advertisement

PFM DIY Help Exchange

You have a nice set up there Glenn. I didn't realise there was another ardent bodger so close. I'm in Great Harwood.

Fabricating a custom Printed circuit board is not always an option for hobby electronic enthusiasts. Either it is because of the fabrication price or the over kill setup for a simple need. The PCB designing is time consuming compared to the DIY PCB board.

Can anyone with an oscilloscope help me calibrate a diy "Nigel Speed Controler" for a Garrard/Lenco.
PR6 8BA
Best Regards

I am based in Blandford Forum, Dorset at the moment but I will moving to Maidstone, Kent during 2018.

In the garage I have a pillar stand drill and a guillotine, folder, bending machine.
In the workshop I have a bench power supply, DMM's (one with USB output), Fluke 4 channel scope, frequency generators, Peak component analyser, Peak LCR meter, soldering station, etc.

I can make basic PCB's (using iron-on transfer method).

I can assist with most things (would be nice to actually meet someone else who has this hobby).

Happy to help with cables/Tonearm cable repairs/alterations

Been making my own for some time and offer a couple of my own creations . Repaired a few cables for forum members on AoS.

Possibly useful......metalwork lathe incl. making round things, thread cutting, tapers & light milling jobs with steels, aluminium, brass, nylon etc(no wood, proper messy!!). Pillar drill, bright nickel plating, ultrasonic cleaning. Plus various mechanical things, ooh and a soldering iron. Work for Rolls Royce aero engines and did my apprenticeship there so know a bit about precision and such, might be able to offer something:)
Gloucestershire and Derby.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what help could be as I'm not that handy with my hands! :D
I do need help fixing a tuner though so I'll head over the the DIY section to seek fishie help....

Hi looking for someone to upgrade all caps resistors and wiring on a set of kef reference 4’s in Wales Uk
Anyone know anyone that could do that
Cheers

If thetes lytics in the xo, replace those. Replacing film caps with new is pointless and counterproductive unless you match the esr of new to old caps. Swapping them for new film caps without matching esr is akin to throwing a handful of sub 1 ohm resistors into the xo at random, which will change the sound, somewhat randomly.

I have the software and can create schematics and layouts in Atium and OrCAD. Before I retired last year I was one of the R&D Engineers for iLight and Zero88. One of my jobs was assembling the prototypes and I have a selection of soldering irons and can work down to 0402 (and 0201 at a push).
Below is a replacement for the PSU board of my Pioneer SA-9800 which I had to repair and I was concerned that it wouldn’t last so wanted a backup. Two years later the original is still working fine.
When it died I was already to scrap it and buy something new. But I liked that amp, so on a whim had a look to see if there were any second hand ones available. When I saw how much people were prepared to pay for even dead ones I decided that if it could be fixed it should be.

49770838377_d0f9c9c63c_b.jpg

anyone near Livingston prepared to check out a potential mains earthing issue ?

thinking someone who dabbles in hifi will know exactly what needs checked rather than ring up a local sparky and charge me to confirm what my £13 socket has already told me

Anyone requiring a Reel 2 Reel service, repair or recalibration on the Revox B77 / PR99, Studer A810, Tascam BR-20 or Technichs RS-1500 in the North East of England
Alan

advertisement

Back