advertisement

pfm Health Club

From my layman's P.O.V. and from memories of my 1965 O level Chem. and Biol. Starch is a polysaccharide composed of chains of glucose. , which begins to be broken down in the mouth via the action of.. IIRC amylase. and into glucose.
Table sugar or sucrose is a Disaccharide (C12 H22 O11) composed of combined (i.e. not just mixed) Glucose ( C6 H12 O6) and Fructose.. which is also C6 H12 O6, but arranged differently. Not quite sure how the two combine to give the H22 O11 bit, as to paraphrase the 'Investment Banker' in the Monty Python sketch.. " Seems to me I'm a H20 down on the whole deal..." But 'Hey Ho!!

And yes, it does seem that Fructose is dealt with by the liver and stored as Glycogen an energy store largely used by the Central Nervous System. I.E. At normal levels it is a normal component of metabolism.

But the hysteria over sugar(s).. mostly originating in the US 'folk medicine/conspiracy theory' camp is just that. hysteria. I've even read one loony describing Sucrose as 'this disgusting artificial sweetener', when it is produced naturally in plants.

Keep consumption sensible and be aware of 'hidden' sugars. For e.g., I was once told that Mac D's put a lot of sugar into their burger buns to make them brown quickly.If that's true the answer is simple. Don't live on MacD's burgers.

As for my own progress. Pretty static at present. This not helped by inactivity due to developing a massive and mind blowingly painful dental abscess a couple of days ago. Mercifully now drained and much less painful. However.. I'm on Metronidazole for 5 days which means I need to eat more frequently to prevent stomach issues from the drug. OTOH, absolutely no alcohol for the five days and two days after, which should help with weight loss. This will probably be my longest period without any booze at all for decades. No bad thing I suppose.... :(

You are right, glucose C6H12O6 links to fructose C6H12O6 via a glycosidic linkage. It looks like an ester, in that it goes C-O-C and sheds an H2O. It's not an ester though, for reasons that escape me. I'm sure I knew once. No =O on one carbon is probably part of it. Anyway, that's why a disacc. is C12 H22 O11. Add back an H2O and you can get it back to mono's at C6H12O6.

The hysteria and untruths about sugars are rather tiresome. Sure, eat too much of it and it's not great, but it's a bloody food like any other. Sucrose is in any number of natural products, the reason you don't eat harmful levels in natural products is that nobody could eat 1kg of (say) grapes or raspberries without being sick. 2 pints of Coke though, that's easy.

135kg

Mince pies still settling down then.

Onwards...

133.9kg, down 1.1kg this week and 6.9kg from the start. Still above pre-Christmas low of 132.1kg.

Clearly at my nominal 0.5kg losses per week there will be anomalies. I considered changing to monthly posting, but I did make a commitment in the OP (to myself as much as anyone!), and I think it is helping to keep me focused, especially when I don’t show progress, so you’ll have to put up with weekly thread bumps!

Anyway, now back to 5:2, so all good.

Whaley, 1 kg a week is good progress. It's post Christmas, you've enjoyed the festive season, that's what it's for, and now you are back on the horse. You're back on the 5.2, while ever you can sustain this it works. For my part, I'm not restricting calories, I'm working away and just not mentally prepared to make it work at the moment. I'm eating healthy food instead, staying out of the hotel bar and avoiding the worst of the bar food. I'm exercising, managed 3 x 5k run after work this week, all at "fat lad at the back" pace. About 35 minutes, maybe 40, not great.

1kg a week is above average. Excluding December I reckon I manage around 0.5kg a week. But that’s fine as long as it continues!

I’ll get the exercise going when I can - some logistical issues at the moment as the house is on the market. In the meanwhile walk/train to work will have to suffice. Very well done maintains a regime while working away.

managed 3 x 5k run after work this week, all at "fat lad at the back" pace. About 35 minutes, maybe 40, not great.

Good work. Pace is the very least important statistic in that sentence!

Seriously, miles clocked at any speed above walking is the most important thing, and is the best foundation for adding a pace later on.

133.9kg, down 1.1kg this week and 6.9kg from the start. Still above pre-Christmas low of 132.1kg.

Clearly at my nominal 0.5kg losses per week there will be anomalies. I considered changing to monthly posting, but I did make a commitment in the OP (to myself as much as anyone!), and I think it is helping to keep me focused, especially when I don’t show progress, so you’ll have to put up with weekly thread bumps!

Brilliant, that’s two and a half pounds in real money!! 6.9kg is just over a stone. Sounds even better that way I think! I lost most of mine at about a pound a week, that’s what you’re doing. That’s not nominal, that’s ideal. Some weeks it’ll be a bit more, sometimes less. It’ll depend upon hydration a lot as well. I weigh daily and use the weekly average, how are you doing it?

Consistently below 14St again... :)

Of course I'll be hitting the booze from Tuesday at the latest when I finish this course of the accursed Metronidazole. ..but then again I'll be back to my exercise regime and diet.. which are temporarily suspended. So, I suppose it's looking OK.

Or summat.

2.5 lb off this week on course for pre Christmas weight by end of January.

Fortunately I am now back to pre xmas obesity weight of 16st.

As discussed in the obesity thread, cutting down on portions, big time. This is difficult as I am re-fitting my workshop and it is bloody well freezing in there, never had so many slashes in one day. Although the first week was not easy, now my stomach has shrunk a bit it is becoming easier.

Bloss

Brilliant, that’s two and a half pounds in real money!! 6.9kg is just over a stone. Sounds even better that way I think! I lost most of mine at about a pound a week, that’s what you’re doing. That’s not nominal, that’s ideal. Some weeks it’ll be a bit more, sometimes less. It’ll depend upon hydration a lot as well. I weigh daily and use the weekly average, how are you doing it?

To keep it simple here I just post the Saturday morning weight. “2” days are Monday/Wednesday so Saturday is reasonably far from fasting, and it’s easy to remember to do it when not getting set for work.

15st 1lb again, oh well.

The Toblerone has gone too, one piece a day plus some help from miss seagull. The challenge now is to keep off the chocolate until Christmas.

I've shaken off the cough/cold (Mrs S still sounds like a sea lion) so back up to speed on the exercise.

134kg. Only managed a 6:1 this week. No excuses, so onward.

advertisement

Back