome shots on here.

Can't compete with any of you guys but I do get to see some wild wildlife.

Stood in the kitchen having a coffee and a chat with the Mother in Law who'd just arrived on Xmas Eve and this thing descended down like some sort of Pterodactyl. Quickly grabbed the camera before it sprung its neck back and took off again. Awesome experience.

DSC01032-adj.jpg

DSC01032-adj.jpg

Thank you - I really appreciate it.

I've just updated my website so really pleased you like it :)

Mr P - that is a fabulous image. I really need to get myself over to Dinorwic, but I fear it's the kind of place that is difficult to get your bearings in just one visit.

Lefty

Amar, you need another 'pass-out' for 2019. I'm always up for another visit, you can get a lot out of one day, but it would be a long day, best done Oct-Apr, as harsh sunlight makes the photography challenging.

BUT you need to do it soon 2019/2020, some of it is really starting to fall apart.

I walked down this incline, and then turned and saw the state it was in, I won't be doing that again!!!

181227 Dinorwic - Incline C4

I really need to get myself over to Dinorwic, but I fear it's the kind of place that is difficult to get your bearings in just one visit.

Lefty
I live five minutes walk away, and know it extremely well, if you'd like a show-around...

Amar, you need another 'pass-out' for 2019. I'm always up for another visit, you can get a lot out of one day, but it would be a long day, best done Oct-Apr, as harsh sunlight makes the photography challenging.

BUT you need to do it soon 2019/2020, some of it is really starting to fall apart.

I walked down this incline, and then turned and saw the state it was in, I won't be doing that again!!!

181227 Dinorwic - Incline C4

I live five minutes walk away, and know it extremely well, if you'd like a show-around...

Thanks for the info and invites / offers chaps!

Mr P - that's a good point re: the physical deterioration of the area and the dangers this presents. Definitely not somewhere I'd like to be wandering around for the first time on my own.

I'm determined to get out and about more in 2019, so a visit to Dinorwic could well be on the cards.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back