advertisement

Peak foo?

Woodface

pfm Member
Just opened a newsletter from Tom Tom, one of the headline products is the ‘Chord Company Bridge’. This is a shorting plug for naim products like the NDX, £500!

It is a shorting plug for the power supply port. £500! It reduces high frequency noise apparently.

£500!

Not quite peak foo because at least it functions, even if it makes bugger all difference (and it will make bugger all difference). Real foo is things like stones that you place on top of components that allegedly purify the signals inside the product... or blocks of Perspex with glitter in them that you simply place in the room... and pay £10k for. You don’t really see these kinds of things any more, probably because advertising/trade descriptions legislation has pushed them out of existence. That chord shorting plug is pushing it though!

Not quite peak foo because at least it functions, even if it makes bugger all difference (and it will make bugger all difference). Real foo is things like stones that you place on top of components that allegedly purify the signals inside the product... or blocks of Perspex with glitter in them that you simply place in the room... and pay £10k for. You don’t really see these kinds of things any more, probably because advertising/trade descriptions legislation has pushed them out of existence. That chord shorting plug is pushing it though!
Do you remember that swamp Ebony or whatever it was that was being marketed about 20 years ago? Just a small lump on your rack was supposed to make a massive difference! (well according to the advertising blurb)

I think you are too kind, it is Russ Andrews level of foo. I mean, you can actually get one of naim's own P/S, albeit 2nd hand, for the same money. Totally bizarre, I have now unsubscribed from Tom Tom for this reason.

Do you remember that swamp Ebony or whatever it was that was being marketed about 20 years ago? Just a small lump on your rack was supposed to make a massive difference! (well according to the advertising blurb)
Yeah that’s the kind of crap I was talking about.:D

I think you are too kind, it is Russ Andrews level of foo. I mean, you can actually get one of naim's own P/S, albeit 2nd hand, for the same money. Totally bizarre, I have now unsubscribed from Tom Tom for this reason.
Indeed... £500 could also buy you some real tangible acoustic improvements from someone like GIK acoustics... or a load of new music.

By your logic a £5 green pen that you color the edges of your CDs with, that does nothing, is peak foo. But this £17,990.00 mains cable isn't peak foo because it functions as a mains cable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32449177...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

No way. You gotta take price into account when evaluating the foo factor.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Was "Swamp Ebony" a product name, or are you referring literally to a piece of wood that was obtained from a swamp?

By your logic a £5 green pen that you color the edges of your CDs with, that does nothing, is peak foo. But this £17,990.00 mains cable isn't peak foo because it functions as a mains cable?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32449177...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

No way. You gotta take price into account when evaluating the foo factor.
Well that’s not really what I meant... for me, a piece of rock or wood sold as an enhancement device with a four figure price tag is peak foo.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Was "Swamp Ebony" a product name, or are you referring literally to a piece of wood that was obtained from a swamp?
It was some ebony that came from a swamp it had some African sounding name but I don't remember what. Mungu or something like that?

Mpingo is a well known timber even in the UK, but only for high class/value uses (and foo, it seems...)

advertisement

Back