advertisement

parking charge, fine,

graystoke4

pfm Member
hi, i went to aldi, in notts on the 18/1/21, i was there longer than the two hours allowed, i have just received a letter asking me for a £100, parking fine, its headed by, EXCEL parking, I did not see any signage, will go tomorrow for a proper look, they do have some very bad photos of my entry and leaving times, i did not get a ticket on the window screen, anyone had any dealings with these people,
i have seen people on the tv, not paying on principle and it gets out of all control, and they end up paying thousands, in the end, don't want that, :oops:

Unfortunately, until the law changes, they pretty much have you by the danglies.
Whilst it's a lot of ££, you'll probably sleep better just paying up rather than trying to fight it, particularly knowing that they are in the right in terms of the time in/out.
If you knew they had made a mistake, then might be worth trying...but probably not in this case I'm afraid..

Hmm... better to cough up and put it down to experience.

Only the most belligerent and determined are likely to find a way around what seems a fairly simple case. Unless it is obvious that there are no signs - but that seems unlikely.

Wife had a similar run-in with parking operator at a pub car park. Because she was not asked to 'sign in' as she entered - the camera system picked up the transgression and sent out a letter. Much furious representation to the pub management resulted with a promise to correct the situation - but it did not materialise. In the end she paid up, she has busy life and does not need any more hassle. Of course she and her friend will never, ever, on Gods Earth go to that pub again. Only just before Covid so have not been able to make a fuss on Social Media that would perhaps otherwise had an affect.

just read the letter more closely and if i pay in 14 days it will be £60, still a lot ,but i was in there well over the two hours, roughly about eleven, don't ask,

this was in a retail park,

Hmm, it might be difficult proving you were shopping at Aldi for 11 hours, unless you claim they held you hostage :)

If it were more reasonably over the limit, then it's always worth writing to the store and saying you'll never shop there again, unless.....

Not sure how you managed to spend over 2 hours shopping in Aldi? If you was in there all the time, you should have a case. The parking company will (should) be able to show evidence of entry, and your receipt will have a time on.
Contact Aldi and complain

Not sure how you managed to spend over 2 hours shopping in Aldi? If you was in there all the time, you should have a case. The parking company will (should) be able to show evidence of entry, and your receipt will have a time on.
Contact Aldi and complain
He says he was parked up for 11 hours. I don't think that the shop is open for that long, so I'd be inclined to take it on the chin. It's not as if you can really justify taking up the space that long.

It might be better to simply pay the parking fine, than to tip your hand that you were in public for ~11 hours during a deadly pandemic that has already killed 110k people in the UK.

Joe

I was fined for putting a O instead of an 0 for my registration in a hospital car park, i'd paid the correct fee, i wrote to the parking company telling them that i'd made a mistake with the registration and the reason why, they weren't interested. Scum

i have seen people on the tv, not paying on principle and it gets out of all control, and they end up paying thousands, in the end, don't want that,

As is often the case it depends on details. The advice above to contact the shops you made purchases from asking to have the fine dropped is good.

I was about to offer advice based on my experience 10 years ago but after first checking a point about car owner's and liability it looks like the law has changed further in favour car park operators. My experience seems to be out of date but there are plenty of websites detailing what can and cannot be fought successfully in the courts. Car park operators are scum and fairness is all but irrelevant both with respect to the operator and yourself. After a bit of homework if you cannot find a detail that you have confidence in I would advise paying the £60 and chalking it up to experience.

PS My detail disappeared in 2012. Others disappeared in 2015. There still seem to be a few but it has clearly become more difficult to be successful.

Beavis v. Parking Eye in the Supreme Court pretty much settled the issue. You can of course ignore the penalty notice but the parking company have up to 6 years to pursue their claim.

My sister in law has fought and won four times in court against parking invoices.
Many of the companies seem to play fast and loose on signage requirements and if they don’t follow regulations to the letter they lose.

My ex simply called their bluff about court. She ignored repeated threats of court action over a couple of years. It got as far as setting a date for the hearing and then the parking company dropped the case a few days before.

Many judges still throw these cases out, quite rightly in my view. Private companies imposing public fines is outrageous.

advertisement

Back