advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas Paul! Gorgeous bokeh :)

Richard - 'backlit branches' is lovely.

Here's my latest doodle. Easily the most difficult to date!

39234378681_577b848022_b.jpg

Lefty

Thanks Amar.

These drawings are great, and you've got a fair bit artistic flair. Are you drawing them freehand or tracing them? I can't draw, and as for a straight line freehand, well, they look like I've drawn them whilst riding an unsprung Victorian bicycle along a cobbled street :-D

Thanks Amar.

These drawings are great, and you've got a fair bit artistic flair. Are you drawing them freehand or tracing them? I can't draw, and as for a straight line freehand, well, they look like I've drawn them whilst riding an unsprung Victorian bicycle along a cobbled street :-D

Thank you Paul - I really appreciate it :)

They are a combination of freehand and tracing. I use the tracing to get the proportions and curves correct, but the details and embellishments are hand drawn. The images are obtained from unsplash, as they are free of copyright and can be copied / drawn. On the car above, the 'wind tunnel lines', colour scheme and shading, bumper details are all my own. As regards straight lines, I'm the same! Luckily the latest 2018 version of photoshop has a smoothing feature which works a bit like VR on a lens and allows you to draw smoother lines. The price to pay is that the lines are drawn at a much slower pace. It takes some getting used to, but is very useful. I was never any good at drawing whilst at school so it's a mountain I've always wanted to climb. My aim is to progress to the point where I can come up with my own, totally original concepts from my own hand and fully hand draw them. I've got a LONG way to go, but I'm enjoying the journey. I also really enjoy printing these doodles, as they come out very well on art papers such as Fotospeed NST BW 315. I draw them at a resolution which will allow printing up to A2 at 300 DPI.

On a related note, I have been doing all my drawing in Photoshop, but like the idea of using a vector based package such as Adobe Illustrator. However, the price of Illustrator (£20 / month) put me off. As such, I bought Affinity Designer yesterday, which is a competitor. It (and Affinity Photo) are currently discounted down to £38 for anyone who is interested :)

Lefty

On a related note, I have been doing all my drawing in Photoshop, but like the idea of using a vector based package such as Adobe Illustrator. However, the price of Illustrator (£20 / month) put me off. As such, I bought Affinity Designer yesterday, which is a competitor. It (and Affinity Photo) are currently discounted down to £38 for anyone who is interested :)

Try InkScape Lefty...

DSCF9258_1024px.jpg

I must down to the seas again...

Christmas morning: get up early - took the Alpina B10 the twisty way down to the rugged Dorset coastline this morning, and (there and back) with a free rein and empty roads ... fleece on, and windows down for to hear the sonorous-six work hard. A joy. Easily back in time for festivities.

Try InkScape Lefty...

It does look very interesting (and free!). I'll have to download it at some point and give it a go. Meanwhile I've been trying to get to grips with Affinity Designer over the past few days. First impressions (as someone who has never used a vector based illustration tool before) is that it feels more like I am doing technical drawings than art. That said, the geek in me can see the endless possibilities and power of this tool and I am keen to try and express myself using it. This is my first attempt with it - took me 3 days! (little 20 min bursts in between the festivities)

38612706214_8dc06e245d_b.jpg

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back