advertisement

Peter Oborne

simeon

No fixed engagements
Even as a guardianista I have always had a lot of time for the man. Respect. I thought the Private Eye stories about the Torygraph were exaggerated, but perhaps not.

Perhaps the Torygraph will eventually fold. Its journalism has become more and more like undiluted propaganda.

It's great that Peter Oborne has resigned, and shows that he has some principles, but the way he slavishly supported IDS and his welfare policies in his columns was disgusting.

Jack

The more important measure appeared to be the number of online visits. On 22 September Telegraph online ran a story about a woman with three breasts. One despairing executive told me that it was known this was false even before the story was published.
-Oborne.

The HuffGuardigraph used to be a proper newspaper, properly sized. Its coverage of the expenses scandal (2009) was the final major act of integrity, and it lived on this for several years. Since then, the slide has been gradual, but consistent. Clearly the current ownership, and recent managerial changes, have had a negative effect.

It now seeks only to appease, never to proclaim. If even Oborne (a bit of a waffler, but basically OK at heart) has left, the paper's angle of downward trajectory has steepened sharply. They have hardly any decent writers left, although Charles Moore can sometimes do it when he stops preening.

Shame, really.

The collapse of editorial/journalistic standards at The Telegraph since the Barclay Bros' bought it is a real tragedy imo.
It used to be an excellent source of unbiased news.

It doesn't matter what ones politics are, the decline of the Telegraph is something to be deplored and mourned.

I fail to see any other than the most right wing and intellectually bereft having much interest in the rag me self... The Daily Mail for those who have added two syllables together and maybe got just beyond U-KIP....

IMHO, you either used to read all of the rags, or none.

I quickly defaulted to the 'none' and was pretty well served by the Beeb.

Not sure where, if anywhere, the Truth resides now.

Mull

IMHO, you either used to read all of the rags, or none.

I quickly defaulted to the 'none' and was pretty well served by the Beeb.

Not sure where, if anywhere, the Truth resides now.

Mull

I've certainly found it most interesting to compare the news on BBC and SKY with that on Al Jazeera and Russia Today.... Many a time I've found genuine and important news about things going on in my own country which weren't even reported by the usual news outlets....

I've certainly found it most interesting to compare the news on BBC and SKY with that on Al Jazeera and Russia Today.... Many a time I've found genuine and important news about things going on in my own country which weren't even reported by the usual news outlets....

Which simply proves that 'The Truth' is a function of the political/economic alignment of the media organisation doing the 'truthing'.

It's the same for me. Every day the BBC and SKY News are running crap, right-wing, pieces leading up to the election.

I don't want to see UK politicians lying to me non-stop for the next 90 days. Al Jazeera and Russia Today let me know what is going on in the world, with their own slant.

One of the least biased broadcasters seems to be the Al Jazeera English one.

Jack

Indeed chaps. I recall that last year there was a series of very large demonstrations in several UK towns and cities (which, to my shame I can't remember what they were demonstrating about but they were certainly of the pro Left type!), these demos were big enough for town centres to be shut to traffic and had maybe 50,000 plus people involved.
I only found out that they had happened at all fro Russia Today! RT had filmed coverage of it etc. It wasn't reported by the BBC!

Al Jazeera English is indeed an excellent news channel. It does have to said that there is some pro Arab bias in Middle East news but all their other news is about as good as it gets and their documentaries are wonderful!

There are actually people out there who refer to themselves as 'guardianistas'? I always though this was some kind of internet joke.

advertisement

Back