Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

PFM DIY Help Exchange

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Jo Sharp, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Herr Katze

Hi..I am in Biggleswade in Bedfordshire.

I will need help installing Avondale NCC220 modules into a Naim NAP140 power amp.

Anyone on here be of assistance? I would be very grateful....my last foray into hifi modification ended up with black smoke and a dead amplifier.

2. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Nye, you might have more luck with people viewing and finding a helpful Fishie, if you start a new thread in the DIY Room.

3. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Herr Katze

Thanks Stuart...I will do that tomorrow.

4. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

What a shame most people here seem to be in middle/north of England (or abroad). Is there no-one around mid, west or SW Wales?

5. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

That’s impressive
    Does your avatar name indicate you might be somewhere in Wales?

6. TalYWaun

TalYWaun pfm Member

Thank you and yes.

7. Maxbertola

Maxbertola pfm Member

I am no technician, my best effort at electronic DIY has been dual-railing and recapping a couple of SNAPs, but the thread is a very good and friendly idea, so here I am from Northern Italy.

8. IWC Doppel

IWC Doppel pfm Member

I am in Bath, have a decent soldering iron, hot air gun, heat shrink etc. Im often doing something every other weekend, be that making cables, swapping out a few caps or more tricky stuff like SMD work but, not that often, I am usually more careful assembly work than design etc

9. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

@IWC Doppel - well, I didn't know that, after all these years; so am I. There are a few others in nr. locale, also.

10. IWC Doppel

IWC Doppel pfm Member

Super ! I am in the town centre, perhaps a coffee in town and a chance to compare systems !!!

My 2 channel is currently 2 of the 8 channels in my home cinema but its still respectable not withstanding the FL, FR are too far apart (works fine with film) My last project was a little scary removing three SMD 5mmx3mm clocks and wiring in three ultra low noise clocks to my £5k Lumagen video processor, very pleased with the results after a scary moment or two

11. DrBallMD

DrBallMD pfm Member

Thought I'd ask here as I won't be going back to London for a few months at least.

Dropped off a 80's Planar 3 to a friend as a present in Walthomstow all working fine yesterday and had given it a look over and replaced belt/bearing.

After a few hours of working wonderfully he switched it off and then came back 30 mins later and its DOA.
    Video called him and got him to swap plug fuse and check connections. Nothing.
    Assuming it is resistor or something and hopefully not motor.
    Any chance of someone in the area to pop over and sort him out? More than happy to hand over some beer money and a heartfelt thankyou if it's possible.

Many thanks for reading this far...

Sam

12. cupples

cupples pfm Member

I'm in Northern Ireland, a bit north of Belfast, and although no expert, can fiddle about with turntables, replace components on amps and speakers, repair cables, for fun.