advertisement

pfm Health Club

Whaleblue

Southbound
I was (am) very hesitant about posting this thread, and hope it is useful to others in the pfm community who could do with shifting a few pounds.

In my case it’s more than a few.

However, I have recently finally got my head in the right place, and I’m doing the 5:2 thing*. I say thing, rather than diet, as it’s a “for life” thing. My doctor is behind this, having recommended it to me when I saw him a few weeks ago.

*As long as you are doing something sensible (consult your doctor if unsure) there are definitely different ways to get healthier that may suit each of us, so if this thread is of interest to you, it’s not important which thing you’ve adopted.

So...

I’m going to commit to posting my weight on this thread each week. Gulp.

I’m not looking for anything other than a hope that others in my (chunky) position might follow suit, or have already begun their own journey and find it helpful to post their own thoughts and progress.

My cholesterol is 7.4. I don't particularly have a weight concern though like a lot of folk could probably loose a few. But as age creeps up on me that cholesterol number is a concern.

My cholesterol is 7.4. I don't particularly have a weight concern though like a lot of folk could probably loose a few. But as age creeps up on me that cholesterol number is a concern.

Feel free to post your “diet” progress in cholesterol terms, if you would like.

doesn't matter where you start from, it is the fact that you have started that counts

More power to your elbow
Jay

I am 6’3 and was 23.5st a few months ago. I’m just over 20 now and intend losing another four stone. I am sticking to 2000 Cals a day with the occasional boozy do.
I find it relatively easy to lose about 2lb per week. At 16 stone would still technically be overweight, but as A definite mesomorph it’s actually pretty skinny for me. Good luck with the plan whale!

Good luck. Keep the eating healthy. Find an exercise activity you enjoy and can do for many a year to come. Walking, running, cycling etc. They all help to keep the metabolism high and remind you why you want to stay fit.

Good luck WB. 5:2 is a good regime, I lost half a stone without noticing, and it’s good psychology if you separate the days because on the fasting day you can ‘promise’ yourself a good breakfast the following day, but sleep resets the appetite so you don’t actually feel any hungrier than normal the next morning, in my experience.

I’m currently on a low carb diet, have virtually cut out bread and pasta, especially midweek (small treats at weekends) and cut down on beer. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on a very low carb ‘cold turkey’ and have continued to lose on a more relaxed regime. Currently lost 12 lbs, down from a slightly chunky 12st 10lbs (I’m 5’7”) to a much more comfortable 11st 11lbs, give or take. Two belt notches tighter so far and feeling very pleased. Aiming for 11st 7 by 21st Sept, start of our holidays.

Well done op.

I’m on the 5-2 diet permanently and have been for about four years now, both me and the wife btw.

Monday’s and Thursdays are our fast days but we’re not too rigid these days but we still like to keep to the diet sort of so we do.

I went from 85kg down to 67kg and I'm now 70kg. The weight loss took about two years or about half a pound a week.

I’m 5’ 8” and just turned 59.

My wife lost a similar amount of weight.

We intend to keep to the diet for the rest of our lives however I drink too much wine and so does my wife so we’re working on reducing our alcohol intake.

Tony

Good thread. I'm 6'0" and decided to diet on the first May bank holiday. Step 1 - buy some scales! Step 2 - don't think you're gonna do it overnight. At 14 stone 7 I was too heavy for my height to feel good about it. At the same time I knew / know that it isn't as simple as diet for a few weeks and you'll get to where you want to be. And... I'm going to be easy on myself! Overall target is between 12 and a half and 13 stone. Figuring out how to maintain that once I get there is probably a challenge too. Don't want to over-diet. My starting point was:
1. Less sugar (on cereal, in drinks, go to the diet fizz etc)
2. Keep the weekend food as it is. Don't try to be superhuman!
3. More fruit, fewer crisps, biscuits etc
And, rather obviously:
4. Monitor it!
5. Working days - just eat less. Have half the amount you used too and fill the gaps with fruit,
Key point for number 4 is do it week by week, not day by day. Otherwise you can't do 2.
7th May 14:7
26th May 14:3
2nd June 14:2
9th June 14:1
16th June 13:13
30th June 13:11
7th July 13:10
14th July 13:9
20th July 13:8
4th August 13:7
17th August 13:6
25th August 13:4
last weekend - well, it was my birthday. If I'm at 13:4 on Saturday morning this week then I've done well.
It seems to get harder to shift it with the same mechanism of diet the longer that I go on, but I'll stick with it. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and less alcohol if you can. No need to cut it out completely... just take longer over each pint or glass of wine means a lower intake.

It seems to get harder to shift it with the same mechanism of diet the longer that I go on, but I'll stick with it. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and less alcohol if you can. No need to cut it out completely... just take longer over each pint or glass of wine means a lower intake.
I agree I found it harder to shift after a while, and switching to very low carb diet for a couple of weeks had some remarkable results.

I also cut sugar from my coffee, and cut down on alcohol generally, but still enjoy a beer or two or a couple of glasses of wine a day at weekends. So far, so good.

wyjsar, I would add to your point 4 - don't worry about it.

For all sorts of reasons and rhythms, there will be quite some fluctuation from day-to-day, to enjoying a dinner out with friends (- and you still really should enjoy such things without adding weird inhibitive stresses to yourself)

tl;dr: watch the trend, worry not for the number of the day/week :)

Good luck to all.

I've recounted a number of times how I went from 14St+ to 11St between May and Sept. a few years ago.
Simple diet:
-Minimise but don't totally eliminate Pasta, Rice, Bread, Spuds. A small portion of any ( couple of dessertspoons rice, one egg sized spud, 3-4 chips) will help you to feel full without consuming a mountain of it.
-Keep fat intake to 50gms or below.. daily average.
-Eat as much protein and non starchy veg as you like.

Relax it a bit at weekends. Don't pass up invites for odd meals out.

Exercise. Obviously use common sense. Running is out if you are very big, very unfit, etc. I'm constantly amazed at the number of clearly unfit, red faced and overweight people I see out running. It's a recipe for disaster IMHO. I have cardiac issues and am a bit slowed by Beta Blockers etc. I also have knackered knee joints. But I can still benefit a lot from swimming, walking and moderate weights. Weights in particular contribute because toned muscles burn more calories. There is no need to join a gym.

Weight Watchers Glass Electronic Scale is accurate and cheap. Got mine from Wilko's for about 15 quid.

Confession. I'm currently just over 14st, but have recently started back on the weights and the walking. Swimming and diet to 'kick in' .. err.. soon... I plan on being a bronzed Adonis in time for Cancun next March. :)

First off congratulations on "coming out", it isn't easy. I did it on here a couple of years back but I already had some success to report so doing it at the beginning is very brave.

I was at 125kg (276lb or 19.7 stone) back in late 2015 (I thought it was 266lb but my old scales were under reading by 10lb !)

I have done the very low carb thing a few years back and whilst initially successful at losing weight I was unable to maintain it. For me it was more effective to cut out the snacks and reduce meal sizes. I always ate a pretty balanced diet, just too much of it. I also ramped up the activity by cycling and gym cardio stuff and after a year or so started running which I still do. I got down to around 195lb earlier this year (88kg or just under 14 stone) which I have not been since I was 19. I have put on 10lb since then after a lot of work travel and a lovely indulgent holiday period but am back on track cutting out the snacks that had crept back a little.

The main point is it is a lifestyle change and I can manage my weight and intake at will. How you do it is irrelevant IMO, whether 5:2, low Carb, low fat, Paleo or any other method. If you like it and can keep it going, it has more chance of staying with you.

Good luck and keep weighing yourself and be honest with yourself as well.

advertisement

Back