advertisement

Paul McCartney venerated

Lennon was a saint so yoko took the flak, I think macca took more stick as he had been engaged to cake lady (Asher?) who was the English rose the public favoured. Also Lennon was viewed as dodgy having been married and macca was boy next door.

I think Lennon was a bit too much of a jealous wife-beater sort in his younger days to be considered a saint tbh. One of Yoko's great achievements was to make him want to be a better man.

Macca wanted to be liked, Lennon seemed to go out of his way to annoy people. As the great Nik Cohn put it, The Beatles balanced each other out; John was sarky, Paul was smooth, George was quiet, Ringo was cuddly. That was partly why they appealed to so many people.

Always
Preferred McCartney to Lennon. I find Lennon cold and hard as a writer and he had a bitchy rather than sarcy attitude. Oasis are already in the past whereas McCartney continues to live on. You’ve got two sub par Lennons in Oasis, one with a voice like a chainsaw, the other a Beatles Wannabe. They had their time . The Beatles continue to have their time.

Always
Preferred McCartney to Lennon. I find Lennon cold and hard as a writer and he had a bitchy rather than sarcy attitude. Oasis are already in the past whereas McCartney continues to live on. You’ve got two sub par Lennons in Oasis, one with a voice like a chainsaw, the other a Beatles Wannabe. They had their time . The Beatles continue to have their time.
I've heard people say they don't like Lennon and fair enough, but a cold and hard writer, I don't get that.

Indeed. Yoko was the best Beatle.

Her fault or not, at least the Beatles quit in time. Think having to sustain yet another 'last' tour planned for 2022...

The real greatnes, IMO, was John and Paul together. One finishing of the others song, taking it from good to great.

This is lovely:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/10/18/paul-mccartney-doesnt-really-want-to-stop-the-show

'Stella McCartney was in tears when she watched the film with her father. “It did occur to me, watching it, that we spent a lot of our childhood with Dad recovering from the turmoil and the breakup,” she told me. “Can you imagine being such a critical part of that creation and then having it crumble? And, as children, we were part of a process in which our dad was mourning. It was not an easy thing for Dad, and it lasted for a lot longer than we probably knew.”

Sean Lennon, who was five when his father was killed and who now, with Yoko Ono’s having withdrawn from public life, represents the family’s interests in the Beatles business, told me, “Time has sort of made us all grow to soften our edges and appreciate each other much more. Paul is a hero to me, on the same shelf as my dad. My mom loves Paul, too, she really appreciates him. They’ve had tensions in the past, and no one is trying to deny it. But all the tension we ever had, hyperbolized or not, makes it a real story about real human beings.”'

Nice little story about Abbey Rd in an obituary of Lizzie Bravo. She was a Brazilian teenager and avid Beatles fan that was so devastated when they stopped touring she persuaded her parents to give her a plane ticket to London for her sixteenth birthday. For the next two an a half years she spent all her free time outside the studio to get close to the Fab Four. These girls were known by the Beatles as the apple scuffs.
One evening they were recording a Lennon song called ‘Across the Universe’ they just couldn’t get right; they needed some female backing but it was a Sunday evening. Paul decided to check out if any of the ‘scruffs’ could “hold a high note?”. Two girls could and spent the next two hours in close contact with their idols alternatively sharing a microphone with both John and Paul. Lizzie recalls her heart beating so hard when John (her favourite) asked her to come closer to him to sing together that she was convinced the mic would pick it up!
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...b?shareToken=70530a93d1465cc94a517c19d3399219

It’s behind a paywall but you may get access as click bait.

I wasn't keen on McCartney in the 60s. Lennon was more edgy and Harrison was more hippy.. which made them cool..

But.. If McCartney had only written Yesterday, he'd have done enough to earn a lasting reputation.. and of course he did much more. I also wasn't over-keen on Wings. But, Tony Coburn of the Cavern Club Beatles, and Pure McCartney, has introduced me to a few of McCs later songs, which are really rather good.

The man is a living legend, and that must make it really difficult for him to profess an opinion on anything without someone having a go at him. I think he's OK.

Last edited:
I remember being in the UK for the Olympics in London in the opening ceremony Paul McCartney came on and to a Manjack everyone in the English household where we were staying said oh no not him again – why are they rolling him out – and I thought gosh they really do not appreciate what they have here.

.sjb

advertisement

Back