advertisement

pfm Health Club

For me it’s all wrapped together, weight, relationship with food, exercise, mood.
For everyone.

I also now follow the 85% rule, six good days means if I’m not so good on the final one, I don’t feel guilty about it.
This kind of psychology works for me too, for me it works best if I turn it on its head - "I've been good all week, it's reward time now".

I did the 5/2 diet for about a year and a half when Michael Mosley first talked about it (before the book). I think it works best if you do it on two consecutive days.
I thought his advice was NOT 2 consecutive days to avoid going into "starvation mode" where the body shuts down to preserve fat reserves for the forthcoming famine.

will find on the following five days that your appetite is lower than it used to be, which keeps the weight loss in check. After a certain amount of time, your body seems to reach some sort of equilibrium where you reach an ideal weight and it stays there as long as you stay on the diet.
Any diet does this, sooner or later. Maybe at 8.5 st, but sooner or later.

It's a brilliant diet if you have the strict self-discipline it demands.
I don't think that it needs massive discipline. It's only 2 days pw. The rest of the time you can do what you like. Bit of cake? Sure.

At least once a month my best friend pops over and we sink 4 pints of real ale each plus rum to finish... I am not stopping that either.
Good, nor should you. You aren't a monk. Just balance it up by being especially well behaved the rest of that week, and make it a condition that you only invite him if you are on target. That way it's worth doing the boring stuff because "tomorrow/the day after/next week I can see my mate and we'll have a drink"

1) The Wife. I do most of the cooking/shopping, so when the missus goes shopping she fills the fridge with puddings and treats. She also buys crisps and biscuits, something that I never buy, but when they are staring at you... my resistance is low.
This is hard. If you can't handle it, can you get her to hide the stuff or buy only enough for her?
The main insight I have is that, 'going on a diet' is no good. A complete change of eating habits is what is required, plus exercise that is not a chore.
Absolutely.

Personally, I think the diet is unsustainable long term for most people.
I don't. It's just 2 days a week on minimal food. I have a set menu on the "2" days, this makes it easy. Menu is 1 weetabix, 2 eggs and salad, tin sardines and salad. Done. Easy to prepare, portable (I work away) and psychologically easy. I'm a mountaineer, I am used to "this is what is in the bag" situations. This is the same. That's what you have in the bag, so that's what you are eating.

Oh and I did have about a year going to the Gym. Lost a bit of weight, felt like superman until winter 2016 killed it off... Now I have sore knees which I hold said Gym fully responsible for!

I'd say either your training technique was off (the amount of 'seasoned' gym goers I know that still cannot squat properly or use the correct foot stance on leg machines is daft) or you had underlying issues ;)

Either way; stop blaming the gym haha :p

Hi stevec67

Big Tabs said:
At least once a month my best friend pops over and we sink 4 pints of real ale each plus rum to finish... I am not stopping that either.

"Good, nor should you. You aren't a monk. Just balance it up by being especially well behaved the rest of that week, and make it a condition that you only invite him if you are on target. That way it's worth doing the boring stuff because "tomorrow/the day after/next week I can see my mate and we'll have a drink"

Ha, I gave up targets before I set them. Not my style, M.O.
Life is too short to restrict access to friends of 40 years, anyhoo - I don't invite him, the bogger just turns up.

Absolutely, and I'm not suggesting for a minute that you should restrict access to him, just use it as a motivator if that worls for you. It works for me, if it doesn't for you then it won't work. There is no one size fits all, it's all about what works in your head. I have said this before, all this stuff has bugger-all to do with what's in your stomach and everything to do with what's in your head. It only ends up in your stomach if you want to put it there, and that's down to the 6" of fat between your ears.

Didn't know we had a diet club. I should join. The only thing stopping me growing huge is the running. Gotta keep the portion control in check, I'll be increasingly unable to burn off those excess cals....

Didn't know we had a diet club. I should join.
To be fair I think it only started yesterday. Anyone signing up since then will have done well to lose any weight just yet. So crack on, I don't think that there are many rules or barriers to membership.

I can ruin a weeks good behaviour in a single evening. Eight pints of real ale and a curry can easily lead to a surplus of 5000 Calories.

Fundamentally you need to know what youre putting in your mouth.

I can ruin a weeks good behaviour in a single evening. Eight pints of real ale and a curry can easily lead to a surplus of 5000 Calories.

Amen to that ;)

On the other hand, you can burn off 3000-odd of those Calories if you run a marathon. Which is a pretty full-on route to diet penance....

It can, but the funny thing is that your response to 5000 calories isn't always the same. I think you can afford to do the beer and curry every so often, maybe even once pw, if you are very disciplined the rest of the week. I think the body is able to burn off excess food as heat, certainly this fits with remarks that Ms. SC67 has made. Apparently after I have had a big meal and half a bottle of wine it's like cuddling a small furnace. I wouldn't know, I'm asleep by then. It does fit with the fact that I never feel the cold, and never did even when I was young and skinny.

Nothing wrong with a curry. It's the Rice, Naan and 15 pints of lager that do the damage.

Cut out the Rice and Naan. Keep the lager to 10 pints.

It would be more to do with what was coming out of my mouth.

Eight pints and I reckon I would boff. Infact I know from extensive research over many years, often double-blind (drunk)

Respec'

I was a pudgy kid, then got in shape by 18 and mostly stayed that way, thanks to regular exercise and sensible eating. But then you hit 40 and it's more difficult. 50 and it's too easy to get off track, especially with medications, a slower metabolism and less testosterone. But, and this is my firm opinion, it nearly always comes down to the relationship you have with food if you're obese.

If you watch the clock between meals, wolf your food and finish in record time, weigh everyday, rarely allow your stomach to growl (and feeding it ASAP if it does), and routinely eating again after dinner because, well ... it's been 4 hours! ... you undoubtedly have an addictive process working hand in hand with sustenance. No diet, and even exercise, addresses this issue, only the symptom: Becoming fat from it. You can switch a lush to light beer but he'll down a case of it before eventually going back to gin.

I don't invite him, the bogger just turns up.

Ah.. the delicate beauty of the Nottm dialect... :)

If I may add a few slight amendments. " Ahh dowunt invite 'im. the bogger jus' tonns up".

Might ey a pahnt wi yer in Boowul Wethies one day Miduck.

I am 58 and 6'1". My weight ballooned up to about 16st 12 thanks to hormone treatment for prostate cancer.

At a recent checkup I was told that I was pre-diabetic. I cannot have caffeine so I tended to refuel mid morning with a chocolate bar. They are out now replaced by fruit.

I have started the active 10 thing which is fairly easy to fit in to the day. I am allowed to work from home so I go for a brisk ''commute" around the block before and after work.

Though I am currently unable to follow that post op (don't ask, it was in a delicate area and is still very sore four weeks later).

I am down to about 16st so still some way to go. This club could help me keep going.

When I worked in that London, my weight fell to 10st. (I'm 5'10" BTW)

In my new job, I don't get to do a lot of exercise (stairs, walking etc) and as a result have sen my weight balloon to 13st 9 over 5 years despite the same (modest) diet. As I have got older and the metabolism has slowed down I can't just rely on less calories in - exercise is a key part of this and until I get my act together and do some I suspect I'm going to slowly get bigger.

Good luck to all who do shift the weight.

[edit]

Top tip. *Never* weigh yourself every day unless you are a professional boxer or jockey, it fluctuates too much. Always once a week, same time. (Cheat a bit, do it first thing in the morning after you've had a wee :))

Top tip. *Never* weigh yourself every day unless you are a professional boxer or jockey, it fluctuates too much. Always once a week, same time. (Cheat a bit, do it first thing in the morning after you've had a wee :))

Heh! that's not cheating. I've known people who'll nearly fast before getting on a scale or take laxatives the day before weighing and then not stepping on it until crapped out.
Unless people treat obesity for what it often is, an addiction, the weight isn't staying off. Some or most of it may come off, but not for long.

I try and stay off of the scales.

The missus and my pants will tell me if I am losing weight.

I know I am doing well if whilst naked I look down and I can see an old friend.

I was a pudgy kid, then got in shape by 18 and mostly stayed that way, thanks to regular exercise and sensible eating. But then you hit 40 and it's more difficult. 50 and it's too easy to get off track, especially with medications, a slower metabolism and less testosterone. But, and this is my firm opinion, it nearly always comes down to the relationship you have with food if you're obese.

If you watch the clock between meals, wolf your food and finish in record time, weigh everyday, rarely allow your stomach to growl (and feeding it ASAP if it does), and routinely eating again after dinner because, well ... it's been 4 hours! ... you undoubtedly have an addictive process working hand in hand with sustenance. No diet, and even exercise, addresses this issue, only the symptom: Becoming fat from it. You can switch a lush to light beer but he'll down a case of it before eventually going back to gin.

This is the truth, diets don't work. Unfortunately I have not found a way of dealing with the psychological issues in the 30 years I have been trying...

This is the truth, diets don't work. Unfortunately I have not found a way of dealing with the psychological issues in the 30 years I have been trying...

It usually takes a reason you can bite into. The first time I got thin my reason was to chase tail. I loved women and wanted them to love me! Well, to screw me, to be honest about it. And that kept it off well into my 30s. But then circumstances ... ugh. Anyway, reasons happen or they don't, I suppose. After 50, reasons seem to have a tougher time against the little naysayer guy in our heads whose ultimate argument seems to be "you could wake up dead. Why GAF?"

If I lost weight to chase tail my wife wouldn't be too happy! And she's a red-headed Glaswegian Karate instructor....

advertisement

Back