advertisement

painting the plinth of a rega planar

wheres vuk

pfm Member
what paint should i use?

i'm familiar with house-work paints(Emulsions, enamels)... are these what i should use, or should i use art-shop/stationery supplies type of paints?

tia
shahreza

what paint should i use?

Whatever Jackson Pollock used should do fine. Remove all working parts, place bare plinth on a well protected floor, then try and emulate his work 'White Light' as used on the cover of Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman.

The result should look well cool, but will probably take ages to dry!

Tony.

Here, aren't you supposed to be in NZ?
I would prime and base coat it first with some aerosols. Halfords do a good range. Degrease it first (white spirits) and maybe give it a bit of a key with some medium-fine sand paper (try 240 grit or so, somewhere it won't be noticed first). A Pollock would look well cool.

Simon

hi,
treat it as you would car bodywork.
Use a grey/white primer according to the colour of the top coat.
Flat down with decreasing rougness of wet and dry paper.
Use dry.
Remove all dust.
Apply top coat and repeat the flatting process.
Try not to go through to the primer or you may get an "edge".
Apply final top coat.
Leave a couple of weeks and T cut carefully.

A lot of modern car colours need a laquer to finish, If you use one miss out the T cutting process and be careful with the laquer as it is quite runny.

dogrun.gif

Ibought a Pro-Ject 1.2 TT that got a bit knocked about during transit. Once i'd sorted out some amicable level of compensation with the seller, I decided to give it a lick of paint.
As John& Jake has pointed out , carefull preparation is the key. I did mine at work over a period of about a week. the Original plinth was black, so first of all I had to get the deck stripped down and any damage reapired (nothing major structural only cosmetic damage). I then applied about 3 layers of primer. I started bydoing the first coat one day and then rubbing back down and painting on subsequent days. Once the primer is nice and flat you can add your Decorative finish. The primer stages are good spray practice for the final stages. I used spray paints made by a company called Plasticote, they are available from B&Q ( Isn't everything). One large can of Prime and One large can of Top coat did the trick. This paint is specifically designed as DIY/Wood/furniture paint and so is Ideal for a Particle board TT plinth. It seemed to be quite hard wearing once dry. I flogged the deck on after I'd finished it ready for my next victim. it played pretty wel though for a budget deck.
Here are a few snaps that might help:
Sprucing up a Turntable Plinth

thanks everyone

Tony, i only have 'empty foxhole' by ornette coleman, cover is one of his own painting, a more chunky style! i went on the web and see what you mean about 'white', very textural kinda pollock.

SD, are you Mr. ARO? :) going to NZ middle of next week.

i wonder what the acoustic effects of a 'hard-shell' type of paint will be.

shahreza
(who's just spent the last 10 minutes trying to like the spyro gyra LP, but has now decided that goes in the 'To Sell' pile)

Shahreza
Yep, one and the same. Enjoying the Aro (a lot).
Have fun in NZ, we're returning home (Wellington) next year.

Simon

advertisement

Back