advertisement

pfm Health Club

Quick thanks for the positive replies. Well done to those who’ve been there already, and good luck to those looking to do anything similar. First weigh in tomorrow.

Age is also a key factor. Stick with your diet, don't expect instant results, it'll be 6 weeks before you 'feel' any significant change. You are what you eat!

When i was in my early 30s i went to 92 (ish) KGs booze and constant pub/club life etc... cycling took me down to 72kgs which was too thin.

Yes, I'm in the 5-2 gang too. I recently fell off the wagon and got back on, back to my first goal point now. How you get there is up to you, the battle is not with your stomach but with your head. The regime that you can accept is what will work for you.

I'd like to be 11 1/2 st, that's a reasonable goal. Currently 12. BMI chart says 11. I did get to that some 3-4 years ago but that was after a climbing holiday in Morocco where there was no beer, healthy eating and daily hard exercise. As soon as I came home it climbed aha and stabilised at 11.5. If I need to work that hard to sustain 11st, then I won't bother. Most people will find this, if you are not a pro athlete then there is no need to look like Mo Farah unless you want to and it will be a daily battle. Your body retains fat for a reason after all. Consequently we will all achieve a plateau that we are prepared to sustain.

Good thread. I'm 6'0" and decided to diet on the first May bank holiday. Step 1 - buy some scales! Step 2 - don't think you're gonna do it overnight. At 14 stone 7 I was too heavy for my height to feel good about it. At the same time I knew / know that it isn't as simple as diet for a few weeks and you'll get to where you want to be. And... I'm going to be easy on myself! Overall target is between 12 and a half and 13 stone. Figuring out how to maintain that once I get there is probably a challenge too. Don't want to over-diet. My starting point was:
1. Less sugar (on cereal, in drinks, go to the diet fizz etc)
2. Keep the weekend food as it is. Don't try to be superhuman!
3. More fruit, fewer crisps, biscuits etc
And, rather obviously:
4. Monitor it!
5. Working days - just eat less. Have half the amount you used too and fill the gaps with fruit,
Key point for number 4 is do it week by week, not day by day. Otherwise you can't do 2.
7th May 14:7
26th May 14:3
2nd June 14:2
9th June 14:1
16th June 13:13
30th June 13:11
7th July 13:10
14th July 13:9
20th July 13:8
4th August 13:7
17th August 13:6
25th August 13:4
last weekend - well, it was my birthday. If I'm at 13:4 on Saturday morning this week then I've done well.
It seems to get harder to shift it with the same mechanism of diet the longer that I go on, but I'll stick with it. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and less alcohol if you can. No need to cut it out completely... just take longer over each pint or glass of wine means a lower intake.

A few years ago, prior to having my hip replaced I was advised to lose some weight.
I cut out all alcohol (the real weight piler), went on a calorie control diet of 2500 a day, two meals a day, no cheese, no butter or fatty spreads, bread only permitted at breakfast, no fried foods, if I was peckish snacked on fruit and nuts. The weight fell off me and I lost 3 stone in just under 5 months, went down 5 inches off my waist BUT then it tapered and plateaued and it seemed too much like hard work for very little future gain. So at 6’2” and an officially obese 15 stone I remain. Golf twice a week does for exercise and strangely I never did get my taste for beer or drinking relatively large quantities back. G&T being my tipple of choice now.

However this thread has inspired me to give it another go, which will begin tomorrow (I have a rather nice red wine for tonight!)

Can we expect the O Ps avatar to change over time?
I expect at least a blue guppy by Christmas :)
Keep it up even when the weight loss slows down as it is to easy to get disheartened at that point

Re "start tomorrow because I have a nice bottle" this is reasonable and part of the s cheme. You have to find your way of managing this. If this means "I only get a nice Sunday lunch if I've been good all week" then so be it. I've done this successful ly in the past, I work away a lot. Thursday is "steak and a pint" night, but only if I have stayed on the wagon all week. If not, you 've blown it. This makes it easier for me to manage. If I want a pint on Wednesday, that's at the price of steak. Is it worth it? I decide. It also gets you away from endless drudgery, living on lentils and kale smoothie s or whatever. If you are only doing it as a penance, you will stop the first chance you get. If you are doing it because 4 days of prawn salad, grilled salmon and small chicken breast in tomato sauce means steak on Thursday, then you won't f eel hard done by.

Battled weight rather ineffectually for years. I was finally motivated about 2 years ago to do something serious about it when I saw a picture that was at complete odds with what I saw in the mirror. I started training (ahem in the loosest sense) for Parkrun. Staggered round my first one that May. Then a run in with the Black Dog sent it all to pot. I started again this February after some encouragement from the doctor, and after a few months after putting all the miles in I was perturbed to still be nearly 16 1/2 stone. I reduced dramatically what I was eating and drinking. Basically reviewed what I normally ate, and made it more sensible. Cereal in the morning, banana for a snack, sandwich and apple for lunch, dinner without lots of carbs. No beer or wine during the week, a big reduction at the weekend. I’m now officially overweight instead of obese! I’m coming in at around 13 1/2 stone. I’ve managed to almost maintain that despite an injury and summer holidays, and it’s starting to drop again now I’m back to training. For me it’s all wrapped together, weight, relationship with food, exercise, mood. I also now follow the 85% rule, six good days means if I’m not so good on the final one, I don’t feel guilty about it. Being able to buy XL or even L feels like an achievement. Being able to run a mile in 10 minutes, or 5k in just over 30 likewise. It’s hard though, and until you see it start to come off it can be quite difficult mentally. My other tip is to drink water if you feel hungry. Often that’s enough to stave it off for a while and avoid a snack!

Btw, don’t buy cheap scales.

I bought the medical analogue ones that are the same ones used in Gp practices but mine aren’t certified hence they were about £100 as opposed to £350 but they will be as aqurate just that the medical practice ones need to certified for obvious reasons.

The only issue I have with them is that they are in KGs but otherwise excellent if not a little big.

Tony

True about the scales. I use the Fitbit ones. They measure your fat content. I’ve gone from 37% lard to about 25%. That’s a satisfying measure to see drop!

I did the 5/2 diet for about a year and a half when Michael Mosley first talked about it (before the book). I think it works best if you do it on two consecutive days. One thing that he didn't properly address at the time is what sort of food is best when you're on those two days. Originally, he implied it didn't really matter as long as you stuck to the calorie limit and used some common sense. I suspect that if he could go back in time and reinvent the diet, he'd probably want to provide better advice about what to eat during those two days. If you cheat at all and don't stick to the strict calorie limit on the two days, it's likely you will gorge yourself on the other days, defeating the whole purpose of the diet. If you do stick to the calorie limit, and do it on two consecutive days, you will find on the following five days that your appetite is lower than it used to be, which keeps the weight loss in check. After a certain amount of time, your body seems to reach some sort of equilibrium where you reach an ideal weight and it stays there as long as you stay on the diet. It's a brilliant diet if you have the strict self-discipline it demands.

Nice.
I am in.
I am 5'10" (maybe a bit more? certainly no less) - Hovering around 14 st. for too long (since my life-changing accident back in 2008)
Hard exercise is out of the question due to various bits of me failing - knee (unable to replace so they say) wrists and hands do not bend properly (poor/painful when trying to grip anything) - I was a semi-pro skateboarder and I would not have a weight problem if I could still skate.
I do try and do at least an hour of exercise everyday in a pool (walking, half-swimming and wobbling my bits about with the glorious water holding my bulk) and have a 10min sweaty sauna after that. It is boring as hell and I hate having to go to a 'health club.' This small amount of exercise causes more pain and then requires a rest, 'legs up infront of the hifi.'

Diet-wise my wife is becoming/finding out she is lactose-intolerant so we have cut down on dairy related food. I refuse to give butter up as I like it too much and I was raised on Stork marg! so butter is king.
I try not to eat after 18-19:00 hrs, I try to cut down on booze. At least once a month my best friend pops over and we sink 4 pints of real ale each plus rum to finish... I am not stopping that either.
Good news is we eat fish as a main meal 2-3 times a week (sea bass/tuna)
'Tip of a spoon' sugar in coffee and none in any builders tea or Red Bush.
My main issues are:
1) The Wife. I do most of the cooking/shopping, so when the missus goes shopping she fills the fridge with puddings and treats. She also buys crisps and biscuits, something that I never buy, but when they are staring at you... my resistance is low.
2) I am unable to exercise to any kind of sweaty/breathless level.
3) Food. I like food and I like cooking. My dad was a good chef, my son is a chef. Food is high on my list of daily things to do.

I am trying to break cyclic patterns of ill behaviour related to food/eating but it is a daily struggle.

The main insight I have is that, 'going on a diet' is no good. A complete change of eating habits is what is required, plus exercise that is not a chore.

6ft 4; 21stone currently - competitive powerlifter/stone lifter and around lifter of heavy-ass shit... :D

I eat clean more or less (I do like a biscuit) ;) and my BMI is 'I'm on deaths door' so I'm proud of that... As we all know; it doesn't take muscle mass into consideration

So personally; I'm a fan of eat clean/healthily, with the odd bit of badness in there for the sanity, exercise is whatever way you find enjoyable and you'll be fine (unless you suffer already or have poor cholesterol etc); but there are ways around this too!

Great thread guys...count me in. I'm 5.11 and a half and 14stone 12 on average. On a bad week I tip 15 stone and that sends me into diet mode.
I have a cappuccino daily and otherwise tea or fruit juice. Don't do fizzy drinks or alcohol anyway. Meusli in the morning on weekdays and perhaps a cooked breakfast on a Saturday. Lunch usually crackers and cheese, or butty and crisps with fruit. Evening meal always something cooked (swmbo is at home and always does a meal) followed by yoghurt and more fruit. Then some chocolate watching TV...
Weight has been stable for some time, but would like the tum tum area a bit smaller. The grandkids love it though...

Oh and I did have about a year going to the Gym. Lost a bit of weight, felt like superman until winter 2016 killed it off... Now I have sore knees which I hold said Gym fully responsible for!

There are supposedly other benefits of the 5/2 diet besides weight loss (e.g. supposed reduced risk of certain types of cancers, improved cognitive function, etc.), but the evidence seems patchy. Personally, I think the diet is unsustainable long term for most people.

A word about 'plateau-ing'. I plateau'd at 12 1/4 stone despite low carb etc., as described above. I read around a bit. Then changed my exercise regime by swapping out some swimming for equivalent time ( including 15 min drive to and from baths) spent in quick walking. It worked and I started down towards 11 st again.

I've never thought a Gym worthwhile unless you need the thought of a wasted subscription as a motivator.

For weights, any number of inexpensive options available. I use York Chrome plated dumbell pair, up to 7.5 Kgs each. Cost about 15 quid from Argos some years ago. I've acquired a few extra 'plates' along the way which give the option of going to about 15 Kg per side, but there aren't many moves I can do with that weight. Nor is it necessary. I weight train for toning and weight loss, not to look like The Hulk. Doing your weights 'free' instead of using machines, also develops 'core' stength by default.

Swimming. I used to aim for a kilometre or sometimes a mile, but since I've never been able to exceed two lengths at a time, (ticker) I now tend to do 20 lengths as quick as poss and then get out.

Walking. A long walk for me these days is maybe 5 miles and is 50% exercise and 50% sightseeing/enjoyment. A 'power walk' is 15 mins uphill out of the village as far and as fast as I can go. Then turn around and walk home as fast as poss. I'm almost 70.

Scales. Really.. nothing wrong with the Weight Watchers scales. They clearly show loss,gain and trend. Only measure to 1/4 lb, but near enough, will read in Kgs, Lbs, or St/lb. Only caveat is that they need to be on a solid (ie not carpeted) floor. Clearly you will get most reliable results by consistent timing etc. I weigh myself naked, first thing in the morning, after my normal 'ablutions'.

175cm and 80kg (ish)... been weight training and gym 3-4 times per week for 25 years. tis all about the BMI!

BMI is a total joke if you do any kind of exercise... I'm classified as being overweight... I'm 6'1, 14 stone 12lbs, and a 34 inch waist... overweight? not a chance...

advertisement

Back