advertisement

Panic!!! Vinyl shortages, empty record racks and increasing prices! Get buying now!

Anecdotally, I was expecting two records in the post last week. One is now due a week late, the other due two months after initial release date.
Keep on buying vinyl. It'll get to you eventually and when you're waiting, get to your local retail and buy some more.

I’ve been ordering so much with a release months months ahead I tend to have forgotten about it when the doorbell eventually rings!

I buy lots of second hand records. For new releases though I'm increasingly buying CDs - I just got a bit bored of paying £30+ for an album only to find it's been poorly manufactured. CDs feel like a poor second but they don't arrive scratched, warped or pressed off-centre and they're often a third of the price.

FWIW I understand many small labels would also much prefer you to buy the CD. Larger profit margin (or at least more chance of not losing money) and less aggravation with returns. Plus CDs don't have a one year lead time to manufacture.

Does anyone under 40 but any physical media any more?

If the amount of cassette tapes on offer for new releases is any indicator, then yes. But I reckon it's more for the novelty and for collecting rather than for listening. Also, an n=1 anecdote is that my niece asked for a turntable and records for Christmas last year (but before anyone gets excited, I think it wasn't anything hi-fi).

I’ve got nearly two thousand classical lps I rarely listen to but, oddly, they are a great sound barrier so I can listen to my few jazz albums without the semi- detached neighbours having a hissy fit

also if you stack them on the outer walls provide good insulation for winter

advertisement

Back