advertisement

pfm Health Club

Me too, the only cure for me is to massage the bit that hurts as much as you can, mine is slowly getting better, I shouldn't have ignored it for so long.

BMI 26.1 with a 32" waist, overweight!

Pete

Bmi calculator is a worthless tool to be fair. Mine is 27.7 I'm 53, 5'7"" 80kg 45"" chest 33""waist and apparently overweight. Modified my training in recent years to 3 times a week basically deadlift, bench, shoulder presses and shrugs can no longer squat due to several knee surgeries. Hydro testing is your best bodyfat indicator. Must admit I am fortunate that I eat what I want to, but do subscribe to the what you eat needs to be burnt off. Pretty simple really unless you suffer from a medical condition. Nice to see people trying though shame a lot of the younger generation don't.

Bmi calculator is a worthless tool to be fair. Mine is 27.7 I'm 53, 5'7"" 80kg 45"" chest 33""waist and apparently overweight. Modified my training in recent years to 3 times a week basically deadlift, bench, shoulder presses and shrugs can no longer squat due to several knee surgeries. Hydro testing is your best bodyfat indicator. Must admit I am fortunate that I eat what I want to, but do subscribe to the what you eat needs to be burnt off. Pretty simple really unless you suffer from a medical condition. Nice to see people trying though shame a lot of the younger generation don't.
It just shows how poor BMI is as a indicator of amount of fat.
I do 3 sessions a week squats pull ups shoulders chest arms and core.

Turned 60 this March!

Pete

Good work.

Please don’t do shrugs though, they’re an inefficient movement to build an ugly muscle!
I see no horizontal or vertical pull in your workout summary, either of which would yield greater benefits.

Bent over rows, lat push up performed pushing from a flat forearm. Not being able to squat or lunge is a limiting factor. I cycle abit but not the same as pushing weight.

Progressing slowly but steadily on the rings. I can now do a 30 second top support hold with my wrists turned out a bit. Started ring dips, but can only do sets of 3! Also trying to progress to advance tuck front and back levers. Much more fun than pushing weights!

Thought I’d made progress. 132.4kg on Wednesday. Unbelievably 134.2kg today.

I’m not giving up, but I am going to switch to posting monthly for now. We’re in the middle of a house sale/purchase, and lots of other life/work stuff. I think lifestyle is the key phrase here, and if all pans out as hoped, things should get easier.

I’m back, but have gone backwards over the last three months.

Today, 137.1kg. Lower than when I started the thread, but house move and staying with a friend for two months has not helped.

So, time to start again. I don’t think 5:2 is necessarily my best option now. Having moved to the coast I am now staying back up with the same friend on Monday and Thursday nights, which were my obvious 2 days.

I think I need to look at upping gentle exercise again, cutting out the crap, and looking at portion sizes. The rowing machine is now accessible, so that might help.

As you know, this is a marathon. Hope you find a regime that suits you.

I had a set back recently but I'm back on course (14st 6lb or 92kg).

My ultimate goal is 13st 7lb. I'm 60 in October it would be good to hit my target by then.

Morning WB. Looks like life got in the way again. These things happen. I think that the last sentence is the key to it. Light exercise and portion control. To be fair if you are at 137 kg you are eating a lot. Also at this time of year there's no excuse for not getting out. Even if you work away a pair of trainers or walking shoes are easy to carry about, then you can go for a walk. It doesn't have to be a big deal, go faster than a stroll, get to where you are aware of having to breathe a bit harder, that's good enough. As far as portion control goes, buy some kitchen scales and a recipe book. I think that people who cook their own food have a healthier relationship with food, and get a feel for how much they need. Good luck.

Things are progressing. I can now do 3 sets of 5 ring dips and am working on muscle up negatives. Amazingly I can now attempt iron cross progressions with the help of a resistance band. Never thought I would be able to develop like this in my 60's!

Things are progressing. I can now do 3 sets of 5 ring dips and am working on muscle up negatives. Amazingly I can now attempt iron cross progressions with the help of a resistance band. Never thought I would be able to develop like this in my 60's!

As an ex competitive gymnast I can not tell you how impressed and proud I am of you, that is a tremendous achievement.

14st on the nose today. I've managed to lose one and a half stone since June 10, purely from portion control as I don't do any exercise other than what I do at work every day. I would like to but I just can't be arsed- by the time I'm home, showered and fed I just want to chill out.

I won't lie, it's been tough trying to stick with it, especially after a bad day at work and/or weekends, with the odd lapse like scoffing a whole bag of cashews along the way. The interesting part will be to see where I level out and how much nice stuff I can reintroduce, although that scares me a little bit as I have almost zero self control as it is, if I start with little bits it will soon go back to how it was.

First rule of gymnastics - thou shalt build God level core strength!

Where are you struggling/ point of failure?
I just need to do compression work more often (I.e.every day). I get my legs up but have problems trying to keep them straight. I am working on hamstring flexibility too.

14st on the nose today. I've managed to lose one and a half stone since June 10, purely from portion control as I don't do any exercise other than what I do at work every day. I would like to but I just can't be arsed- by the time I'm home, showered and fed I just want to chill out.

I won't lie, it's been tough trying to stick with it, especially after a bad day at work and/or weekends, with the odd lapse like scoffing a whole bag of cashews along the way. The interesting part will be to see where I level out and how much nice stuff I can reintroduce, although that scares me a little bit as I have almost zero self control as it is, if I start with little bits it will soon go back to how it was.
Really good effort and the only real solution long term. Easy to say, not at all easy to do. Well done. I'd say introduce the good stuff on a limited time basis, e.g. big dinner only on Saturday evening, or no beer in the week, etc. Works for me.

Really good effort and the only real solution long term. Easy to say, not at all easy to do. Well done. I'd say introduce the good stuff on a limited time basis, e.g. big dinner only on Saturday evening, or no beer in the week, etc. Works for me.

That’s been my strategy for maintaining weight, rewards as well. If I’ve been training properly I’m allowed treats, if not, forget it. I’ve about 4lbs I’d like to lose again when I go back to work, but I can live with where I am.

Absolutely, weight loss is about what's between your ears, not what's between your hips and your shoulders. Rewards keep the mind on track, without them everyone gives up eventually and 2 years on you are back to where you started.

I find that exercise is the same. Much as I love running, it’s a constant discourse between ‘what you doing you stupid ..? Time to stop’ and ‘you can do this you daft bugger keep going’

To @matt j, it’s really worth trying to do something. I know I’m an extreme case going from very fat bastard to running a half marathon in hopefully a half decent time, but it really helps, I can almost eat/drink what I like when I’m training like I am at the moment. I’m using up something like 5000 extra calories a week. That’s a useful amount of beer and pizza. When I’m back at work I’m planning to lever out the beer apart from weekends, keep the training going, and hopefully those three or four pounds will go.
I also find that no matter how knackered/stressed I am, it really helps me. I can go out and knock out 5km in under 30 minutes and the world feels a much better place in my mind anyway. The good thing for you is then that you see quicker results, the gratification is higher and the struggle is less. As you get to where you want to be it’s a great feeling. I do think though there’s a hint of body dysmorphia about the way I feel. I still feel like fat me sometimes. Despite having lost about 30% of my body mass, I sometimes feel like I’m still fat. My mental image of me versus photos is very different. This is one big battle with your brain you’re in now, good luck and keep up the good work.

advertisement

Back