advertisement

PFM Health Club II

14st 0.75lb!

A bit of an outlier, 14st 3lb for most of the week., I had one of those days when I wee'd a lot yesterday.

Had to tighten my belt another notch though, so that's good.

Now 12 weeks since I broke my collarbone. Started light weight training- chins and dips with 30kg assist - so pulling and pushing about 50kg. The only exercise which caused me pain was leg raises hanging from the bar. Military press with 15kg also good. Just a matter of increasing intensity slowly and starting more skill based moves in the coming weeks. My rotator cuff muscles need more work.

The NHS physio has been great - visited the rehab gym in Abotts Langley last week and again in a couple of weeks.

Ok, nine months now since the break and I am back to where I was, if not better. Can do 3x8 false grip pull ups and 3x5 Archer press ups on the rings. Also working on my advanced tuck front and back levers and handstand.
Goal for this year is to get my full back lever and muscle up.

Since the 2 AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria) vaccines in Feb and Apr this year, I have been a shell of myself as far as exercise and suffering from extreme fatigue and muscular aches and pains go.
As I have said elsewhere, my Dr can offer no solution except going to an ME clinic at the other side of Edinburgh. Well, we all know how much they understand about ME and other fatigue syndromes, don't we?
Even though I do not believe I have had COVID, he did say, "well.....there is such a thing as long COVID....."

I was so desperate, I did lots of research myself and filled out an MHRA form for the first time ever. It would appear to me that unless you appear in the fatalities column, your condition does not matter to the powers that be.
An antidepressant firm whose product I have been prescribed for years, returned - I have to say - an exemplary reply, saying they were unaware of any interactions with covid vaccines. Some of what I was describing sounded like well-known side effects of the medication, they said.
Later, I read a paper by some academic in Zurich saying that my med was not a first choice anymore! This, I see now widely elsewhere, is the guidance given by the NHS in probably all regions of the UK. Further, the Swiss scientist said "the trade off between benefit and side effects was not favourable in the elderly". I am 76!

My GP said, when I raised this, that I was not made aware of the change, because "changing these medications is fraught with difficulty". Thanks! - How about letting me - the suffering patient - try, though?

So, I am 76, weigh about 62 kilos (little change for years - max 72 kilos in 2004) and for 8 months of 2021 have broken my minimum "steps" (Omron) record for those 8 months.
January 2022 looks a bit better, though, I did 4200 yesterday - the highest daily for a month.
In 2021 I have done only 21 days with 3000 steps or more.
In 2020 I did 43.
I have reduced the AD by tapering down 5% per month. This is my choice - DO NOT DO "THIS KIND OF THING" WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR GP.

Here's hoping for better health for us all.

So, how are we all?

I was called in for a blood test back in December, and then I had to pop in for the results. My cholesterol was the same as it had been for years, but as I’m 58 now, my age is a factor for heart disease etc. My total cholesterol was 6.4, and the LFL/HDL ratio was high.
In February they put me on Rosuvastatin, 5mg per day, and then tested me again last week. This week they called me with the results, and it’s now a total of 3.81, and the ratio is less than 4.0.
I think that’s quite impressive. Ok, I’ve all but stopped eating ice cream since the new year, but little else has changed.

My brother died after having a massive stroke two years ago, at the age of 53, so I’m doing exactly what I’m told to do by the doctors now. Because it really could happen to me.

Morning. Doing OK thanks. Fairly fit, weight within 3-4 kg of target, got a break from work now so after the hole it's healthy eating.
Your logic re getting fit is exactly mine last year. 10 kg overweight, waist over half my height, BP high, cholesterol high, age over 50. Now I could ignore the risk factors, this or that test is unreliable, I'm just big boned, or address it. I addressed it and it worked. Good luck. Get that bike out again.

Got down to 79kg last year then let it slip over Christmas and Jan/Feb back to 84. Started going to the gym a couple of weeks ago and tweaked the diet, first goal is 75kg then I'll see how I feel from there. Currently 82.

Managed a 5k run yesterday which - for someone who hates running and hadn't run further than the top of the stairs, plus hates exercise full stop - wasn't bad going.

I haven’t had a proper drink for as long as I can remember. I’ve cut down on my grub and I often cut out one meal during the day several times a week. Rarely eat junk food or takeouts and I worked fifty odd hours last week as I do most weeks. I’m still at 18-2 bollocko this morning :(

Fine here, though one of my kids had an op’ last Monday to take a tendon from the right knee to use as a ligament in the left knee. :(

I’m very suspicious of statins given ‘they’ seem to want almost everyone to be taking it. I was first prescribed a statin in 2009 when my cholesterol was in the 5’s and at some point my cholesterol dropped <4, so I stopped taking it (Rosuvastatin) because my decision is <4 is too low. At every cardiac/diabetes check (usually 3 to 4 months) I am offered a statin and I refuse. The nurse makes a note on my record. Whether right or wrong it’s my decision and my responsibility.

At my check last month my cholesterol was 6, I’m reasonably happy with that though it could be better and will be by doing more exercise. The info I believe to be most important is the ratio between good and bad cholesterol, not the overall figure, though obviously unless it is extremely high. My weight varies between 69-71kg.

Been struggling a bit, sciatica has bit me on the arse, and made exercise more difficult. Physio prescribed rest, stretching and strengthening, but it hasn’t made much difference, so now I’m with their help trying to manage it. It means slowing down, and building back up very gently. Still got the GNR pencilled in for September and have started a training plan for it. The time trial at the beginning was painful, could only manage last years easy Parkrun pace. Cholesterol must be ok, had fifty year old blood tests last year and wasn’t summoned back. Blood Pressure tends towards being a little high. Keep waiting for the doctor to start meddling with my medication. Need to lose about 4kg, being inactive has caused a little lardiness, currently checking in at 75kg, aiming for nearer 70kg.
I’ve got out the slim fit shirt I use to check progress…

Speaking of clothes, the thing I find odd when I lose weight is that I still have to wear the same stuff.

Whilst I will drop sizes in certain areas I won't in others, so I can comfortably drop a waist size in jeans/trousers but wont get the smaller ones over my legs, same goes for shirts. Even though I verge on a medium to large in some areas I still wear XLs for chest/back/shoulder clearance. I wouldn't even go near anything branded as slim fit or skinny :D

In all, losing weight is useless for me with regards wanting to get into smaller clothes.

My old man is the same, although he is a dwarf he still has to wear an XL top, looks like a kid wearing his Dad's suit jacket lol

Bumped into a guy I hadn't seen for a while, and his beer-belly was completely gone. When I asked him how he did it, he said he didn't eat after 5pm and skipped breakfast. I never thought I'd be able to do it myself, but have found it very easy. I've only been doing it for a week, but I've already lost 1kg.

Since getting down to 67.5 kg at the time of my last post (#250, 10.5 months ago) I am still at 67.5 kg having been down to 66.5 kg and up to 68 kg (just after Christmas).

My goal was/is 67 kg (and a 32" waist - less than half my height). I am pleased to still be thereabouts. Getting there cost me most of my wardrobe but pleasingly my bespoke suits from <mumble> years ago now fit again beautifully. But being retired they don't get deployed that often.

When I retired, as per the guy in @Fatmarley's post, I shifted eating habits. From a snatched cereal/milk breakfast before getting into the office, more calories at a quick office lunch, and more still at dinner; to a bigger breakfast and lunch and very little in the evening. I assume this approach isn't a universal truth but it worked for me - perhaps more because it was a change I made and sustained.

I found losing weight early on at 0.5 kg/week bad for skin tone and I looked rather gaunt. I looked better by changing to a 0.33 kg/week weight loss rate and persisting at that rate. I have also recovered more skin tone now my weight is remaining close to target, and I have reduced flab by increasing my levels of exercise. Not by that much and not in the gym, but by staying on my feet more and walking briskly to places where I might previously have used the car. Perhaps I should resume swimming, as I used to, for better upper body exercise.

The cancer still under control, seven years since my initial diagnosis. Not curable but not terminal either.

My weight has stabilised around 14st 7lbs, a bit higher than I would like but hey ho it's a lot less than I started.

I am fitter and stronger than I have been for years. Since joining the local cancer support groups I have regular exercise sessions each week; circuits, swimming, walking and table tennis.

My mental health has taken a bit of a battering over the last couple of years, but then whose hasn't? I've been struggling big time with insomnia and fatigue. Regular mindfulness sessions and more recently hypnotherapy have helped a lot. I no longer sleep during the afternoon and, when I wake up at night I get back to sleep much quicker than before. I'm feeling a lot more human and slowly getting back to my old self.

I managed to lose the lockdown weight and get back to the gym, but I have just had a huge epididymal cyst removed so feet up while recovering, it's more painful than I thought it would be, but on the bright side I suppose I weigh a bit less.

Pete

I'm fine thanks. I am 65 and take no meds. I only found out yesterday that prescriptions are free in the UK for over 60's!

I do have a bit of bicep soreness after overdoing the muscle up training a few weeks ago, but touch wood I don't seem to have any more serious issues.

Bumped into a guy I hadn't seen for a while, and his beer-belly was completely gone. When I asked him how he did it, he said he didn't eat after 5pm and skipped breakfast. I never thought I'd be able to do it myself, but have found it very easy. I've only been doing it for a week, but I've already lost 1kg.
Shit, what does he do in the evenings!!

On the subject of surgery, anyone know where I could go to get '2 stone of ugly fat' removed! I got down to about 78kg circa three years ago, but I'm now almost back to where I started at 84.5kg and the last 2kg has happened in the last 2 months. I was 86kg about 5 years ago. It's boredom snacking after tea that does me...

advertisement

Back