advertisement

pfm Health Club

Which surely can't be right can it? You can't go your whole life training to run marathons just to keep your weight under control.

I'm glad it works for you though, I couldn't do it.

I don’t think two or three lots of 40 minute exercise and a longer run is unsustainable. I’d obviously cut intake down if I wasn’t doing it. Fewer carbs for sure.

I train because I enjoy it - not to keep weight off. I think I that is the sustainable approach. If I wanted to keep weight off I would eat less and drink less beer.

I train because I enjoy it - not to keep weight off. I think I that is the sustainable approach. If I wanted to keep weight off I would eat less and drink less beer.

I agree, expressed much better than I! I train because I enjoy it, I love the challenge, it makes me be reasonable about what I eat, and after my long run on Sunday, I’ve got a spare 1400 calories to play with!!!

Same here. It is all down to routine, 4 mins on the bike along with neck and eyes exercises, 5 mins on the rower, 4 mins of various yoga moves. I missed today as a bit of a hangover, but because I have managed 15 or so days continous, I woke and was still fairly flexible. I do know if I miss tomorrow I will suffer, so deffo back on it in the morning, sensible eating as well, more importantly I want to do it

Bloss

Time to get this going again.

To recap, I started this thread when I was 140.8kg in August 2018. By the beginning of December 2018 I was down to 131kg. This was while on the 5:2 lifestyle.

From there I struggled. Fast forward to January 2020, and I was back to where I started. I hate January. Dark, miserable...

I really began to feel less than 100%, so decided to give my red wine habit the heave. That was on 20th January. Weight at that time was 141.1kg. I felt (feel) better, but decided on a routine doctor’s appointment. We’ve moved last year, and I wanted to meet my new Dr and get a general health check. The upshot of this is that I’ve been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Not madly into the spectrum, but definitely there. I’ve been prescribed Metformin.

Now, I’ve always had a sweet tooth, and having given up the wine, had turned to alternative treats. This diagnosis clearly had implications there! So I’m now on a low carb (or at least low GI) path, and therefore zero “sweets”. Lots of vegetables and also knocked off previously accompanying butter and mayonnaise.

I don’t know what my chances of getting my diabetes into remission are, but with no family history of the condition I’m assuming it’s primarily about my weight, so I’m taking the approach that I’m lucky I may have some personal control over what happens next.

Today I’m 136.5kg, and I’m going to keep posting my progress.

Hope everyone else who previously joined in are keeping well.

Keep it going @Whaleblue.

My weight loss had stalled, I had gained weight over Christmas.

Also I've had a CT scan to see if my cancer was growing again (it's not), worries about my job security (now safe) and major cockup with my pension payments (still not quite resolved) and news that my older sister was seriously ill in hospital and now on palliative care.

I've had a few more beers than normal but I'm getting back to my old regime of sensible eating and regular brisk walks plus my weekly workout with my 15 month old grandson

This is keeping me reasonably fit and relatively healthy.

93.5 kg this morning down from 96.6 a couple of weeks ago.

@seagull, I hope you continue to hold a steady course. Without knowing you beyond these pages, I can’t quite find the words to express my thoughts for your sister. I do hope she gets the best care that’s possible right now.

Welcome back whaleblue. Shame about the diabetes but at 140 kg you are obese by any measure and it was a matter of when not if.
The good news is that it's reversible. A friend of mine had T2D, took up cycling, went on a diet, now medication free and very fit.
What on earth are you eating to maintain 140kg? I'm not having a go but this isn't the result of a mars bar at the football or a few pints on a Friday. The solution is in your hands.

Welcome back whaleblue. Shame about the diabetes but at 140 kg you are obese by any measure and it was a matter of when not if.
The good news is that it's reversible. A friend of mine had T2D, took up cycling, went on a diet, now medication free and very fit.
What on earth are you eating to maintain 140kg? I'm not having a go but this isn't the result of a mars bar at the football or a few pints on a Friday. The solution is in your hands.

Wine - far too much of an evening - the real middle class epidemic.

Cheese.

Plus a very sedentary lifestyle, 45 hours+ a week sat behind a desk.

However, with the wine out of the way, an even healthier diet (it wasn’t appalling previously, but plenty of room for improvement) and a bit of exercise I do hope I can reverse this.

On the exercise front, I’ve finally set the Concept2 rower up somewhere that I’ll use it. I might as well plot my progress on that too.

2000m in 9:50. That’s 2:27.5 500m splits.

Lots of room for improvement there too, but I’ll take it easy until I’ve seen some significant weight loss.

I believe some people are particularly susceptible to bad effects from wine, I mean it really effects their blood pressure and weight if they drink regularly, even if it’s just a small quantity.

Cheese may be a good thing. I mean I know it contains bad fats, but it really fills you up for a long time and so overall, if you eat some cheese you may consume less calories in the end.

As far as exercise goes, for me the important thing is to make it a regular and frequent part of your routine. Every day, as regular as shaving.

I find bread has a very bad effect on my weight, I lost a lot of weight just reducing how much bread I ate, even though it was “good” bread with complex carbs (whole rye)

Time to get this going again.

To recap, I started this thread when I was 140.8kg in August 2018. By the beginning of December 2018 I was down to 131kg. This was while on the 5:2 lifestyle.

From there I struggled. Fast forward to January 2020, and I was back to where I started. I hate January. Dark, miserable...

I really began to feel less than 100%, so decided to give my red wine habit the heave. That was on 20th January. Weight at that time was 141.1kg. I felt (feel) better, but decided on a routine doctor’s appointment. We’ve moved last year, and I wanted to meet my new Dr and get a general health check. The upshot of this is that I’ve been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Not madly into the spectrum, but definitely there. I’ve been prescribed Metformin.

Now, I’ve always had a sweet tooth, and having given up the wine, had turned to alternative treats. This diagnosis clearly had implications there! So I’m now on a low carb (or at least low GI) path, and therefore zero “sweets”. Lots of vegetables and also knocked off previously accompanying butter and mayonnaise.

I don’t know what my chances of getting my diabetes into remission are, but with no family history of the condition I’m assuming it’s primarily about my weight, so I’m taking the approach that I’m lucky I may have some personal control over what happens next.

Today I’m 136.5kg, and I’m going to keep posting my progress.

Hope everyone else who previously joined in are keeping well.
Good luck, yes you can get fight your way away from diabetes so it’s worth the effort.

Keep talking and you’ll find plenty of support and encouragement.

Yes stick at it, once you get into an altered routine it becomes the norm rather than some sort of fad or health kick.

I hate the winter as well, working outside a lot I seem to crave hot stodgy food and lots of it, thankfully this year I've managed to not gain any weight over the winter and held steady at 13.5 stone.

When the weather picks up I hope to see it come down some more, 12.5 would be nice with holding steady at an even 13 over the winter.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about booze, with the amount of driving and early starts I do I can't risk drinking in the week, so my drinking is fairly light and contained to either a Friday or Saturday night these days.

[2020-01-26] 141.1kg
[2020-02-29] 138.3kg
[2020-03-07] 136.5kg 2000m in 9:50
[2020-03-14] 135.2kg 2000m in 9:45.6
[2020-03-21] 133.7kg 2000m row - no change

Good steady progress there @Whaleblue keep it up.

I'm back up to 95kg. :(

I've had a bad cough (not Covid-19, no other symptoms) so I've been comfort eating and not exercising.

Good steady progress there @Whaleblue keep it up.

I'm back up to 95kg. :(

I've had a bad cough (not Covid-19, no other symptoms) so I've been comfort eating and not exercising.

Without wishing to sound like a “born again”...

What I’ve learnt in the last few weeks is a disassociation between emotion and food. It’s taken the jolt of my diabetes diagnoses to do this, and I just hope I can get others to start thinking about this.

I upped up my exercises the last week, 5 mins yoga, 10 minutes dumbells, 3 mins bike and rower 5-8 mins.

Although I have lost another kilo, also good for my breathing, my main reason is to strengthen the chest muscles around the lung areas, which may help in the future.

Blos

One of the good things about gymnastic rings is that they are very portable.
I took mine to the park today and hung them from a tree to get a 40 minute workout just like in the gym, which of course is now closed for the foreseeable future.

advertisement

Back