advertisement

Pearl Jam Curious…

JTC

PFM Villager...
Decided to investigate further after a few RP spins that have ticked boxes.

Where’s best to start? Or is a ‘best of’ sufficient?

Ten and then Versus.
Great band, Ten is an absolute 10/10 album, all killer no filler, for me personally their best LP, I'd also recommend 'Temple of the Dog' (self titled) a 'grunge supergroup' and Mad Season 'Above' .
Pearl Jam /Eddie Vedder have made some quite different sounding records, from solo acoustic (Vedder) to collaboration with Neil Young, some records are a bit more punk than rock so maybe worthwhile having a 'free' listen on a digital platform to see what you prefer, the Unplugged album is excellent too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ten is still top dog in my book, followed by Yield. Third place goes to Vitalogy.
I've not listened to vs since its release, I found it so disappointing after Ten. I really should give it a spin with fresh ears...

Album-wise, I only care about Ten, Vs and Vitalogy. I stopped listening after that (although I still revisit those albums frequently, especially Ten) so I have no idea how they evolved.

This is essential, though:
OTY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

As above, start with ten. 10/10.
Also have a listen to the Singles soundtrack, it has a couple of good pearl jam tracks an other associated music.

Sold off all the Pearl Jam vinyl on Ebay a couple of years ago. All original first pressings.
Only one I kept was Vitalogy.

Last edited:
Ten.
Vitalogy.

If you want a compilation, Rearviewmirror could be worse, not least because it has State of Love and Trust on it.

Vs (which is a great album, but suffers from not being Ten, and neither being Vitalogy) and Unplugged have their moments.

Left-field recommendation: start with Live on Two Legs. They're really at the top of their game here. The versions of "Given to Fly" and "Go" in particular are pure Pearl Jam energy.

advertisement

Back