advertisement

Petition against motorcycle parking charges in Hackney

Possibly a bit of a niche interest but I hope members don't mind me posting this here.

Hackney are planning to remove free parking bays for motorcycles and replace them with £6/hour parking bays with a maximum stay time of four hours.

The council are claiming this is because motorcycles have similar emissions to cars - though the charges will also apply to electric motorbikes and scooters.

I guess we'll start to see the same thing in other boroughs and cities.

More: https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/20...ns-parking-charges-hackney-transport-poverty/

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/stop-plans...oter-parking-charges-in-hackney-savehackneymc

Capitalist bastards!:mad::mad:

It was of course always free to park a bike as the pay and display sticker could so easily be ripped off/blow off in wind etc but might have guessed as soon as the tech could get around it they wouldn't leave it alone...
The whole "nothing can happen or exist without a profit being made" ethos boils my piss big style!

Banning SUV's altogether would be more like it:D

Good thing by the council, every polluting vehicle should be reemed for parking.....

My recently acquired non SUV has the same engine and emissions as a very popular SUV. You are your own worse enemy on here:)

What makes you think emissions is my main concern? It's the twunts who drive SUV's that I have the biggest problem with:rolleyes: Electric ones should be charged double in sanctimonious tax!

My motorbike only does about 30-35mpg at the 100mph I used to cruise at on the motorway:D

If a car has to pay to park so should a motorcycle.

They have been putting up notices to say it will be happening over SE13 lately too.

Keeps everything fair. Hate the motorist, so may as well hate the motorcyclist as well.

I dont like the BS justifications though, just lies really, they did the same with the LTN's, especially in Hackney and SE12/13, the two worst affected areas of London with these.

My favourite was '50% less traffic during the period of 20xx' shows it works.

(xx=Covid lockdown)

If everyone with a car rode a motorbike instead of a car, traffic jams would reduce hugely, reducing the additional pollution made by cars in traffic jams.

Motorbikes use far less resource to make.

Motorbikes have far less oil in their engines.

125 4 stoke bikes are doing over 100mpg, and small bikes make up most of the market. Wtf are they on about.

Electric motorbikes are getting popular.

The list goes on ffs.

I hate anti-bikers. Motorbikes are far cleaner than cars, even if the big ones use the similar levels of fuel.

Bikes should be encouraged, not seen as similar to cars.

Signed.

A lot of modern bikes do 40 mpg for some years now so its a reasonable argument.

It would be if there were exceptions for electric vehicles.

For a while I was working in a Hackney venue and would finish after the last train. So my choice to get home would be 30 mins by moped and get home for 1:30am or two night buses and a long walk, get home after 3am. Regardless of the cost If I can't park for more than four hours I expect I just won't take on any more work there.

There's also the point that my current commute through South London often consists of me filtering past miles of stationary cars stuck in traffic with their engines idling...

There's also the point that my current commute through South London often consists of me filtering past miles of stationary cars stuck in traffic with their engines idling...

Due to the LTN's. It was never that bad before they became.

The policies seem to be 'create congestion so we can make money off the congestion'

52193211227_972d437e3b_c.jpg

my bike:):p

Interesting to see how this plays out, wasn’t aware free parking for bikes was a thing.

This is the first time I've heard of a charge for bike parking! Free to go through Tyne tunnel for bikes as well plus no doubt many other such tolls. Causes queues as bikers wearing gauntlets etc try to find the change!

It was only a matter of time, but £6 is somewhat steep IMO. How is the rate for a car ?

It varies. Around 25-50p for ten minutes on average, more at the hospital, when on meters - so for anyone visiting the borough thats not a resident.

Residents charges are

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwWHodePzTkcMJLzM29OvrKpf_9ecEij/view

Residents can buy day/week guest passes, but are limited to how many you can buy over a year and cost around £21 for a book of 'vouchers' which gives you 5 day passes.

advertisement

Back