advertisement

Perry Mason meets the beatniks

Robert Vaughn. That’s the chap. A bit lax when it comes to holding on to his vowels. Met him once, in a bar. Surprisingly short.

But taller than David McCallum
Strange - according to all internet sources Robert was the same height as me, but it certainly didn’t seem that way when we met. Perhaps I had accidentally borrowed Alan Ladd’s boxes to stand on and subsequently forgot about it.

In a supporting role was one Bobby Troupe, as a moody hipster pianist who didn’t dig squares, man. The name seemed familiar so I Googled him. His main claims to fame were writing Route 66 and producing Julie London’s hit records.
He helped Julie produce three children too.

On another Perry Mason-related theme, one of the regulars is a policeman called Lieutenant Tragg, played by an actor at least ten years too old for the part (he was 70 when the programme was first broadcast). Most characters pronounce his title as 'Lootenant', but the District Attorney, and sometimes the Judge, pronounce it as 'Leftenant', in the British-English way.

Of course logically the US-English pronunciation is more correct, since even the British pronounce the word 'lieu' as 'loo' (as in time off in lieu').

advertisement

Back