1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Gabriel 'So' article

Discussion in 'music' started by andyoz, Jul 17, 2019.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

2. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Thanks

Good read about on of my favorite albums

3. alan967tiger

alan967tiger pfm Member

A very interesting read, thanks.

4. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Amazing amount of technical work went into it. Finding out that the two 16 channel Studer A80 tapes machines weren't perfectly synced late in the recording process must have been good fun!

No wonder records cost a fortune back then.

The 25th anniversary Deluxe version is listed on Real World site at £50 plus delivery.

https://store.realworld.co.uk/product/peter-gabriel/4-box-sets/so-deluxe-box-set/

Darren likes this.
  5. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Having finally read the article, I have checked my collection and find I have a copy of almost every version mentioned. The only one I don’t have is the 2002 remastered CD. Which is fine. When I get a chance I’ll give many of them a listen and see if I can hear the differences mentioned.

6. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Just original issue CD for me.
    Enjoyed the back story!

7. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Great breakdown of In Your Eyes here. This guy gets the original multi-tracks...

8. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Fantastic read, thanks for the link. For anyone buying the delux box set, beware! All 4 cds in the set I got recently were really badly damaged, 3 of them wouldn’t play at all and 1 cd skipped all over the place. I was sent 4 replcement cds but 1 of them skipped as well (1st cd of the live set).

9. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Was that bought from Real World?

Is the book any good as I'd like that as a momento. I read that you can still get the hi-res audio download if you email them the code (the B&W download page originally issued is dead)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Gingerbeard likes this.
  11. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

12. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Yes it was direct from Real World. The book is a very well made and great to look though, we’ll worth it if you are a fan. I already have the hires files and got them from a mate a few years ago. I’ll email Real World to see if they are still available to download.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Real World will send you a link with the files in return for you sending them the unique code from the box. I did this last month.

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

15. deebster

deebster pfm Member

I've still got ticket stubs from 2 of the Birmingham NEC gigs on the tour. £13 it was. Maybe I could get my money back?

Also got some photos, including him crowd-surfing a few yards away from where I was.

Remember being disappointed that he didn't open the shows with Big Time.

16. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yeah, it was the tour program I really wanted. They normally sell for more.

The one that 'got away' for me though was David Rhodes eBaying his platinum So record. If I wasn't in Nth Ireland I'd have bid for it. It needed to picked up to get the photo with David to prove provenance in the future It sold for about £800 I recall ..

17. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

What formats were you able to download?
    I've emailed them but haven't had a reply so far.

18. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I remember being there at the NEC. Had VIP tickets as my then business partner was a cousin of Peter Gabriel. I seem to remember a long time to get out of the car park. Other details are hazier, but we had a great time.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

They originally sent the incorrect files (24/96 from vinyl reissues), but I requested the correct 25th Anniversary 24/48 files and they sent a link to those. I downloaded flac.

20. MrMac

MrMac Active Member

After a recent demo by my local hifi dealer he left by accident a memory stick with this album on.
    When I rang to offer to return he kindly said just keep.
    I am now enjoying PG.