advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations (Final)

Idles - Joy As An Act Of Resistance
Lily Allen - No Shame
Parcels - Parcels
Sunflower Bean - Twenty Two In Blue
Blossoms - Cool Like You

Beatles- White Album (Esher Demos)
Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up (Original Memphis Recordings)
Bruce Springsteen- Springsteen on Broadway

"Does your granny always tell you that the old songs are the best."

Last edited:
+1 for Primal Scream The Original Memphis Recordings
Not much else really floated my boat this year but then I'm usually a year or two behind ... like the Scream ;)

Looks like “Double Negative” is the one to try.
Personally, I think you have to have been following Low for a while to really get Double Negative, and put it in the context of their development over the years. As a standalone thing to someone who is new to Low I imagine it's pretty damn inaccessible.

Difficult to choose three, but at the moment it would be:

Father John Misty - God's Favourite Customer
ExRe - ExRe
GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star

DOH! Put this in t'other thread earlier

Kinnell, only three?

Right, sticking a virtual pin in the albums that have got a lot of plays round our gaff:

Confidence Man - Confident Music For Confident People
Jon Hassell - Listening To Pictures (Pentimento Volume 1)
Nakhane - You Will Not Die

But it could have been any of these:

GoGo Penguin - Humdrum Star
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Franz Ferdinand - Always Ascending
Django Django - Marble Skies (and the accompanying Wrongtom dubs)
Gabe Gurnsey - Physical
David Byrne - American Utopia (he definitely won gig of the year though - twice)
The Necks - Body
Leon Vynehall - Nothing Is Still
DJ Koze - Knock Knock
Poppy Ackroyd - Resolve
Immersion - Sleepless
Erland Cooper - Solan Goose
Haiku Salut - There Is No Elsewhere
Portico Quartet - Untitled (AITAOA#2)
Trevor Jackson - System
John Grant - Love Is Magic
Creepshow - Mr Dynamite

Paul Weller - New Meanings
It deserves at least my vote!

It's really grown on me, I didn't like it very much to begin with but Mrs BB played it in the car on a couple of long journeys and I started to get into it. I've played it once or twice a week since.

Cheers BB

Personally, I think you have to have been following Low for a while to really get Double Negative, and put it in the context of their development over the years. As a standalone thing to someone who is new to Low I imagine it's pretty damn inaccessible.

I have to completely disagree with you there. Low have been one of those bands which have just passed me by. I heard a couple of tracks many years ago and they just weren't for me.

A couple of weeks ago, after seeing it pop up on folks 'Best of the year' lists I decided to give it a listen on YouTube. I listened to 'Always trying to work it out' first and it blew me away. I listened to the rest of the album and loved it straight away.

I've mentioned this album on other forums and a few life long fans of Low have told me they are really struggling with it.

It has been mentioned on this thread about it been like a soundtrack to an Art installation and I get that. I wonder if me listening to the album with visuals has altered my impression of the album?

It just so happens it arrived today on vinyl. I've played it a few times already and it's magical...and thankfully the presses is excellent.

Anyone not getting it. Give it time...or watch a few tracks on YouTube.

0iUwEnO.jpg

Probably my favorite of the year.

Cheers BB

Anthem of the Peaceful Army - Greta van Fleet (love the 70s hard rock - despite which it sounds totally original)
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile (my first new Jazz album for decades - if this is jazz - just loving that tuba bass! and OMG the drumming)
Everything Everything - Fever Dream (there is so much going on sonically in every song)

But honourable mentions to nearly-on-the-list Sunflower Bean's TwentyTwo Blue which I only heard three days ago; to Deafheaven's Ordinary Corrupt Human Love - great post-rock despite the metalhead screaming/growling which thankfully is held back in the mix; and very interested by the majestic synth-pop grandiosity of Lets Eat Grandma's I'm All Ears, though it does seem to have some weak moments.

Regarding Low... my local vinyl emporium (the estimable Assai Records on Grindlay Street, Edinburgh) recommended me their previous album Ones & Sixes a few months ago... and its nice but dull, so won't be in a hurry to explore their latest offering which by all accounts is even more subdued.

advertisement

Back