advertisement

Paolo Rossi RIP

Cheese

Bitter lover
Another great player gone too early, he made us dream with six goals during the first Mundial I really remember, three of which during the epic semifinal against Brazil (a bit off-topic, I just had to youtube Falcao's dream goal, couldn't resist).

In hindsight it sure was a great Mundial, apart from the Germany-Austria Anschluss game, which was nevertheless easily outshined by two semifinals that have entered history. The other one was Germany-France, oh God would I have wanted France to win.

City streets full of Italian fans cheering and honking, it did sleepy Switzy a lot of good.

Spain WC 82: Brazil vs Italy
One of those legendary games you remember where you watched it.

Was that the same Italy side where a certain Sig Claudio Gentile appeared intent only on collecting severed limbs?

Was that the same Italy side where a certain Sig Claudio Gentile appeared intent only on collecting severed limbs?

Ah yes, Claudio Gentile, possibly the most inaccurately named footballer ever.

Back to the OP - Rossi was some player, was banned for two years due to match fixing, but was allowed back playing early to get ready for the 1982 World Cup. He was incredible in that tournament though. R.I.P.

Very sad news. Didn’t remember the ban, but do remember he was the player the age 11 me wanted to be after that tournament. RIP

Spain WC 82: Brazil vs Italy
One of those legendary games you remember where you watched it.

St.Ives, Cornwall, on holiday with my folks & sibs :)

And yes, I remember every school kid playing football wanted to be him.

RIP.

advertisement

Back