advertisement

Paypal Security

davidjt

pfm Member
Not for the first time, using my Paypal account has triggered a spoof email about a non-existent ebay dispute and refund: they are fairly easy to spot and only a problem if you click on a link in the text.

Prior to that, on the day after the transaction I noticed a missed phone call: on returning it I got a convincing 'please hold' recording ostensibly from my bank and lasting some time. The call was then 'answered' by a member of the bank fraud prevention team attempting to verify the same debit card transaction. It was only when he asked for all the card details that I realised that he was nothing of the kind. There were several more 'missed calls' later.

So it seems that not only are Paypal accounts insecure but once breached your account can be monitored and used as the basis for a number of different scams.

Not for the first time, using my Paypal account has triggered a spoof email about a non-existent ebay dispute and refund: they are fairly easy to spot and only a problem if you click on a link in the text.

Prior to that, on the day after the transaction I noticed a missed phone call: on returning it I got a convincing 'please hold' recording ostensibly from my bank and lasting some time. The call was then 'answered' by a member of the bank fraud prevention team attempting to verify the same debit card transaction. It was only when he asked for all the card details that I realised that he was nothing of the kind. There were several more 'missed calls' later.

So it seems that not only are Paypal accounts insecure but once breached your account can be monitored and used as the basis for a number of different scams.
Maybe flag this up to PayPal?

I tried, but it seems impossible to do anything other than forward bogus emails. This provoked the same automated response as last time, from which it appears that little or no action is taken.

Could be a dishonest seller ? They would get your e-mail and number from a transaction, I would have thought you would be more vulnerable to actual theft if your account was at all compromised.

You've completely changed the password on your paypal account using something like Lastpass right?

Yeah that's what I do too. I have 2FA set up on Paypal, Ebay and Amazon, can't hurt to have that extra bit in place....

advertisement

Back