advertisement

parking charge, fine,

Guess it depends on whether you think it's worth having it hanging over you for a couple of years, with letters and the threat of having to go to court...and potentially the judge just going by the book.
...particularly if you have no valid excuse, or proof that the penalty was incorrectly applied.
In reality, the cost of going to court is probably not worth it on the part of the parking company, but I'd rather not lose sleep over it...

Legal Extortion, pure and simple. I was once the victim at a conference (my parking ticket was not displayed at the correct angle after closing my car door) that my employer had organised. I, and I guess others, provided suitable feedback to the conference organisers, and that venue has subsequently not had any more of our business.

Legal Extortion, pure and simple.

The OP has told us he left his car in an Aldi car-park for 11 hours, when it had a 2-hour maximum stay - so he can't have been that surprised to have got a fine. It's not like he was shopping there and over-stayed by 5 minutes.

I've not seen that particular Aldi, but the ones I have been in do tend to be reasonably well signposted regarding parking restrictions. They often do need the restrictions as well - the one near us when we lived down south used to have the car-park half-full of cars from people who worked near by and parked their car their for the full working day, as their employers didn't have enough spaces.

My ex simply called their bluff about court. She ignored repeated threats of court action over a couple of years. It got as far as setting a date for the hearing and then the parking company dropped the case a few days before.

Many judges still throw these cases out, quite rightly in my view. Private companies imposing public fines is outrageous.
It is not a "public fine", it is an invoice.

It is not a "public fine", it is an invoice.

Indeed, and it has been proven in court that the parking company can go to court and force payment. Some people have ended up with very large bills by listening to internet "advice" about not having to pay.

I don’t think it matters whether the OP was 11 minutes or 11 hours over (11 days on the other hand :confused:).. it’s an issue of contract law imho. But only if you have the time and actually enjoy taking on and beating a parking operator which is less than scrupulous itself (I do), otherwise prob better to pay up and move along.

If you do want to challenge the charges, you’re going to have to show that there was not reasonably clear signposting etc stating the terms on which parking there was allowed. Quite a challenge, I’d guess, but as others have said, not necessarily impossible.

As above, if there’s any signage I can’t see you winning any case.
I hate it when this happens to me and consequently am scared stiff to park almost anywhere!

A Court Judgement for non-payment will result in a black mark against your credit score.
"A county court judgment (CCJ) can negatively affect your ability to get credit for up to six years. That means loans, credit cards, and even mobile phone contracts may be out of your reach."
https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/ccjs.html
That may not actually be a huge problem for some people? I'm not a legal advisor though!

My first reaction to this is you should bear a grudge and NEVER go to Aldi again. Secondly spread the word, as you are here, that Aldi use scum to police their car parks.

hi, i went to aldi, in notts on the 18/1/21, i was there longer than the two hours allowed, i have just received a letter asking me for a £100, parking fine, its headed by, EXCEL parking

A few years back I was returning from an Ashes match at Headingley and stopped off at a chippy. Empty car park next door so parked up, in and out in 10 mins.
A week later EXCEL letter arrived demanding £100.
Cut a long story short, told them to take me to court and I would look forward to seeing them there. They never did.

A few years back I was returning from an Ashes match at Headingley and stopped off at a chippy. Empty car park next door so parked up, in and out in 10 mins.
A week later EXCEL letter arrived demanding £100.
Cut a long story short, told them to take me to court and I would look forward to seeing them there. They never did.

Well done, total ****ers.

Doesn’t help though.
A few years could be pre 2015 before the Barry Beavis legal test case that established the legal right to pursue contract law cases against registered owners.
I ignored them myself years ago. I wouldn’t do it now.

Doesn’t help though.
A few years could be pre 2015 before the Barry Beavis legal test case that established the legal right to pursue contract law cases against registered owners.
I ignored them myself years ago. I wouldn’t do it now.
What is the worst case scenario?

advertisement

Back