advertisement

Paul Barrere (Little Feat) RIP

Ptah

pfm Member
Feat's second guitarist has died after a battle with liver disease, sadly. I was lucky enough to see the band at the Trowbridge village pump festival (!!) in 2010 (I think) - possibly one of the costs that caused that festival to go temporarily bust. The band were spectacularly good, especially the originals Richie Hayward (I've not heard a drummer like him) and Bill Payne (wondrous keyboard music), but it was Barrere who fronted the band and sang all the Lowell songs. The rest of the group were as per the 73-79 lineup.

Feat suffered a downturn in their UK reputation after 1976 thanks to the British music press's post-77 'year zero' attitude to music. Lowell's rep as singer/songwriter survived but Payne and Barrere tended to be 'blamed' for the proggier aspects of the later stuff. In hindsight I would say this is b**x and the NME in particular should be ashamed... but that's another story.

I saw the original line up at the Rainbow I think it was 1977 they were 2nd billing to the Doobie Brothers it was sponsored by Warner Bros I’ve got an LP somewhere. Graham Central station where also on the bill, Little Feat stole the show simply amazing, Lowell George a gifted singer / songwriter and slide guitarist.

Regards,

Martin

ouch! this is sad to hear. one of my fav bands, pre and post lowell. seen them many times and i'm sorry, sorry, sorry to hear this. i can't think of any band that comes/came close to playing such good music in a live situation. a *really* tight rhythm section with world class front line.

Caught them at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1976, stunning band. Didn't really listen to their albums after the Last Record Album though. Never seemed to quite capture their greatness in the studio but the Electric Lycanthrope bootleg was one of the best live albums ever!

I saw the original line up at the Rainbow I think it was 1977 they were 2nd billing to the Doobie Brothers it was sponsored by Warner Bros I’ve got an LP somewhere. Graham Central station where also on the bill, Little Feat stole the show simply amazing, Lowell George a gifted singer / songwriter and slide guitarist.

Regards,

Martin

I was at one of the 4 August 1977 concerts that formed most of the Waiting for Columbus double live album and they were really excellent, but almost painfully loud if I remember correctly. I have all the original lineup albums and a few later ones, but they were at their best live.

RIP Paul Barrere.

RIP Paul Barrere.

A fave band of mine. Always thought they deserved to be much bigger still... as in Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles type big...

Terrible news. RIP Spotcheck Billy

I was hoping against hope that they would swing by the UK again, as the last time here was a one night stand in Islington a few years ago. Not gonna happen now, and I will miss his playing. It was bad enough losing Ritchie

I saw Little Feat a number of times during the Seventies, including at The Rainbow. Never after Lowell George died though. It was at that point that Paul Barrere stepped up, I think.

Barrere got bad press at times by being unfavourably compared to George, but I really like his guitar style and the fusion/jazzy element he bought to the band.

Oh well ... RIP.

Jack

I was in Backs Records in Norwich in the late 1970s and though it had a reputation for new wave music I asked the guy behind the counter if he knew anything about this band called Little Feat. At this, he jumped over the counter and I have to say I wondered if I'd made a stupid error. It turned out that they had been one of his favourite bands before he got into punk and new wave. Over the next few years I ended up buying most of their albums from him. Great band so sad to hear this news.

Saw him in an acoustic duo with Fred Tackett at St Georges in Bristol quite a few years ago and it remains one of my favourite gigs.

There are a few recordings of this version of Little Feat which are well worth searching out if you've never heard them IMHO

Saw him in an acoustic duo with Fred Tackett at St Georges in Bristol quite a few years ago and it remains one of my favourite gigs.

There are a few recordings of this version of Little Feat which are well worth searching out if you've never heard them IMHO

Do you have a link or a specific name that I could search for to find them ?

"Electric Lycanthrope" was a great and widely available boot taken from a radio broadcast ISTR. I believe it now has a "legal" (copyright loophole) release.

advertisement

Back