advertisement

Parcel Insurance rip off

spamnap

pfm Member
Can anyone suggest alternative insurance option other than the rip off deals the carriers charge?
Any insurance companies do it for example?

Good question, I tend to just pay it on higher value items.

I’d certainly rather send your Ikemi back with shipping insurance, it’s now in full working order (it’s not failed to play a single disc or skipped a beat once since I spoke with you last Thursday)... it’s cost you a lot more to replace it than the cost of insurance... but if there is a good third party company, I’d be interested.

I found a couple of insurance companies who do parcel insurance but one is based in France and the other in U.S. with only email contact facility in case of claim. That put me off although it was miles cheaper than P2GO etc

You can just take them to court, any carrier is liable for lost goods.
How about goods that they’ve clearly deliberately smashed the crap out of?

That’s one they really should be liable for, it’s one thing to accidentally drop and damage something but I’ve received extremely well built and properly packaged items that are totally smashed beyond repair and it’s obvious that they have been thrown hard, several times. Anyone else would be done for criminal damage but these arse holes seem to get away with it.

Stop......you're scaring me oooooooooh noooo!!
To be fair, I’ve never had an issue with UPS or Interlink which are my preferred companies. I’ve shipped a fair amount of HIFI with them. I’ve never used TNT but Linn do, or at least did, so I assume they’re fine too.

I’ve had stuff damaged with DX and Yodel, I had an irreplaceable XTC (posh sub brand of Orelle) CD transport/DAC “lost” en route to me by Lynx (now long defunct) and a Linn LK 140 delivered to the wrong address by Parcelforce.

I've used overland express & haven't had any issues....so far. They use regular couriers for the delivery but provide the insurance themselves. They are easily contactable via phone or email & have been helpful each time I have needed assistance.

Franchisee v. employee.

In the absence of data to show large profits from the insurance, there is one logical conclusion - the charges reflect the costs of administering the system, and claims.

How about goods that they’ve clearly deliberately smashed the crap out of?

That’s one they really should be liable for, it’s one thing to accidentally drop and damage something but I’ve received extremely well built and properly packaged items that are totally smashed beyond repair and it’s obvious that they have been thrown hard, several times. Anyone else would be done for criminal damage but these arse holes seem to get away with it.

really too bad there wasn't a more 'accessible' legal system in these cases .. *sigh*

Can anyone suggest alternative insurance option other than the rip off deals the carriers charge? Any insurance companies do it for example?

You can just take them to court, any carrier is liable for lost goods.

I agree that it seems a rip-off compared with the transit charge but you do have the choice of sending it without full insurance & then claiming if the item is damaged. A claim for lost goods is probably easier to prove than one for damage & whilst I have never had a problem with kit I have sold I have suffered the other way with something new I was buying. That was quickly resolved with a replacement.

The carriage costs are cheap so the insurance tends to be loaded to make up for this & certainly a couple of years ago the prices were doubled. I always state in my adverts that insurance will be payable at cost & that buyers should take that into account. One buyer was adament that he did not want to pay it & agreed it would be sent at his risk. The equipment selling price was low but fortunately it got there ok.

Alternative insurance is virtually impossible unless you are a dealer. The subject is a pain but you have a choice of paying the insurance or going through a difficult process to claim.

So far as I know your house insurance can cover it.
Think I asked the question a few years back and was told I was covered.
So worth talking to your insurer

advertisement

Back