advertisement

pasta machine ideas

Rockmeister

pfm Member
I fancy making my own pasta..I can do the recipe ok but a machine to roll and cut would be good I think. All advice welcomed...a pal has an Imperia thing which seems good. Maybe up to £50 ish? Ta.

A roller is essential, just a small cheap one will do the job fine.
I use a hand roller cutter for tagliatelle.
I've never had much luck making spaghetti, even with a fancy Chef attachment that someone bought me.

You can't go wrong with an Imperia. I have my mum's which is around 50 years old and it works the same as it ever did.

Just remember to let the pasta rest for about 10mins before you start to cut it. A wooden pasta tree can be quite useful. If you haven't got a lot of surface space. My favourite to make is ravioli with a butternut squash and ricotta filling.....

This is the sort of thing that someone may have in the back of a cupboard, no longer used.

It’s fun and satisfying to make your own pasta, but I bet many people give up and go back to dried.

It would be worth asking around to see if someone has one you could borrow, to see how you get on with it.

Imperia is good and the mechanism for adjusting the gap between the rollers is easy to use with floury hands. I think there was another common make available where you had to grip the adjuster, pull, twist and release, which was difficult with floury hands.

Kevin

This is the sort of thing that someone may have in the back of a cupboard, no longer used.

Guilty as charged, more faff than I need. Might go back to it when I have more time on my hands, like when I’m retired.

I expect if you ring up 10 friends and ask, you'll turn up at least three pasta machines, used once or twice and forgotten at the back of a cupboard. They'll thank you for taking it.

I've got a vintage Titania Tipo Excelsius rescued from the back of someone's cupboard in the early days of Freecycle.

I think they're still available for about £50; it's a good solid machine. Pity I only eat pasta a couple of times a year now.

I expect if you ring up 10 friends and ask, you'll turn up at least three pasta machines, used once or twice and forgotten at the back of a cupboard. They'll thank you for taking it.

he would probably end up with a few fondue sets and blenders too.

As soon as they make a pasta machine as easy to use as a bread maker i’ll give it a go.

I wonder if there is a dough recipe for the bread maker...I certainly make my pizza bases that way. But the dough is the easy bit IME.
Imperia sounds fine and there are a few on Amazon for around £30/£40 so I'm givin it a spin. Thanks for all the help :)

anyone with an unused wok deserves whatever karma comes their way. Unused fondue sets mark you as odd. Used once and never again is fine :)

anyone with an unused wok deserves whatever karma comes their way. Unused fondue sets mark you as odd. Used once and never again is fine :)

I suspect they are wedding presents that circulate in perpetuity from one marriage to another, until they are given to the great grandchildren of the original purchaser.

I make pasta quite often though usually lasagne for, well, lasagne.

I got a set of pasta rollers for my kitchen aid, I was concerned they would be crap but far from it, makes making pasta a pleasure.

I bought my parents a pasta machine 10-12 years ago because they fancied making some. Since then they have used it precisely no times, but they won't give it to me to try because they're going to get round to it.

Woks on the other hand I use regularly and I don't know anyone with a redundant one.

What puts people off is all the preliminary work of mixing the water and flour (and maybe eggs) and the throwing flour all over the kitchen table (for those who still have a big kitchen table) and rolling it with a rolling pin and cleaning up the flour that gets all over the floor. And washing hands, the rolling pin, etc. We had a redundant wok that took up space for about 15 years, a real iron one, so it was a mass of rust at the end. Another thing we threw away was two sets of coasters, presents that were never used.

We have an awkward corner kitchen cupboard where we hide all the stuff like that.

advertisement

Back