pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2008 part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas day. Llanfairfechan beach.

3137721153_2066b954aa_b.jpg

Nice tree reflections Tantris

Here are some from the New Forest.

3138134897_e56bb78f3d_b.jpg

Sorry about the size, but I uploaded the camera jpeg to flickr and this is the only sensible size to link to.

3133821300_2a1139e3eb_o.jpg

The excitement of christmas, or what ?
Nikon D3X 50mm F1.2 at F1.2

D3X? Blimey Cliff you and your cameras! Does this mean you are going to have to sell me your older D3 which is clearly now useless and redundant for a knock down price?

Cesare

D3X? Blimey Cliff you and your cameras! Does this mean you are going to have to sell me your older D3 which is clearly now useless and redundant for a knock down price?

Cesare

Hi Cesare

no, I won't be selling the D3, because the D3X doesn't do 25000 ISO and doesn't do more than a frame a second saving RAW and FINE JPEG per shot. But it is a thing of wonder for the jpeg output in daylight

If you want one of my old [sic] cameras, I can't think of any reason why I need a D300 any more ....

cheers
Cliff

PS What do you think of the quality of the image?

Hi Cesare

no, I won't be selling the D3, because the D3X doesn't do 25000 ISO and doesn't do more than a frame a second saving RAW and FINE JPEG per shot. But it is a thing of wonder for the jpeg output in daylight

If you want one of my old [sic] cameras, I can't think of any reason why I need a D300 any more ....

cheers
Cliff

PS What do you think of the quality of the image?

Well the colour balance on that indoor shot looks lovely, but i'm not sure I can (or should be able) to tell the D3 from the D3x in such a sized shot. I think given the resolution of the D3x you are going to need to review your lenses and what are suitable apertures to use them at - you will probably be limited by the lens in situations where previously you weren't.

I guess that's my point, armed with a D3 or a D3x the decision on which one to take with you will come down to the amount of light, and whether you are likely to ever want to print an A0 poster from the image!

Thanks for the offer of the D300, but i've got a crop sensor, and it's full frame for me next.

Cesare

Well the colour balance on that indoor shot looks lovely, but i'm not sure I can (or should be able) to tell the D3 from the D3x in such a sized shot. I think given the resolution of the D3x you are going to need to review your lenses and what are suitable apertures to use them at - you will probably be limited by the lens in situations where previously you weren't.

I guess that's my point, armed with a D3 or a D3x the decision on which one to take with you will come down to the amount of light, and whether you are likely to ever want to print an A0 poster from the image!

I think I can tell the difference on an 800 wide jpeg resized from the in camera jpeg, because the D3 to me looks more kind of journalistic and the D3X looks more studio like - at the end of the day there is some software in the camera doing stuff with the raw data to produce the jpegs. If I took the RAW images from each camera and processed them the same way to jpeg they might look more similar. I suspect that unless I have to pack light I will carry both bodies with an appropriate lens on each as a standard pack and one spare lens for shot not possible with the other two.

The obvious lenses to carry are the 24-70f2.8 and the 14-24f2.8, with either the medium telephoto zoom or the long one depending on what I'm shooting.

However results with the following lenses have also been good: micro Nikkor 60mm (the D series), Ziess 35mm ZF F2.0, 50mm f1.2 (AIS)

I'm looking forward to doing a few more tripod shots at dusk on various river sides, as I think the D3X will really shine.

cheers
Cliff

Being a new boy here and having only recently gotten to grips with Photobucket I offer you more on the Isle of Skye...it not the only photo's I have (honest) but the only ones I have to distract me from a mind numbing day at work...

IMG_3286.jpg

Paul

Cool, I like the curved horizon in that. It was -7 to -9 ish, so not really super cold, but expired Pola is dodgy at the best of times, so the low temps plus the shock of freezing cold to warm in my jacket, to cold again sent things a bit funny. I was more worried about the giant seagulls tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back