advertisement

parking charge, fine,

My sister in law has fought and won four times in court against parking invoices.
Many of the companies seem to play fast and loose on signage requirements and if they don’t follow regulations to the letter they lose.
yes I am responsible for a car park with some others , it gets abused and we looked at flash park signs etc . One problem is our dear brothers from eastern Europe do not use UK number plates so cannot be traced by parking tickets .

yes I am responsible for a car park with some others , it gets abused and we looked at flash park signs etc . One problem is our dear brothers from eastern Europe do not use UK number plates so cannot be traced by parking tickets .
No one in Europe can be traced now.

I got an ‘invoice’ from Aldi’s car park police a couple of years ago. They said I’d parked there for 25 hours. An email to their chief exec’s office explaining that I had been in for less than half an hour on consecutive days and I could show them cctv pics of my car in my drive in the intervening hours, soon triggered an apology and scrubbing of the fine. So if the OP has a very good reason why he needed 11 hours in their car park, it may be worth an email, although from what he hasn’t told us, I suspect he should just pay up.

Beavis v. Parking Eye has all you need to know.

I'm not sure it does, Cav, as the key challenge that took that case to the Supreme Court was about whether the charge was excessive or not. The judges thought not, so the case was lost. As far as I can see, Beavis did not challenge whether or not the terms & conditions for using the parking facilities were clearly displayed - apparently they most clearly were - which would likely be the only realistic challenge (if true) for the OP on this thread and one that has allowed others to succeed in the past.

Is it the Aldi on Radford Boulevard by any chance? If so the signs are pretty clear iirc. I parked in there a couple of times as my daughter was in nearby student accommodation last year. I made sure I was in and out in less than the 2hr limit though.
I don't think that car park is owned by Aldi, as it's just a retail park that happens to have an Aldi in it, so I'm not sure appealing to the shop would help.

I got stung last year. I went to an interview in a hotel and forgot to sign in at reception. A few weeks later I got an invoice, so I contacted the hotel and after sending them a copy of my invoice they contacted the company and asked them to cancel it. Needless to say the demands kept coming, so I appealed and sent them details of the conversation I'd had with the hotel. They rejected my appeal so I was left with a choice of paying up or going to court. I took the easy route and paid because if I'd have lost the case it would have cost me more than £100 and I didn't want to take the risk.

Perhaps the OP can report back on the state of the parking signs present? How often did they use the car park? Are they ‘regular users’. Will that info show up on the ANPR cameras covering vehicles going into and out of the car park?

I think England's laws in this may be different to up here in Scotland in regards to these private car park extortionists but I still wouldn't be paying it. It's not in their interests to take folk to court for a £100 fine.

What would happen if you cover your number plate with, I don't know, an opened up plastic shopping bag till you're past the cameras? Asking for a friend.

What would happen if you cover your number plate with, I don't know, an opened up plastic shopping bag till you're past the cameras? Asking for a friend.
A bit naff. Tell your friend he needs a set of those James Bond type rotating false number plates. Just the thing for avoiding box junction, bus lane, speed and anpr cameras. What's not to like?

I used a Aldis car park on my last holiday from Heathrow.
The parking charge cost twice as much as the package deal.

Wotta rip off!

advertisement

Back