advertisement

Paul Weller

The local pub I use, is called 'Wellers' they named the pub after Paul Weller?

The landlady and landlord are massive fans! well they must be naming a pub after him?

They own there own brewery too. Most of the beers are associated with the artist 'Weller Weel' amongst others.
They invited Mr Weller to open the pub, but he declined.

I'm not a Paul Weller fan although I've got a couple of albums......I like the beer though!

The local pub I use, is called 'Wellers' they named the pub after Paul Weller?

The landlady and landlord are massive fans! well they must be naming a pub after him?

They own there own brewery too. Most of the beers are associated with the artist 'Weller Weel' amongst others.
They invited Mr Weller to open the pub, but he declined.

I'm not a Paul Weller fan although I've got a couple of albums......I like the beer though!
He doesn’t drink so probably not interested in opening a pub.

When Wild wood and then Stanley road came out I thought them his best work since The Jam and that he'd finally returned to form.... They instantly became two of my most played and fave albums.
I must give them another spin as they went, eventually, into that "I listen to this all the time, sick of that, let's try something new" category in which you keep thinking just that about an album until one day you realise you haven't played it for 5 years!

The live album "Days of speed" is another fave and it's all acoustic guitar live versions of familiar material.

Most of his releases after this time I've not been over impressed by but must admit I probably need to give them more of a listen.

When Wild wood and then Stanley road came out I thought them his best work since The Jam and that he'd finally returned to form.... They instantly became two of my most played and fave albums.
I must give them another spin as they went, eventually, into that "I listen to this all the time, sick of that, let's try something new" category in which you keep thinking just that about an album until one day you realise you haven't played it for 5 years!

The live album "Days of speed" is another fave and it's all acoustic guitar live versions of familiar material.

Most of his releases after this time I've not been over impressed by but must admit I probably need to give them more of a listen.
I am exactly the same; I seem to have gone off the 90s as a decade, probably don’t listen to much guitar based music in that mould.

I am exactly the same; I seem to have gone off the 90s as a decade, probably don’t listen to much guitar based music in that mould.

IMHO the first half of the 90's was the last good time for music... I await with baited breath the end of the thump thump thump everything must be dance/EDM/"R&B" thang (that has been around since actually a bit before then) and for something new and interesting to come along!

My copy of On Sunset has just popped through the door - finally. Only on CD unfortunately.

Edit: Seems to be pretty compressed I'm afraid to say.

I’m expecting my On Sunset Vinyl LP to arrive over the weekend. The tracks played on the radio have impressed me so far.

Stanley Road is definitely the album to buy. Why not add his hits through Modern Classics too?

I really liked True Meanings but it is quite different to Stanley Road

If you like live albums then Catch a Flame is worth having

As you might be able to tell I’m a big fan and have all his albums. I’ve seen him several times inc Albert Hall. Cracking artist

Love his Jam stuff too

114867538.jpg
;)

His version of this song with Martin and Eliza Carthy is worth hunting down, sublime just sublime....

IMHO the first half of the 90's was the last good time for music... I await with baited breath the end of the thump thump thump everything must be dance/EDM/"R&B" thang (that has been around since actually a bit before then) and for something new and interesting to come along!
It depends on your taste ultimately. I really like some recent artists like Laura Marling & John Grant.

It depends on your taste ultimately. I really like some recent artists like Laura Marling & John Grant.

I'm a big fan of Laura Marling myself but as always, when I refer to todays music I mean the stuff you hear on the radio. I seem to have to make this distinction every time I mention the matter!! Turn the radio in your car or home and on mainstream channels... the shite you will hear is what I mean by "todays music" you know, crap like Dua Lipa, Drake, Katty Perry, Lady Ga Ga, Mabel etc etc.

I'm a big fan of Laura Marling myself but as always, when I refer to todays music I mean the stuff you hear on the radio. I seem to have to make this distinction every time I mention the matter!! Turn the radio in your car or home and on mainstream channels... the shite you will hear is what I mean by "todays music" you know, crap like Dua Lipa, Drake, Katty Perry, Lady Ga Ga, Mabel etc etc.
I think you may need to try some different radio stations. Obviously 6 music is worth a listen. I’m pretty confident that you won’t hear and K Perry or D Lipa.

My copy of On Sunset has just popped through the door - finally. Only on CD unfortunately.

Edit: Seems to be pretty compressed I'm afraid to say.

Listened on Qobuz, couldn’t make it to the end because this, just boring. I’d like to hear what the vinyl is like

………………. eventually, into that "I listen to this all the time, sick of that, let's try something new" category in which you keep thinking just that about an album until one day you realise you haven't played it for 5 years!

So true for us old farts. The trick is to bear you comment in mind and rediscover stuff - it produces that self-satisfied feeling to an absolute T.

I'm still discovering new stuff and old, which makes for an insane bill for hard copy every month...……………. and even more for that "sick of that, let's try something new" category.

P.S. Laura Marling is far from "recent".

I think you may need to try some different radio stations. Obviously 6 music is worth a listen. I’m pretty confident that you won’t hear and K Perry or D Lipa.

My entire point is to NOT go looking for "good music"... but to just switch on, during the day, the most popular stations and see what is playing = shite.

For me the only newish or interesting music that has came along since the early 90's has been trip-hop, Massive Attack, Portishead, etc and QOTSA, though still even in these bands you can here their influences coming through, there's other newish bands that I like playing good rock/ pop etc but not really new sounding, though there's some bloody awful stuff too but I guess there always was in any decade.

My entire point is to NOT go looking for "good music"... but to just switch on, during the day, the most popular stations and see what is playing = shite.
Well if you are going to switch on Shite stations then you are going to hear shite music. What stations are you switching on?

Sadly, at the moment at least, Stanley Road LP is somewhat worse than cheap. I shall keep an eye open....

@Darren L needs to get out more, and also perhaps realise that there really is (almost) nothing new under the sun, and stop searching for it.

What the hell constitutes "new" anyway?

I listen to not much more than R4 but still pick up on new, new music, although I have no idea where from TBH. I buy a few LPs every month and over half are less than 12 months from release.

advertisement

Back